Crazy things you did while reading ASoS (Spoilers)

Ygrette

yelled back: no, YOU SHUT IT, Robb's dead!

Uh wow, that neighbour of yours feels pretty bad about yelling at you now I guess. ;o)

Completely off Toic, but reminds me of a rock festival I went to on the weekend when Priness Diana of Wales got killed in a car accident. A girl in the neighbouring tent just woke up and asked what's the matter and her boyfriend answered "Oh, Diana is dead." - hearing that, she completely freaked out, crying, yelling "WHAT? WHY? OH my god, HOW? What happened?"

...and then her boyfriend obviously remembered she had a close friend named Diana and told her: "Ooops, no, I meant princess Diana."

I think she killed him after that. B)

When I read the RW I was so god damn upset, but not really for Rob and Catelyn because they died relatively quickly...I felt terrible for the Northmen because I was thinking to myself "okay the king may die but he just made Jon his heir and 6000 (or however many) northmen were going to come bursting through the doors and end the Freys line forever." But then I read that the 2-3 huge feasting tents they were all under were rigged to collapse and the cloth was soaked in flammable shit which led to the worst massive death since the field of fire.

I had such a sick feeling in my stomach when I was reading. I could feel it coming but I didn't have a clue how horrible it would be or exactly how it would go down. Never believed that GRRM would kill another wolf. :crying:

After Arya got whacked in the head I couldn't see thru my tears anymore so I put the book down for like 3 days then made myself go back and read it again. It was just as painful the second time and now when I do a re read, sometimes I skip it because I just can't take the heartache.

First post and I came to share my reaction to The Red Wedding. I've never felt so betrayed by a character in any form of media or literature as I have felt since reading through The Red Wedding. Took me five days to pick the book up to resume reading!

The surprise of the RW was only surpassed, for me, when I read Watchmen for the first time and you see those first few pages after the calamity happens. That really shocked me and had me walk out of the room just murmuring nonsense. The RW wasn't that bad but I put the book down left my hotel (I was on a business trip) and got a bottle of scotch before I delved right back into the book.

Seemed like the least I could do for Robb and Grey Wind was to drink to their memory.

I created an account on this forum also after the Red Wedding because I was furious that they had killed Robb and Catelyn; not that I truly cared for both. I liked Robb as a king and felt he could have done well; I was pissed that Arya was this close to being back with her family after so long. I was in my office at work reading the Red Wedding and cried immediately after for 5 minutes, then re-read the Red Wedding and cried again. Thankfully I was alone in my office so no one witnessed my sobbing.

When the RW approached, as I knew about it, I closed the book and talk to it :" Please make it won't happen, please tell Robb and Cat to go back", and then when Arya was so close from her family, I did it again, praying both the book and my ceiling "Pleas

e let her see her mom just for a few minutes, or please make that she will all save them".

^ I had a similar reaction, I knew that something bad was going to happen I could feel the tension incresing but it was much worse than what I as able to imagine I was in shock for the next couple of hours I kept thinking about it and couldn´t sleep :frown5:

On the other hand when I was reading the conversation between Sansa and the Queen of Thorns I was laughing so much that my sister came to check what was going on ! :laugh:

The day after I read the Red Wedding, I randomly texted, emailed, called, or otherwise messaged every person I knew who had ASOIAF, most of whom were friends but some of whom I had never really spoken to before. I begged them for reassurance that there was hope for the cause of the King in the North.

When Oberyn started getting a little too cocky in his duel with the Mountain, I started clenching the book so hard that it's still bent. When he slips up and dies, I was so mad - because after the Red Wedding, Oberyn-Tyrion's storyline is the one chance to strike a blow at the Lannisters - that I threw the book across my room.

While RW was definitely a shock for me, I wasn't as abashed by it, like I was by a sack of Winterfell - Theon utterly stupid and immature behavior lent to such a tragic consequences, that I was really devastated by the sad fate of ser Rodric and other totally innocent and non-warlike inhabitants of Winterfell.

At least for me - RW happened, sadly ,to the "good guys", but they've being a part of an army in a midst of war, so it wasn't THAT unexpected ("a la guerre comme a la guerre" - you may say).

I have to admit, that Catelyn's dismay towards the end of RW was such a tremendous piece of writing, that I was really moved by it (and I am definitely not a too sensitive person).

When I read the Red Wedding, for this first time in 2002, I was the passenger in the car and we were on our way to a one year old's birthday party. The way there involved winding, twisting back roads.

And then, "Jaime Lannister sends his regards."

And I started yelling, "NOOOO!!! NOOOO!!! OH GODS, NOOOOO!!!!"

The husband almost ran us off the road and I got a bit of a scolding. He didn't read the books until 2006 - 2007 so he had no idea what the big deal was. I then had to attend this happy little birthday party and pretend like everything was okay all the while I felt like I should have been attending a funeral.

< sigh >

Hmm, it's been a little bit since I read ASoS, I've been trying to get through Feast for Crows, but I remember a couple of things...

1. I always laugh at Tyrion jests... literally out loud, and a lot of times I'm reading at work during my break when I work at my job at the hospital. However, when I work at my job at the movie theater (my fun job!) I'm locked in a box office alone so I always make comments.

2. I remember reading the part where Joffrey gets killed while I was working at the theater, and I remember I was trying to read it in the middle of a rush and people kept coming up, and I kept grumbling "can't people stop coming to see movies?! I just wanna see Joffrey DIE!" However, when I finally did I was jumping around happily, and a customer who was walking up at the time caught me. When I realized they were going to blame Tyrion (which was after that customer walked away) it was an instant buzzkill and I believe I said something along the lines of "OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!"

3. During the whole Red Wedding scene from both Arya's side, and all other sides, I kept going "nonono... no... nono... noo! NO!" In various ways, and at one point I think I said "Oh now that's just messed up..."

4. The very end of the book, most will know what I'm referring to, I know I was reading it while my boss from the theater was in the room with me (she'd already read the books and was waiting for me to finish) I yelled "WHAAAAAAAAT?! Cat is... wait, WHAAAAAAT?!"

I'm very expressive when I read apparently. According to a lot of people who have seen me read, they say it's fairly amusing.

I got to TRW at the train too, and though I tried to control myself, since the moment "And Robb was leading Dacey Mormont in a dance" my hands started to shake uncontrollably. The old lady sitting next to me kept giving me strange looks and I just wanted to cry.

Then at home I read it again in Polish (I'm reading every chapter first in English, then in Polish, double the pleasure, double the pain) and I did start to cry. Of course my husband wanted to know why, even though he just started TCOK, and I told him.

The Death of Ygritte.

It was the first and only time i just had to let a couple of tears run down my eyes. After that i read this part over and over again and its one of my favorites of the whole series.

When he knelt in the snow beside her, her eyes opened. "Jon Snow," she said, very softly. It sounded as though the arrow had found a lung. "Is this a proper castle now? Not just a tower?"

"It is." Jon took her hand

"Good," she whispered. "I wanted t´ see a proper castle, before...before I..."

"You´ll see a hundred castles," he promised her. "The battle´s done. Maester Aemon will see to you." He touched her hair. "You´re kissed by fire, remember? Lucky. It will take more tan an arrow to kill you. Aemon will draw it out and patch you up, and we´ll get you some milk of the poppy for the pain."

She just smiled at that. "D´you remember that cave? We should have stayed in that cave. I told you so."

"We´ll get back to that cave," he said. "You´re not going to die, Ygritte. You´re not."

"Oh." Ygritte cupped his cheek with her hand. "You know nothing, Jon Snow," she sighed, dying.

The biggest pain about RW was how it slowly became obvious. We had laughs and relaxation of a wedding--even saw the Greatjon out-drink two men and was well enough to keep going. But then Cat's suspicions grow stronger and stronger and you notice some changes happening, as well as Walder's "heh heh" noises, and Roslin's weeping. Then when Cat figures it out and tries to grab the Frey (Black Walder?) it all starts to hit you--why Walder kept laughing, why the "good" Freys were gone, why Roslin was crying, why they tried to get the Greatjon drunk out of his mind, why they made sure Grey Wind was chained up, why most men were kept outside, why the music was awful--and all you can do is cry "NO! PLEASE NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" And then you see GRRM with a troll face, going "heh heh."

Archived