If you could ask George RR Martin one question about ASoIaF

a free shadow

I'd be stuck asking one of two questions:

- Why doesn't Dany spend more time wondering about her mother ?

- Why didn't Stannis at least send Davos to communicate with Eddard Stark, once he knew Eddard would be Hand ?

First off, Victarion is hilarious. He's exactly what he's been described as from the very beginning: a gruff, straightforward, simple soldier of an ironborn. He's like a big dumb dog, and if he weren't so vicious it would almost be endearing. The burning/drowning idea had me in stitches. Other, more complex characters would have had an internal conflict, wondering "is the Drowned God truly worth serving? He has never granted me any results, and yet this new Red God has, in a short time, worked wonders for me and saved my life. But how can I turn my back on the traditions of my people?" Nope, not our Victarion. He just garbles the rites of the gods, suggests that he is giving them each their due (even though it's wildly inconsistent with either god's belief structure), and calls it a day. Ya big, dumb animal.

I have to agree. The Greyjoys are such "born to lose" types to begin with, but Victarion is funny - his appalling sort of improvised piety / ethics makes it worse, but more entertaining than the "genuine" version as represented by Damphair.

I'd ask if Dragons are powered by magic or if they empower magic, similar to how the Others come when it's cold or it becomes cold when the Other arrive.

Then I'd ask if only the First Men can skinchange, which if they are I'd ask why. (Unless this has already been explained in the books and I missed/forgot it.)

Well as I am not young anymore and I would like to read the end of the story I would like to ask about the progress of WoW...but as that will not be possible I have to think about another question!

I would ask him if we will see Old Nan again...I don t want her dead and gone, I want her to be a descendant of the Children of the Forest, who has gone into a weirwood tree in the end and who will in a way help Bran!

• 1 year later...

Archived