Essos banners

Cozur

I was wondering what sort of banners the free cities are flying when going to war?

I always imagined Braavos flying the banner of the faceless god, with war being a somewhat deadly business, but what about the other ones?

And surely, more than one banner would be flown?

I think most of the fighting in Essos is done by the mercenary companies like the Windblown. They heve their own banners.

Illyrio also says something like: "You Westerosi are all the same, you wave your banners and expect people to follow". The "banner culture" isn't as big as in Westeros.

Since Ilyrio is the magister in Pentos and he makes fun of the banners I doubt they are any .

To be honest I do think that Essos used banners but probably not in the same ammount like Westeros does. I mean in Westeros every freaking little House has their own banner and some individual knights or lords have their personal arms. In the Free Cities I would think that each city has its symbol, like the Titan of Bravoos, and its under that banner that all the soldiers fight. Add to that, that banners seems to mostly have a military function and Illyrio isn't a military man and I think we can see how it comes around.

Archived