Football #25

Renasko

ETA: I take it that this is the first time that Nicosia (or any Cypriot club) has reached the CL quarterfinals?

This is the first time a Cypriot club makes past the group stage AFAIK. Can't see they getting further though, unless they get Benfica or Marseille maybe. OTOH, if they get Real or Barca...

I just heard on the radio that there's a rumour coming out of Germany that Lukasz Podolski will be joining Arsenal in the summer.

i've heard that, but i've also heard he will be joining milan, inter and many other clubs.

pretty much the same as every summer in the last 5 years or so.

Unbelievable. 5 goals in a champions league match, and not the worst goals either. Has that been done before? I know there's some players who scored 4 goals in a CL game, and that is rare, but 5?

unless i've been misinformed, this is the first time.

i've heard that, but i've also heard he will be joining milan, inter and many other clubs.

pretty much the same as every summer in the last 5 years or so.

Well German media has been talking about nothing but Arsenal for the past few weeks, he's apparently been asking Mertesacker about the club and now someone has even thought up a transfer fee of 13 million Euros (30% of which will not be going to Cologne because of the way they financed his return from Munich in the first place...), so all in all this seems to be among the more likely speculative transfers of the summer.

Getting Podolski would be a great deal for Arsenal. I would really like for them to sign either Hazard or Cristian Eriksen as well to give them some real creativity in midfield. At least they finally have a top-quality goalkeeper again. And RVP is just a god, obviously.

Arsenal ought to sign Javi Martinez. Speaking of...

I'll be watching the United-Bilbao game tonight. Hope the Spaniards run riot on them. Llorente and Muniain back from injury, as well. :smoking:

I wonder if signing Podolski might be the beginning of a group of signings that will take place in order to convince Robin van Persie to sign a new contract at Arsenal. Everyone and their dog knows that this is the kind of signing Arsenal have been needing for five years. Now they should sign Pavel Pogrebniak: five shots, five goals, three games.

Really weird free kick and United punished when Rafael gets lazy and doesn't clear after another great save by De Gea, who's kept this from being an absolute massacre.

*edit* and as I type that a rather stupid penalty for handball

In fairness, good as De Gea was and dodgy as some of their finishing, their keeper also had a good game and Hernandez an absolute mare, it goes both ways.

Not that I'm saying we didn't deserve to lose. It was a fantastic performance from them, and a fantastic game, even though trying to beat them at their own game probably wasn't the brightest idea we've ever had.

What is it with United at home in Europe this season? Every time they've looked dodgy (except maybe against the giants of Otelul Galati) and most time have been lucky to scrape a draw. Annoyingly, I still see them progressing but I hope I'm wrong. Bilbao played some brilliant football tonight and hopefully they'll carry that confidence into the second leg and play the same way. The worst thing they can do is try to protect their lead. 3 away goals do bode well though.

What is it with United at home in Europe this season?

They're just not very good. I've watched so many United games this season and I can count the number of times I have seen a genuinely good, inspired match, on the fingers of half a hand.

Bilbao is a fair side, they do quite well in Spain, but United losing to them at home is to me typical of the team. I hear City lost as well btw.

Archived