If you could ask George RR Martin one question about ASoIaF

a free shadow

I find his chapters more vomit inducing than black humor but YMMV.

Ideally, he should die in the first chapter. That'd work really well for me.

Well for me would have been if he had never been created, really. I know there are other characters who are even worse as human beings, but he is definitely the one I dislike the most.

If there was ever a POV character who deserves an offscreen death, it's Victarion. Kill him off and just let us know he's dead in TWOW (yes, I know this won't happen).

I'd be completely fine with this!

Well for me would have been if he had never been created, really. I know there are other characters who are even worse as human beings, but he is definitely the one I dislike the most.

Ah, ok. Then we're 100% on the same page, I wish he had never been created either.

Love your Pink Panther avatar BTW.

I find his chapters more vomit inducing than black humor but YMMV.

For a while I wondered if I was supposed to take him seriously. Then the chapters with the double sacrifice by both drowning and burning happened, imo the single most not only horrifying but absurd and idiotic act in the series, that I couldn't help but picture as some stupid meme about the dumbest and cruellest character ever convinced he just had a genius idea , and I decided I wasn't.

Also this line : "On wings of song I fly to you, Daenerys". I just can't seriously hate such a character.

Incidentally , that would be a question I could ask to Martin: What reader's reaction did you expect for Victarion? Horror and hate or hysterical hilariousness?

I'd be completely fine with this!

Ah, ok. Then we're 100% on the same page, I wish he had never been created either.

Love your Pink Panther avatar BTW.

You thought I was saying I liked him before? Seven bloody hells, no! I said 'hear hear' in agreement with your post! :P

Yeah, looooove the Pink Panther too! Ta.

For a while I wondered if I was supposed to take him seriously. Then the chapters with the double sacrifice by both drowning and burning happened, imo the single most not only horrifying but absurd and idiotic act in the series, that I couldn't help but picture as some stupid meme about the dumbest and cruellest character ever convinced he just had a genius idea , and I decided I wasn't.

Also this line : "On wings of song I fly to you, Daenerys". I just can't seriously hate such a character.

Incidentally , that would be a question I could ask to Martin: What reader's reaction did you expect for Victarion? Horror and hate or hysterical hilariousness?

I can understand where you are coming from but I just can't find it funny. It's completely over the top but reading it on the page just makes me uncomfortable. But I do agree that this would be a great question for Martin.

You thought I was saying I liked him before? Seven bloody hells, no! I said 'hear hear' in agreement with your post! :P

Yeah, looooove the Pink Panther too! Ta.

Gotcha. The quote you were referencing had the bolded lines so I thought that was what you were agreeing too. I understand now. Thanks for clarifying.

Edit: Spelling

Is Jon dead?

He's not. Martin practically gave it away at an EW interview when asked about it. His response was something like "oh, you think he's dead, do you?" We may not know what will happen next, but it's pretty certain that he's not dead.

First off, Victarion is hilarious. He's exactly what he's been described as from the very beginning: a gruff, straightforward, simple soldier of an ironborn. He's like a big dumb dog, and if he weren't so vicious it would almost be endearing. The burning/drowning idea had me in stitches. Other, more complex characters would have had an internal conflict, wondering "is the Drowned God truly worth serving? He has never granted me any results, and yet this new Red God has, in a short time, worked wonders for me and saved my life. But how can I turn my back on the traditions of my people?" Nope, not our Victarion. He just garbles the rites of the gods, suggests that he is giving them each their due (even though it's wildly inconsistent with either god's belief structure), and calls it a day. Ya big, dumb animal.

As for my question? I'm gonna go with asking whether Shae ever truly loved Tyrion, and was merely frightened into giving the testimony she gave/fucking Tywin. Some people might consider it a stupid question, and, fair enough--she seems as though she turned out to be the cold hearted whore he suspected all along. And yet...there's always that niggling doubt. She did say she loved him, that morning in the room full of skulls.

He's not. Martin practically gave it away at an EW interview when asked about it. His response was something like "oh, you think he's dead, do you?" We may not know what will happen next, but it's pretty certain that he's not dead.

And which interview might that be? Do you have a link I could read/watch that?

I actually wish someone would ask him this in a Q & A session after a reading. Why not? It's a valid question. It offers insight into just how deep Ramsay's hatred of Theon goes.

I also wish someone would ask him, just to see if he answers, whether Ramsay actually wrote the letter to Jon from the end of ADWD. I'm curious about whether he ever intended that to be ambiguous, or whether he would be like, "duh, Ramsay." If he refuses to answer, whoa, that could set off another gajillion posts, because it means there actually IS some intended mystery about it.

I don't think Ramsay actually hates Theon/Reek, I just think is a sexual sadist and one fucked up piece of shit who just enjoys hurting people in his control. I can't wait to see how many pieces he gets chopped into.

I don't think Ramsay actually hates Theon/Reek, I just think is a sexual sadist and one fucked up piece of shit who just enjoys hurting people in his control. I can't wait to see how many pieces he gets chopped into.

Yup. And the only reasons that Theon wasn't killed are that Ramsay remembers the way Theon treated him when Theon was Lord of Winterfel and as the presumed heir to the Seastone chair Theon might just be ransomable at some point. (I don't credit Ramsay as foresighted enough to plan on Theon's usefullness at getting the Ironborn to surrender.)

Archived