Was Viserys Really The True Heir?

Dragonreaver

So should Dany find herself consumed by fire again, she would this time perish?

Well not truly, she has the blood of the dragon, meaning that fire wont hurt her. For example, in the first chapters of the book , she bathed in a pool of boiling water, and she liked it at this temperature, She held dragon eggs that stayed in a brazier for hours.

So i think the blood of the dragon runs in her , as she said "Fire does not kill a dragon"

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well not truly, she has the blood of the dragon, meaning that fire wont hurt her. For example, in the first chapters of the book , she bathed in a pool of boiling water, and she liked it at this temperature, She held dragon eggs that stayed in a brazier for hours.

So i think the blood of the dragon runs in her , as she said "Fire does not kill a dragon"

No Targaryens are immune to fire, read this.

Granny Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Revanshe So she won't be able to do it again?

George_RR_Martin Probably not.

Didn't Dany have a dragon human hybrid stilborn???? Plus her hair was burnt off in the books, but her skin untouched....perhaps she really is "the dragon".

The funeral pyre that resulted in the hatching of dragons is a one time magical event. She was unburnt in that one but Dany and all Targaryens are not immune to fire and they do get burns - *cough* Viserys *cough*.

Real fire-breathing dragons are immune to fire (according to Martin), but Targaryens are not dragons in human forms so they are not immune to fire. There was this Targaryen, his name was Aerion, who was foolish to think that he was a dragon.

He drank wildfire believing it will turn him into a real dragon. Like Viserys who was crowned with a molten gold, he also died screaming.

Also, there is this mindblowing scene with Dany in ADWD, so keep reading folks.

• 1 month later...

Whew, I am SO glad you asked this question! The whole 'true dragon' bloodline thing pertaining to the Tarygaryen's is a common misconception I see all the time. It took me ages to deduce what I'm about to refer to, so bear with me...

Viserys was the rightful heir to The Iron Throne, excluding the usurpers of course (calm down, Stannis supporters! :cool4: ). He was the last living son of King Aerys Targaryen II and Rhaella Targaryen, so excluding the whole 'fireproof thing', he was still a king.

Now, where does Daenerys fit into all of this? WELL. Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, as magic in this series is vauge and relatively unexplained, so I'm going on pure common sense for my logic here along with the shreads of infromation the books give on magic. So yeah, there are more than likely going to be spoilers.

SPOILER ALERT!

In later novels, we see examples of magic coming back into the world--for example, a fire enchanter in Qarth who previously had little skill in magic was performing large feats, or the Warlocks and the Undying Ones waking from their slumber and becoming ever more stronger, or even Melisandre and/or Thoros forging a stronger bond with R'hllor and gaining new powers from him. All these things have one thing in common; they occured after The Red Commet streaked through the sky, marking the birth of Daenerys' dragons.

It was the presence of her dragons that brought magic back into the world; that much is obvious. They are even described as radiating heat, which looking back now I believe could be an allusion to them eminating some sort of mysterious power. My theory is that even in their dormant stage, they possessed some sort of deep magic--and that being in the presence of Daenerys, one of the last decendants of The Dragon Lords of Old Valyria, their new master, resulted in a bit of their magic rubbing off on her, hense why she never burned alive in Drogo's Pyre. It was her bond with them that saved her.

But I believe this is only possible if Daenerys is in the presence of her dragons; if they were ever seperated, she would just be a normal thirteen year old girl again, and a burnt one at that. The same could have possibly happened to Viserys if maybe he recived the dragon eggs as a gift and was in their presence the most, forming that bond instead of Daenerys. When Deanerys described her dragons as 'her children', I think the bond goes much deeper than that of love, but of power. Because as we know; 'Dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power'.

Damn, I need a drink after that one...

Alright - Judging by my account name, I don't think you can call me impartial to this debate. Viserys was the true heir - clear and simple.

Viserys is perhaps the most villainized character in the book and undeservedly so - that's where this whole debate stems from: a desire to repudiate Viserys' rightful claim to the throne because he was made out to be a villain. However, a review of what he did and what he was shows the complete opposite. He wasn't a villain, he was a hero with a tragic tale.

Perhaps this isn't the right thread to rant about this, but think about his story line. At a young age, he witnesses/learns that his older brother (whom most of the realm revered and/or loved) was slain at the hands of a lusty usurper, his niece and nephew were murdered in a brutal fashion, and his father was stabbed in the back by one of his protectors. At this point Viserys had nothing to do with his fathers' reign, madness and persecution of commoners and nobles alike - he was by all means an innocent child. At the tender age of six or seven, he had to flee his home with his mother...why you ask? Because that lusty usurper wanted him dead for no reason other than the fact that he was the rightful heir to a kingdom that he never asked for. What happens while he is escaping Westernos? HIs mother, the only person in the world that probably loves him, dies in childbirth. Thereafter, he and his little newborn sister are smuggled into Braavos.

Now think about this: as a child, Viserys knew that he was being hunted by assassins and lowlifes hell-bent on winning lands and riches. As a child he had the acumen to keep not only himself safe, but his little sister. When they ran out of money, how did he feed his little sister and himself? He didn't steal. He sold the only things he had. And for that - they called him a beggar. I call that a survivor.

For years and years, he continued to evade the usurpers hired knives and keep his sister safe. Did he have a bad temper? Yes. Was he an abusive a-hole to his sister? Undoubtedly. Can you blame him given his past and the crap he had to endure? Not at all. He went through more in the first fifteen years of his life than most could endure throughout a lifetime.

Now imagine this. You're a young 15 or 16 year old boy. You've been telling your little sister who, in your view, killed your mother about this wonderful home that you once lived in that was taken from you for no fault of your own. Wouldn't you want some revenge? Wouldn't you have a little bit of blood lust? Wouldn't you do anything you could to sleep one night in a house without worrying about someone slitting open your throat and raping your little sister? Could you possibly understand why a young boy would develop sub-psychotic episodes of rage?

But when we are presented with Viserys, we never see the story through his eyes. No....we see it through his little ungrateful sister. Because we never see the story through his eyes and the backdrop of his tragedy, we never empathize with him - we hate him and we revile him. Danny refers to him as abusive and quick with a temper...so we hate him.

Then one day, you are given a proposal: an army will aid and assist you in winning back the kingdom that was rightfully yours, and kill the usurper who murdered your brother, tore your kingdom apart, and has been hunting you down since you were a child. All you have to do is marry off the little ungrateful sister whom, without you, wouldn't have seen the age of nine months. I'd take that offer in a heartbeat - you'd be dumb if you didn't.

But wait...what happens after you marry off your little sister? The leader of the army, your new brother in law, decides that he wants to take his sweet a$$ time making good on his end of the bargain. Then a little while after, someone whispers in your ear, "psssh...he'll give you a gift, when he feels the time is right and when he chooses." Given that your entire life at this point has been nothing but lies, dodging murder attempts and scraping for the bottom of the barrel, wouldn't you be frustrated and a bit skeptical?

Then one night, you decide to have a little bit of Dornish wine to soak your sorrows. You have one drink, then you say, "Jesus that was good, let me have some of that stuff from Mereen." Then you want some of that "stuff" from Pentos. Before you know it, your tipsy and you start saying and doing stuff you ordinarily know you wouldn't.

Now you have what I call "beer balls". You go up to the guy who did you wrong and confront him...I respect that. Now, what does your brother-in-law who owes you a debt do? Does he say, "Ohhh man, you know what, I did promise you that kingdom, my bad Bro...give me a few months. And by the way, I love your sister to death - thanks for hooking us up. She's the world to be homie." No, he has his mafia goons hold you down and pour gold over your head. All the while, the little ungrateful sister whose life you saved watches in utter amusement.

To make a long story short, Viserys was the most villainized character in the book. However, his story is the most tragic. Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar was really the tragedy of Brutus. A Game of Thrones is really the tragedy of Viserys. Doesn't this put the tragedy of Viserys in a different light? He was a forced villain - nothing more.

He was the one true King following the murder of his brother and the backstabbing of his father. Long live King Viserys, Third of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived