Crazy things you did while reading ASoS (Spoilers)

Ygrette

• 1 month later...

I was spoiled about the RW, so I knew what was going to happen. When I began to read Catelin's chapter I was in the train on the way home from work. I figured what was coming and just didn't want to start reading.

Then I got home and didn't touch the book until my boyfrend fell asleep. I forced myself to start and keep reading and started crying just before they killed Robb. I knew who was going to die, but I didn't know exactly how. I think it was the chapter of Davos, when I found out what the Freys did to Robb's body and that was quite horrible.

I didn't actually hate any character from the series until then. I even felt a little sad about Joffrey on his wedding.

But now I am an official Frey hater. I understand why the Freys were furious with the Starks, but they could just killed them instead of being unnecessary cruel.

However, after reading the RW chapter I cried my eyes out and had to watch some funny sitcom ot the TV to fall asleep, which I eventually did at 4 o'clock in the morning after 3 hours of trying and 5 episodes of Friends.

I'm just so sad for The Hound. I think he can still redeem himself. When Arya left him by the tree, bleeding and sick with fever I was like, "Aww, come on. Give the guy a chance to redeem himself."

Scenes with Jaime and Brienne never failed to make me giggle. I would read the book all weekend at home, by myself, and whenever I giggle, my cat would stare at me confused.

That scene where Edmure was being convinced by EVERYONE to take the wedding proposal from the Freys and he was like, "...mayhaps I could gaze upon her first?" And the Frey was like, "NO. You accept the wedding proposal or nothing." And Edmure was silent. And when it was just them -- the Tullys, Starks, and some lords -- again, everyone was suggesting he should take the proposal because it was a chance for them to win. But then he really didn't want to marry just some wench that Lord Frey wants to get rid of, haha. When everyone was at the table and he got fed up from it he just raised his hands and said, "Very well, I'll wed the wench! May The Others take you all!"

I just put the book down, laughed so hard, rolling on my bed. :P

I was so upset after I read the red wedding. I cried way to much. I also get way to attached to these charecters, so I took his death personally. I was glad that Cat died though, I really hate her. Obviously the ending pissed me off. lol

Scenes with Jaime and Brienne never failed to make me giggle. I would read the book all weekend at home, by myself, and whenever I giggle, my cat would stare at me confused.

Those were my favorite scenes in the book too, I absolutely loved those two together. I hope they reunite later on.

I giggled and pumped my fist a lot.

THe scene I remmeber most was when it was like 230AM and I was reading the scene where Jon is treating with MAnce that last time and Jon is all conflicted about if he's going to kill Mance etc... and then all of a sudden the woods explode with knights and mena t arms and horses and the wilding host is destroyed ...

... and the nighst start yelling Stannis... STANNIS... STANNIS!!!! And I yawped out liud because I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever read. My wife (then my fiancee), sleeping next to me, was not pleased.

Still reading A Dance with Dragons, but whilst reading the other books, I did a lot of squawking like a crow at particularly infuriating bits. Fine when you are at home (though I got some very strange looks from my bearded dragon who I kept making jump with my odd noises) but not so much when you are sitting in the pub. Trying not to post spoilers, but a certain scene in the snow with Littlefinger and Sansa got me physically gurning whilst other people frequenting the pub glanced nervously at me to see what sort of disgusting thing I was drinking. Suffice to say, it wasn't my drink or the lemon pastry I was eating.

I also find myself saying "It is known" a lot in general conversation. Much to the bemusement of anyone I'm with, particularly if they haven't read the books. Those people are often referred to as "sweetling".

And whenever people ask what pets I have, I no longer reply lizard; he is now a dragon.

Thumbs up to anyone who tells their partner/housemates that they are "going for ale with the bannermen" when trekking to the pub.

• 5 months later...

Heh heh I love that "going for an ale with the bannermen", A Menina Cebola

I have a few mates who are also reading asoiaf.

* We call our partners "wench" (not in front of them, mind!)

* Any time someone else makes a comment about the weather, we mutter, "well, winter is coming, innit". People give us strange looks then (especially if we are nowhere near winter)

* We went to a footy game the other day and shouted at some opposition fans "bunch of Dothrakis!". They thought it was funny - must have read the books or watched the series too

* my boss annoyed me the other day, and I was on a coffee break with some workmates, venting about this and that, and without thinking I said "my manager's such a boody Lannister". All the others looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language "you what?"

But the most crazy thing I am doing while reading the books is imagining that I get transported back in time leading a small unit of elite soldiers, slap bang in the middle of Westeros and dream about what would happen. Imagine that: spooking the hell out of the Lannisters, Boltons, Freys, Starks etc with your superior weapons and weird clothing but at the same time being completely lost and having to deal with vast numbers of enemy soldiers, strange food, strange language, not to mention a bit of magic as well.... and Others... and wights.... and dragons.

I know it's mad and crazy but I can't stop thinking about it.

when i first got hooked i would listen to the audio books at work...im a painter and we work in peoples homes quite often..anyways during the oberyn gregor fight i went in this lady's basement and listened to it like 3 times......i musta painted that downstairs bathroom once a day that week :cool4:

When Summer comes out to help John at Queenscrown I yelled out "Fuckin eh" on the subway. I got a few looks for that.

When Oberyn got his face smashed in I was on the subway again and yelled (not too loudly) What?? NO?? WHY!?!? Strangely I didn't get any looks for that.

I think Arya's chapter after the RW got the biggest emotional response out of me. It was so frantic and she was soooo close to finally seeing Catelyn and Robb again.... and shit had already gone down... I almost teared up... almost.

• 2 weeks later...

I cried during the Red Wedding and got some tears in my eyes whenever they mentioned that they sew Grey Wind to Robb. And the ressurection of Catelyn was so weird when I read it.. I had to put my book next to me and stare for an half hour to the wall wondering what just happened after reading the book.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

When a character appeared who I felt was really interesting (Tyrion, Brienne, Walder Frey, Varys, Olenna, etc.) I would make up a voice for them and read their lines outloud and perform little gestures and movements. It's lots of fun and sometimes I can't help it haha (crazy musical theatre performer here haha)

Sometimes I lapse into the ASOIAF way of speaking or say certain phrases without realizing it. Telling people winter is coming, calling someone a craven, using the phrase "rich as a Lannister", saying five and twenty instead of 25...

Edit: oh, good thing I caught and erased that spoiler 5 seconds after posting this. Whew.

I haven't finished reading the book.. and I am actually having a hard time with it. When reading aCoK, I flew thru it. I read the book in 3 days. This one is a struggle and I believe it is because I am really annoyed by Catelyn actions in the beginning. I have a really hard time with her releasing Jamie. I am not sure I really believe it. Also, I don't know why she thinks it would work considering that Tryion is no longer the Hand. Really, poor Rob doesn't have a chance with family like this. Although, I haven't read yet what happens to him, I know it isn't good because no book yet has had a chapter with his POV.. so that can't be good. And unfortunately, I read the genalogy at the back to figure out what happened to Theon..

Anyway.. the other night I had a 'Bran' dream. I dreamt of a crow trying to peck away at my third eye...weird.

Go beyond the wall, the answer awaits you there.

• 1 month later...

Was in mba school when i read that.

Red Wedding:

Threw the book across the room when Roose played his part ...missed my roommate by inches. Went outside for a smoke. Had a drink. Started rereading. Threw book again when Cat died.Refused to do any groupwork that day.

When Arya was hit by axe, i swore to take revenge on Martin somehow for Crimes against my favorite characters. Snapped at people for no reason that day. Replied sarcastically to all questions. When a friend asked what happened...i replied Robb, Cat and Arya are dead. The poor fellow was watching game of thrones season 1.

Joff's Wedding: Forgave Martin for previous crimes

Ygritte's death: Was devastated, did not do anything. Hated the line "You know nothing Jon Snow" before her death. It has become one of my fav lines since. Sometimes i say the same to my friends

Stannis at the wall: I shouted Stannis! too. Woke up roommates.

Oberyn's Death: how on earth did that happen. He was so close. just one more stroke and mountain was dead. but didnt do anything over the top.

Tywin's demise: "Oh Yes you stunted imp!" raced to a Lannister fan and told him "Tywin Lannister does not shit gold. Tyrion proved it."

I had to re-read the last Catelyn chapter because my brain simply refused to believe what had happened. For some reason I never doubted that Arya was going to survive the axe blow. Killing three Starks in the space of a few chapters would be extreme - even for GRRM.

Archived