Worldcon Human Chess Match

BH, if you're short of people I'll help out. Security hassles mean there's no way I can bring any replica weapon, but I ought to be able to source a costume for any of the bishop roles. (Though I'm afraid I'd need padding to be Garth. ;)) Heck, I'll even MC if you like.

The problem I think many people have is not only obtaining but transporting costume stuff. Most of us are coming in via air, and you know what a hassle that is - not only in terms of security (even fake weapons are a hassle) but mostly in terms of packing space...

There must be a place in LA that we could all get some costumes? I mean...its LA. :P It would also make it far easier to raise the numbers, as we can get Sean and Reny in LA to force people to volunteer. :)

It could also be a matter of simply asking people on the attending list if they will do it.

Perhaps a much stronger recruitment attempt other than a thread saying "post here if you want to!"?

tbh...it's the whole costumes/finishing move etc stuff that's putting me off. I wouldn't mind doing it, and if you need someone to fill in I'm game. But no dressing up for me:P

"it's the whole costumes/finishing move etc stuff that's putting me off"

Likewise. I personally think it will be great fun to watch, but it's not really my kind of thing with the costumes (and us Euros are a wee bitty shy too compared you state-siders ;) .

I just didn't want to say before, as I don't want to sound as if i'm negative about it, cos i think it's a k3wl idea that will be wicked to see :)

I think Erik opened it up like this because a few people were whining and bitching about not being included in the original plans.

I mean heaven forbid that someone take the time out of their own schedule to plan the event, gather up the people and appoint them roles, and have it go off with great success. Egos and bitchery ftw again.

YW

Another lame eurocommie here!

Not really sure that I would have the balls to do it justice, but if you're desperate and ply me with enough alcohol :P , I might stand in somewhere (but no promises).

Just an idea - why dont you email the masquerade organisers and see if they can help out with the costumes? I know I wont have enough room to pack a costume and i'm sure most people who are flying won't either.

I plan on shipping a few things out there since I don't want to have checked baggage, I could throw in an outfit or two if people like. Since we're SCA we have a lot. men's average size (size med-large; 5'10" about 180 lbs) ladies size 14-18, height 5'8." A lot of the things are loose fitting, so they'd most likely fit someone a little larger as well.

If anyone is interested in borrowing something they can PM me and I can let you know in greater detail what we have.

I think there are also a few size 6-8 dresses for a shorter lady 5'4" (daughters--"top" not overly large)

Dub, didn't your mother tell you: if you haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything. ;)

Personally (despite being an archetypal Eurocommie) I have zero problem with dressing up in funny costumes (not just in private either ;)) and finishing moves. And Sean, after your splendid karaoke performances I cannot believe you would lack the balls to do justice to anything. Besides,who else could be Left and Right, except you and Reny? :P

No, she told me to be truthful above all things. :P

Besides man, the whole thing was supposed to be a gift to GRRM, so why cause static about the event if you're not in it? (Im not saying you did, but more addressing the griefers) I just think it sucks that Erik has been the one on the phone with the Con people trying to find space, taking his personal time to coordinate it, and he caught shit on by a few jackasses who felt "excluded".

As for myself, I plan on being too drunk to even stand at that point of the feastivities so Im definetly out. :P

YW

BH, if you're short of people I'll help out. Security hassles mean there's no way I can bring any replica weapon, but I ought to be able to source a costume for any of the bishop roles. (Though I'm afraid I'd need padding to be Garth. ;)) Heck, I'll even MC if you like.

I can provide the replica weapons for those that are not able to bring one.

The problem I think many people have is not only obtaining but transporting costume stuff. Most of us are coming in via air, and you know what a hassle that is - not only in terms of security (even fake weapons are a hassle) but mostly in terms of packing space...

Bah! Bring another suitcase.

There must be a place in LA that we could all get some costumes? I mean...its LA.

There are quite a few of these in the area.

It could also be a matter of simply asking people on the attending list if they will do it. Perhaps a much stronger recruitment attempt other than a thread saying "post here if you want to!"?

Lodey and I agreed this was the best way. However, I am open to suggestions and will try to contact each individual on the attendee list.

tbh...it's the whole costumes/finishing move etc stuff that's putting me off. I wouldn't mind doing it, and if you need someone to fill in I'm game. But no dressing up for me:P

Sorry Daj and Zak, but you would have to dress up if you want in.

Just an idea - why dont you email the masquerade organisers and see if they can help out with the costumes?

That's a good idea. I will do that. Thanks Ser Sean.

BH

BH,

We use their board names for the most part on the attendee list. Dropping a PM to them here on the board would be the easiest way to do it.

This thread is a good idea, however you are asking people to dress up in weird outfits and stand around on a giant chess board ;) Which reminds me are our squares going to be numbered for the weird commands like "knight to b5" or do we have to learn this :blush:

You could even make a sign up sheet and have it at the con bwb meet and greet and see if anyone there would be interested

Which reminds me are our squares going to be numbered for the weird commands like "knight to b5" or do we have to learn this :blush:

They will be numbered and lettered. We can't expect everyone to know and remember each space and the letter/number it corresponds with. :P

You could even make a sign up sheet and have it at the con bwb meet and greet and see if anyone there would be interested.

I was hoping we could be a bit more organized and have this wrapped up before we get to the con. However, if not, that is a not a bad idea.

BH

In terms of costumes, I would note that this outdoor event will be during high summer in LA, meaning fairly hot (mid-80s F/ high 20s C) and very dry (0.2 cm per day, mostly from the morning fog). Plan accordingly.

Likewise. I personally think it will be great fun to watch, but it's not really my kind of thing with the costumes (and us Euros are a wee bitty shy too compared you state-siders

Bah...shy. As if anyone who has met you will believe that. :P Ignoring the fact that Scotsmen wear kilts!!! A costume is minor compared to that.

And yes, I second Sean's nomination as Left or Right!

Too drunk to stand, hmm... pile him in a wheelchair and make him be Doran?

:lol:

But if anyone did complain, I hope they are doing their best to make this thing work now. Otherwise, it would look rather petty. :)

Thanks Lany for the offer. If I end up doing this, I might take you up on your offer. Although if people think that the stuff you can get in this "Halloween Adventure" store is fine for the thing, then that's probably the easiest option overall (I've no clue since as a rule I don't dress up. :P).

I do think we should make this work. It can't be that complicated and GRRM seems to like the idea.

Archived