Football #25

Renasko

van Persie's Goal was too good.

Pretty happy with my City boys today. Adam Johnson looked a class above for that goal, as he sporadically does.

Could do with Tottenham doing us a favour tomorrow...

Liverpool's inability to score has transcended frustration and moved to a new plane of comedy.

Why does Mancini keep resting the players I have in my fantasy team? Sometimes I don't think he understands the primary purpose of the football league.

Liverpool's inability to score has transcended frustration and moved to a new plane of comedy.

It is ridiculous. Being comfortably top of the table for shots hitting the woodwork is not a stat I'm enjoying.

i've seen first half only and was surprised to see final score, considering how liverpool were comfortably a better team.

the only question for liverpool fans is what's worse - strikers being unable to score or the management saying current squad is good and needs no strengthening a bit over a month ago.

shola, shola!

ameobi saved me today.

today's derby was two different games. the first half full of tackles, fouls, cards and a well called penalty for sunderland.

the second had the toon coming on strong, stringing together passes and creating chances. the red card called on sessegnon was a good call, but tiote falling to the ground moments later to illustrate that he got smacked in the throat/face was shameful and humiliating.

when ba had his penalty shot saved i almost cried.

on the subject of penalties, the call was a good one. grabbing the shirt in the box on set piece is a penalty. but, why not call the rest of them today, good officials? there would have been another three or so by my counting.

once again, thank you, shola.

Pavel Pogrebnyak has taken two and a half games at Fulham to outscore both Andy Carroll and Fernando Torres this season in the league. One more goal today and he's equalled them put together. :laugh:

Seriously, what a start for him. What is it with strikers coming over from Germany?

AVB should've been given until the end of the season, same with Mick McCarthy. Why sack them if you're not going to make a proper decision for a replacement until then? Must be some assisstant managers! :laugh:

But it's mad, even worse when Megson was fired at Sheffield Wednesday with the club having just won their big derby game, sitting 3rd in the league, and then you consider how great Lee Clarke had Huddersfield performing, and then he gets the sack out of nowhere. :shocked:

AVB should've been given until the end of the season, same with Mick McCarthy. Why sack them if you're not going to make a proper decision for a replacement until then? Must be some assisstant managers! :laugh:

Well, Wolves is different in that they fully intended to properly replace him but fucked it up (their three main targets turned them down, including Curbishley accepting then changing his mind). And McCarthy had plenty of time. Still embarrassing, but in a different way.

I'm really not sure how we put 3 past Spurs just then. But our season has been made by having three wingers, at least one of whom has been on world class form at any one time. Now it's Young's turn.

sacking him now with the potential of the fa cup and the champions league still a possibility is saying a couple things. one it is saying that you are not going to win these competitions or it says you can win these things without this man in charge.

chelsea fc is probably the toughest managerial job in all of england. you have a giant amount of money, great players, a youth system that is good. all the owner asks is that you keep the dressing room fully in your hands, the players support you and you win. yet, somehow too many quality coaches have managed to fuck this up.

I was hoping Roman would back a manager, for a change. They really need a makeover, and it probably would've happened if AVB in charge, but no doubt the old guard will get an extra couple of campaigns of mediocrity, now.

And they do indeed have some good youth there. Players like Romeu, Lukaku, Mata and Sturridge are very talented. David Luiz is useful, he's only 24, and Cahill is only 26. Mikel isn't bad, he's 24.

Anyway, they should attempt to sell the likes of Lampard and Terry while they can get a reasonable amount of money for them, and rebuild.

I was hoping Roman would back a manager, for a change. They really need a makeover, and it probably would've happened if AVB in charge, but no doubt the old guard will get an extra couple of campaigns of mediocrity, now.

And they do indeed have some good youth there. Players like Romeu, Lukaku, Mata and Sturridge are very talented. David Luiz is useful, he's only 24, and Cahill is only 26. Mikel isn't bad, he's 24.

Anyway, they should attempt to sell the likes of Lampard and Terry while they can get a reasonable amount of money for them, and rebuild.

lampard? can you sell him? i feel he is too iconic of a chelsea fixture to put out. terry can totally go. he is all kinds of replaceable. i am not a chelsea fan at all. but, i have seen them enough to know of the potential quality they have available to them. i say you sell terry, raul miereles, and cole for certain. torres is not a lost cause despite what his goal scoring record in blue has suggested. i think they just need to decide to build a midfield around his abilities. it is a failure in all who have managed chelsea since fernando was purchased.

it is likely going to be rafa benitez who comes to chelsea. he can help torres find his scoring touch and chelsea find the top four.

I thought AVB's sacking was long overdue actually. He's just performed horribly with this team, and played like shit in nearly every game. It's hard to perform much worse with Chelsea than AVB's has done, so I don't see why The Russian should be expected to back this particvular manager.

Sure, several managers have been sacked already, but that is no reason to hang on to one who clearly isn't doing even half as good as what you expect.

Polish

Agreed that it is our wingers that are the saving grace this season. Valencia/Nani and Young have joined Rooney as one of the few bright lights.

well, paying porto 15M (if i remember correctly) for AVB's services sure was money well spent... NOT!

seriously, i doubt any manager would be given much time in chelsea, or any other top team for that matter.

days of giving managers a couple of seasons to make a solid team are long gone. nowadays boards, owners, fans and the press all want results and they want them instantly.

i think AVB should have been given the rest of the season, since di matteo will hardly do any better.

also, giving players leave to disrespect the manager does not look well for the next guy taking the job.

in a year or two, AVB could have been a great asset to the club (though there are no guarantees, of course), while lampard, drogba and cole certainly won't be.

Yup. Managers have to perform, and in a short span of time. That's the reality nowawadays, the days of adjument and building a team are over at big clubs.

As unrealistic as that may sound, the problem for managers like Villas Boas is that there are other managers who can and do perform well, and so they outshine him. There's no saying AVB would ever be a success at Chelsea and it makes no sense to keep him on in the hope of that happening someday. Too many other managers around for that.

That said, any manager would be hampered by that current Chelsea squad. I just don't think there's much in it.

Archived