How do you imagine the characters look like

a free shadow

When you read the books, how do you imagine the characters? Simply as HBO says you should, or in another way?

If you read the books first, have any images stuck up till now or been replaced after the series aired?

I watched the series first, but while I read the books my Tyrion looks a lot different still. Jon is sharper around the edges, Gregor is so big he casts a shadow on all the other characters in the same scenes as him in my head.

And when watching on screen I have mixed up Hot Pie and Lommy Greenhands, so now my Hot Pie is forever with blond curls and Lommy is a vile glutton :lol:

I go by the descriptions mostly. Jon is a man with a long face, dark brown (almost black) hair, and dark grey eyes. Arya is a little girl with similar Stark features, etc... I watched the show first as well but I try not to let the characters from that leak over into the books.

Gregor I picture like this:

http://imageshack.us...jaro158141.jpg/

but fully armored too.

I saw the show first, so the characters who already appeared there are those I see in my head, although my Jon Snow has straight hair.

I don't have very defined mental images of characters who have no tv-show counterpart yet, but my mental image of Tormund Giantsbane is this. I have absolutely no idea why though. :lol:

I read the books long before watching the show, and I've mostly held on to the way I originally pictured the characters. Jon differs the most from the actor for me, I think. The guy who plays him is great, he just looks wrong to me--I pictured straight hair, the gray eyes, a long, solemn face... I also pictured Tyrion as a lot uglier (Peter Dinklage is one good-looking man) and Theon as way more of a stud with a constant creepy smile on his face. So yeah, I love the show, but on recent rereads I still see the characters the way I originally did.

...Except Arya. I think the girl they cast for her is perfect.

I definitely see Jon as taller, straight-haired, and with thinner lips. Cannot envision Jon Snow with pouty lips, even if Kit Harington is cute, he doesn't look like a Stark to me.

Sophie Turner does a nice job as TV-Sansa, but I can't picture the book-Sansa, at least in AGOT, as quite that tall and filling out; at that age, a couple of years makes a huge difference, and I see Sansa starting the series as an 11-year-old child, not a young girl who is physically maturing quickly and looks 13-14 in AGOT (because the young actress was that age). In my head, Sansa is a very young Diane Lane, as she was in the movie A Little Romance...

http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19790813,00.html

I see book-Jaime as blonder.

Also, as well as being much younger, book Daenerys is, in my view, more slender and fine-boned than TV-Daenerys, and would have a thinner face with more delicate features. TV-Dany is a ripe-looking, sensually attractive young woman, but a bit too junoesque to fit my image of Daenerys.

TV-Bran is almost perfect; though he should be a year or two younger. He's got that sensitive but strong and imaginative combination all wrapped up in his face and expressions.

While Sean Bean does a fantastic job as TV-Ned, I see Ned as lean and dark-haired, which Bean is not, as well as younger.

The line between book-Drogo and TV-Drogo is really blurry; Jason Momoa owns that role even in my head.

I read the books (almost done with ADwD) after watching the HBO show. So everyone from the book AGoT looks like the show. I made Stannis up in my head and the guy that they cast looks way different from what I had pictured him as. He looks good for the part, just different from the dude in my head.

For some reason, (and I really should have said this on the "true confessions" thread) I've always pictured Tyrion as much hotter than he was secribed in the books. I guess it's cause he was my favorite charecter?

I do come up with some weird ideas though. For example, I always pictured Randyll Tarly as looking like Teddy Roosevelt.

In my mind, Doran Martell looks like FDR.

Well i started with the t.v show so thats how i picture most of them. Though of what we see of stannis in the second season i pictured him with a smaller head and he seems to always have a dumbstruck look on his face. And i thought mel would be younger and davos brown haired and less grizzley. Davos looks like a mormout almost , very bear like.

The HBO series definitely coloured how I view a few of the characters, but that is only in the instance where the casting matches up fairly well with the text (Littlefinger, for instance). Other characters, not so much.

I've actually drawn a couple of them out.

Renly

Arya

Bran

(My interpretation of Bran is one of the rare instances where the show's casting outweighs the text, haha)

It's my goal to draw everyone, eventually. It's just really slow going.

I only recently watched the television series, and unfortunately, it's poisoned how I imagine some of the characters now (not a fan of the casting for the most part as it's so wildly different from what I had previously thought of); the sort of thing where the more you don't want to think of something, the more you invariably do so...

I see Cersei as an older (wrinkled and saggy) Alice Eve for some reason.

Oh, off-topic, but I can't stand that "post-modern cowboy duster" that Jaime wears on the show. Also, his haircut.

I go by the descriptions mostly. Jon is a man with a long face, dark brown (almost black) hair, and dark grey eyes. Arya is a little girl with similar Stark features, etc... I watched the show first as well but I try not to let the characters

from that leak over into the books.

Gregor I picture like this:

http://imageshack.us...jaro158141.jpg/

but fully armored too.

:lmao: taking things a little too literally arent we?

i read the books first. i saw sean bean on a cover at walmart and thought, hmm sure why not. so ned stark was always sean bean, justly so.

i've always pictured varys as the fat ninja trainee from mulan. idk why.

peter dinklage is WAY better looking than how i imagined tyrion.

stannis was always kind of chubby (not fat) for some reason. : /

but maisie williams (i think thats her name :blushing: )IS arya! i can't believe i ever thought her to look/be any different.

also, loras is too pussified for me. excuse my french. i know he's not described differently, but i always thought him to be manlier. i mean, he did slay three men out rage. but maybe it was just seeing him next to the hound and the mountain that made him that way for me. idk.

Archived