Dany as ruler of the Seven Kingdoms

Ser Lepus

Too much blood has been spilled for Danny to make a successful comeback. The North probably still remembers Aerys and the gruesome deaths of Rickard, Brandon and Lyanna.

The Riverlands are too closely allied to the North to actually support Danny against the North(they might join her if she gets rid of the Freys - but at their present condition they are hardly a power).

Danny alienated the Dornishmen with the death of Quentyn.

The Iron Islands want to be free/ or rulers of the seven kingdoms themselves - they might be willing to use Danny's dragons but they would never bend the knee willingly without a fight.

Stannis would never bend the knee because he is Stannis.

The Tyrells and Lannisters are the ones in power currently so they would probably not want to see the return of Danny either.

The Vale probably wont be too eager to jump on the Danny wagon either - they fought against Aerys and lost their heir as well - Elbert Arynn, not to mention Kyle Royce as well, a member of the second most powerful family in the Vale.

Why would anyone in the seven Kingdoms want to see Danny return?? The only way she can win the seven kingdoms is to conquer them - and she cannot conquer all the seven kingdoms, her dragons are tiny and her armies are a world away(not to mention they are ill trained and ill suited to Westerosi conditions).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can't read other comments as I assume a lot of the commenters have finished ADWD and therefore know more than I do, I don't want to be spoiled. Just finished Daenerys II.

I am answering this because I have been seeing some worrying tendencies and hope that by the end of this book her development will show her correcting some of these.

Here are the good column items:

• She feels personally responsible for the safety of her people and is sensitive to their plight. She would definitely try to find the best solution for the common good.
  • She has legitimacy and it's been a downward spiral ever since the Baratheon rule started with everything teetering on the edge of chaos and a strong undercurrent of enmities flowing about. A targaryen puts all the other candidates to the side and they can focus on rebuilding.
  • She has Barristan Selmy on her side and soon Tyrion who is smart (but he might also count as a bad because of his bad rep)
  • She will hopefully learn that ruling and conquering are not the same. A trial period is probably more than most rulers get.
  • From the get go she seems apt at assimilating with her environment and the people around her which means she can learn quickly in different settings.
  • She knows how to turn apparent disadvantages into assets.

Here are the bad column items (which overweighs the good heavily):

• She doesn't seem committed to being a queen. I felt that the end of ASOS, she decided she will be the queen not the girl so I feel like she is doing everything by half measures and it's frustrating.
  • She doesn't delegate with the daily court happenings, she needs to have systematisation. She doesn't even think to establish a system on how to proceed with the repeated offences. It's strange when we know she plans on leaving Meereen for Westeros. If she wants them to change their ways, especially on slavery, shouldn't she want to build a system that would last after she leaves? That's why royals have councils.
  • Her dealing with Barristan trying to tell her the truth: all she wants to hear are freaking stories. She asks the truth but only if it sounds like fairy tales? It's getting irritating to me. I know it sucks, but she needs to understand that her father was a mad man that murdered randomly and her brother (as far as the public knew) kidnapped a betrothed highborn lady. She can't ignore what she finds unpleasant and arrive in Westeros without knowing what's been going on for the past two decades.
  • The dragon situation; since leaving Qarth she should have tried to find actual books to learn about dragon rearing. Again, she relied on stories and not actual information. I wouldn't mind if she didn't find it but I need at least mentions that she wants to know how to properly deal with her dragons. Slaver's Bay is near Valyria, surely Meereen has libraries? Scholars? Anything? She now knows she doesn't have complete control even though she had been warned before and even worried about it herself. More knowledge would be for the best of all involved, including her dragons.
  • Her assimilation aptitude and her ability to understand other people and cultures seems to have disappeared.
  • She seems to be devolving and almost more childish and delusional than she was in AGOT which is interesting narratively but is not conducive to her being prepared as a ruler.
  • She is not proactive, too reactionary in all her decisions. She both wants to be kind and ruthless, balks at doing anything that is too decisive. Her dealing with the Meereenese nobility is telling them that she hasn't got the balls to really cow them. The solution of killing some of them everytime one of her own is harsh but would assure that she means business. It is ridiculous at this point for her to take a moral high ground, the end justifies the means or it does not. If she has reached the torture level then being precious with being more ferocious with the Harpy's Sons is redundant. Does she have to be angered/provoked everytime for stuff to get done?
  • Unfortunately, Westeros is a place that relies heavily on reputation and traditions. She is essentially a foreigner with strangers helping her gain her throne. Religion wise, she is a hard pill to swallow for the High Septon. She is allied with no one from the nobility except for Tyrion, who is reviled ad blamed for the downfall of the kingdom, and that Griff dude (do not yet know who he is) who is an unknown entity, even to her. The biggest Targ fans during the Rebellion (Tyrells) are now allied with the Lannisters so she only has the Martells whom are also disliked by the rest of Westeros.

GRRM has mentioned how her landing is Westeros was originally going to be in the 2nd book before he decided to eliminate the 5-yr gap:

Dany's return to Westeros: GRRM is on record multiple times saying that Dany will return to Westeros:

• When he envisioned the series as a trilogy, he wanted the Red Wedding to take place in Book 1 and Dany's return to Westeros in Book 2.

• When the series was expanded to 6 books, and shortly after he completed ASOS, he said "the next book, A Dance With Dragons, will focus on the return of Daenerys Targaryen to Westeros, and the conflicts that creates" (link). However, he ran into problems with a planned "five-year gap," and decided to cut the gap and instead insert AFFC before ADWD. He later said (paraphrased) "that Dany's arrival in Westeros will take place in book 5 [of 6], A Dance with Dragons" (link. But a few years later he split AFFC into two books by POV, expanded the series to 7 books, and Dany's return was evidently pushed back again, presumably to book 6 of 7, which is now TWOW.

I think she lands. I also think this is after Faegon and the Golden Company seize King's Landing. And also after she gets rid of Jhaqo/Mago and becomes Khaleesi again to the Dothraki, will reunite the Khalasars, and head to Meereen with 20,000+ horsemen to get the other two dragons. I think she's in Westeros by the end of WoW.

Faegon's downfall instead of them fighting, tries to join her forces, thinking he's a Targ and can tame/ride one of her dragons like Quentyn and gets fried alive. Dany would then take control of the Golden Company at Kings Landing.

Dany has learned most of what she knows about Westeros and the Targayren rule from Vyseris, who made her believe that the Targayren were some kind of god-emperors revered and almost worshipped as living gods by their subjects (hence all that "blood of the dragon" crap she repeats again and again and again...she believes she is expected to be like that)

Is this where the stupid idea that she's "entitled" or arrogant comes from? If you look at her inner thoughts, she says "I am the blood of the dragon..." for morale, in the same way that Arya or Sansa does, with their family name/castle/sigil. And when she invokes her ancestry or her titles out loud, it's to intimidate her enemies. As well, it's a show of strength and power, for potential allies. Not once has Dany ever thought of herself as someone that must be revered, just 'cuz (unlike a certain other character). Quite the opposite, actually, if you read the text properly.

I'd address the rest of the post, but, just like in almost every other Dany thread, all your arguments are based on a flawed premise.

I think she doesn't know how to manage an Essosi city, if she doesn't know how to "surround" herself, she being the ruler of Westeros would be a catastrophy. After all the king of Westeros has a small council, but Dany lacks proper people to help her in most crucial aspects. Hopefuly lots of interesting allies are converging to her.

Second problem: even IF she conquers and save the realm, if she decides to rule, then...It would be the return of the game of Thrones, and she might become a bit like Robert.

Second problem: even IF she conquers and save the realm, if she decides to rule, then...It would be the return of the game of Thrones, and she might become a bit like Robert.

Whoring and drinking her way through Westeros, leaving behind a trail of bastards, and dreaming about becoming a sellsword in Essos? :lol: I would totally read that.

Archived