New Store Items

Westeros

HBO has quietly been adding a few new items to its store in the run-up to season 2. Besides getting more of the Cersei Lannister posters in stock from season 1, there’s some brand new shirts that are rather cool (including a Westeros map shirt), plus some knick-knacks such as house sigil and character magnet sets. You can find these, and much, much more, over at the Westeros Store.

Visit the Site!

I would really like it if they made some real useable swords available. Those stainless jobs that they have on offer are beautiflul, but they'd be dangerous to try to cut with (just a nigh unavoidable consequence of stainless) and likely aren't sharpened for liability reasons. I'd just love to have a real high carbon, full tang and differentially hardened version of Longclaw to devestate some tatami mats and bamboo with (and of course, water jugs). I realize that it likely wouldn't be a very wise decision financially because I doubt many parents would buy their kids something that could behead them and takes a fair amount of maintenance as well. It would just be so awsome if they did it.

Valyrian Steel does make limited edition versions of various weapons -- there was a limited edition Longclaw and a limited edition Ice, I believe -- which are "real", pattern-welded steel that can hold an edge and so on. I'm unsure about whether it has a full tang or not, though.

I doubt the replicas Valyrian Steel will make of the HBO licensed swords will be sold as being for any purpose but as decorative collectibles, though. Don't think HBO wants the potential liability of selling "live" steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. If they go to the trouble of making a proper sword using proper techniques and materials, I'm going to go ahead and assume that they've got a full tang. Thanks for the heads up for sure. I'll definately be checking those out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived