Prophecy or Old Wives Tale?

The Reeds

Warning: Don't read this thread if you haven't gotten past Bran's final chapter in the book.

I've been finding Bran's chapters interesting in this book, particularly the last one where they're hiding in, I believe it's Castle Black, and trying to find a way past the Wall. When they're inside, Bran is thinking about a story he was told where a man sought vengeance against the Andal king in his own house. The man served the king his son in a pie and he ended up being cursed with a rat's head. Old Nan said that it wasn't because he wanted revenge that he was punished, but it was because he slayed a guest beneath his roof and the gods will not forgive that.

Given the events we've seen in A Storm of Swords, do you think this story will have any bearing on what's to come? Or do you think it's just going to be another one of Old Nan's stories?

Think the castle you are refering to is the night fort. the first castle of the nights watch but abbandoned years ago.

Don't think the tale of the rat's cook has any hidden meaning if you ask me but it's just a scarry tale to tell children and teach them to be kind to visitors and don't go off killing any guests for as long as they are under your roof and shared salt and ..... some other thing i can't quite think of just now, for than they are under the guest right and no harm must be done to them else it is said you are a cursed man.

Warning: Don't read this thread if you haven't gotten past Bran's final chapter in the book.

I've been finding Bran's chapters interesting in this book, particularly the last one where they're hiding in, I believe it's Castle Black, and trying to find a way past the Wall. When they're inside, Bran is thinking about a story he was told where a man sought vengeance against the Andal king in his own house. The man served the king his son in a pie and he ended up being cursed with a rat's head. Old Nan said that it wasn't because he wanted revenge that he was punished, but it was because he slayed a guest beneath his roof and the gods will not forgive that.

Given the events we've seen in A Storm of Swords, do you think this story will have any bearing on what's to come? Or do you think it's just going to be another one of Old Nan's stories?

I think its just a means for Martin to express to the reader what a big deal it was for (ASOS spoiler)

the Freys to kill Robb when he had guest right, and to foreshadow what may or may not happen to them for breaking it.

Archived