One small fact: Joffrey was not evil

Cap Ou Pas Cap

I have been going through a few interviews with George Martin and found him saying that no character in ASoIaF is purely evil. And he added that "even Hitler loved animals". We know Ramsay Sno(t)w likes his beasts. Now what about Joffrey?

This might be the shortest thread ever, but I challenge you to post redeeming qualities of Joffrey. One (or more) small fact(s) showing that he was not purely evil. And "His death made me happy" does not count.

This will be either non-existant or a very interesting thread. Where did Martin hide Joffrey's goodness?

He tried to do what little he could to impress his father..in his own sick way Joff idolized Robert.but even this is nullified i guess when he tried to kill Bran for his dad's sake.

He is described in the book as starving for Robert's attention.

FACT:He did ACTUALLY want Sansa to love him,but also..sighh fear him :rolleyes: (nullified again)

Joffrey had very nice manners when he wanted to. Can't take that away from the little shit.

I saw an interview where GRRM made the point that when he wrote Joffrey's death he knew that 'everyone wanted to see the little shit die,' or something like that, but he also tried to write it so that you could sympathize with his fear of death at the end. And I think if we can picture what this looked like in our heads, or when we see it happen on the TV show, George will have succeeded with this goal and we will all feel at least a little sorry for this kid who is choking to death and terrified. So maybe the point isn't that every character or person necessarily shows at least some outwardly 'good' quality, but that inwardly almost all people have some of the same essential wants and fears.

He faced murderous rabbits with nothing but a crossbow. He's a young version of Barristan the Bold!

He didnt even have the Holy Handgrenade of Antioch! He also inspired loyalty in smallfolk as far off as the riverlands, remember "all for Joffrey"? What a lad!

Archived