If Aegon is the real deal how come he hasn't been given Blackfyre.

I believe the Golden Company has it. If so how come they haven't given it to him. I remember reading something about Aegon getting fitted for his armour or something like that but never a mention about Blackfyre...

If you have read Dunk and Egg then you know how important it is to have that Sword in order to get support from other Lords. Not sure if anyone has thought the same as me but I just wanna know where the Sword is.

Some people believe that Swords don't mean or shouldn't mean much in the books.. But clearly Valyrian Steel Swords mean a lot in the End game of the books.

I think that Blackfire was lost during the Blackfire rebellions a long time ago.

I think a cool theory could be that Aegon actually is a Blackfire (decended from one of the "Great Bastards") instead of a true Targaryan. Maybe, Maybe not, but it is a thought to consider.

Personally, I think that Aegon is fake. I think that the only true Targaryan is Dany, and possibly Jon.

I think that Aegon is a pretender. Remeber, he is propped up by Varys. Varys "serves the Realm" he doesnt care about who Aegon's bloodline is, He only cares that the realm prospers and that the commonfolk are treated well.

If the Golden Company had given him Blackfyre (assuming they still have it in their possession), people would believe that he is a Blackfyre even more.

I agree. I think that having the Golden Company for support already makes Aegon seem Blackfyre-ish, but having that sword would make him seem even more so. That probably wouldn't be such a problem if he can prove that he is actually a Targaryen, but if he really is a Blackfyre then I don't think that Illyrio and Varys would want him to have the trappings of a Blackfyre (eg the sword).

As to the location of the sword itself, I think that it may be hidden in the trunks of clothing that Illyrio gave to Griff etc at the time when he also gave them Tyrion.

If the Golden Company had given him Blackfyre (assuming they still have it in their possession), people would believe that he is a Blackfyre even more.

You got a good point. But if I'm not mistaken everyone thinks the male Blackfyre line is no more. Only the female line lived on. If that's the case no one can call him a Blackfyre. Even if he is from the Female Blackfyre line he still wouldn't be called a Blackfyre.

That's almost like calling Stannis a Targaryen because he has that blood from the Female side

I know that supposedly Bittersteel took 'Blackfyre' with him when he started the Golden Company. Have the books mentioned if it has been found, or still in their possession?

I never connected the dots about Aegon being propped up by the golden company until now.

It does seem tru that they would never support a "true" Targaryan. They think that the Blackfyres are the "true" heirs of (whatever King was the father of the bastard Daemon Blackfyre)

The sword being the sword that Aegon the conqueror weilded has a lot of symbolic meaning too. I think all this stuff will be revealed in TWOW

What if Dany somehow got her hands on Blackfyre? I know it's unlikely, but it's just a thought.

I dont see Dany as a melee combat warrior. True, her having the sword as a ceremonial weapon is possible, but it seems a waste that such an awesome blade would be used for nothing more than a decoration.

Again Aegon cant be a Blackfyre, if he is from the Female line then he would have a different last name other then Blackfyre

Stannis has Targ blood from the Female line but we would never call him a Targaryen.

Aegon might be from the Blackfyre line but he is not a Blackfyre.

Again Aegon cant be a Blackfyre, if he is from the Female line then he would have a different last name other then Blackfyre

Stannis has Targ blood from the Female line but we would never call him a Targaryen.

Aegon might be from the Blackfyre line but he is not a Blackfyre.

They can name him whatever they want. Sometimes husbands take their wives' names in order to keep the name alive. And you can name any child whatever you like... look at little Aemon Battleborn. If Aegon has Blackfyre blood and they name him Blackfyre, no one is going to complain (in terms of naming- they will have some other issues if he comes out openly as a Blackfyre). If family names were unable to travel through female lines, how do you think the name Stark survived thousands of years? You think no Stark ever had all female children?

Remember that Quaithe mentioned something along the lines of a "mummer's dragon" which I think to mean Aegon. "Mummer" = actor = pretender = farce.

Aegon might very well be a Blackfyre, but I don't think he is a proper Targaryen.

Mummer is possessive in that sentence, just like the Sun's Son. So the sentence should mean that the said Dragon is someone's Dragon, that someone being a Mummer, that Mummer being Varys.

They can name him whatever they want. Sometimes husbands take their wives' names in order to keep the name alive. And you can name any child whatever you like... look at little Aemon Battleborn. If Aegon has Blackfyre blood and they name him Blackfyre, no one is going to complain (in terms of naming- they will have some other issues if he comes out openly as a Blackfyre). If family names were unable to travel through female lines, how do you think the name Stark survived thousands of years? You think no Stark ever had all female children?

None that we know of.

None that we know of.

See above post, Bael the Bard is a good example. If you think that's just a legend, I would implore you simply to use common sense. Over thousands of years there is obviously going to come a time or two when there is no male heir. A good point of reference here is the discussion over what to do with Lady Hornwood and the Hornwood lands, when there was no male heir bearing the Hornwood name. I recall at least one of Lady Hornwood's suitors offering to take the Hornwood name to ensure its continuation.

Just like Jon Snow could change his name to Jon Stark if (supposedly) all of the male stark children are dead.

He would then be Jon Stark.

I would have to imagine that in 8000 years, this has happened dozens of times.

Just because Aegon doesnt have the last name blackfyre doesnt mean that he cant change his name if that is the family that he wants to represent.

Isn't that what cadet branches are for?

Archived