Jaime's Kingsguard

Ser Areo Mace

I just read Jaime's chapter when he first gets to sit down and talk to his kingsguards brothers, and I have to say so far it's probably my favorite chapter of the book. It really shows us in sight on Jaime and him realizing how much everything has changed since he become a Knight. I really like the direction Jaime is heading as a character and him trying to help Loras not become him.

I completely agree - I hated Jaime before. But starting with him standing up to his father and then really trying to turn things around for himself, I have started to look at him differently. I really think he is trying to do better, be better; he realizes that (IMO) that the things he wanted before just aren't important any longer.

• 1 month later...

This was a good chapter. It's funny because it was like he was thinking these guys are a bunch of assholes. I mean he thinks Boros is a coward, Meryn is a, well will do anything asked of no matter what even hitting Sansa, the Kettlebacks are mercenaries, etc. He only seems to like Loras somewhat. I liked his progression in this book too. He seemed to think that not everything is as he remembered. It's also ironic that the Kingslayer thinks the Kingsguard should be higher than its currnet inhabitants, although we find the truth about the nickname too.

i agree with you guys. he started out as a hate object but is now in my top 5 list over best characters, meybe even top three and sometimes the best, and this book is what changed our opinions i guess. Another interesting thing is that he read the big white book with the kingsguard members and compares him and barristan, and seems disappointed. And at the end of that chapter he makes a remark about his faith being blank from here, and he can do whatever he want. That made me smile because of the good writing of it. He is a changed man and will make his own future not being hold back by his past actions. A great chapter indeed.

And with Loras, i think he sees a little of himself in the knight of flowers. He sees the similarities and envies him but still wants to help him. Jaime is a lot wiser than we are given the impression of. He doesn't want Loras' hubris to be his downfall i guess. He wishes he had his hand back, but was his life better then? He don't seem to think so, since he now wants to help the Starks, the first step in him repaying for his crimes. I hope we get a lot more of JAime in the future, and hopes he will play a big part in the books.

I agree with what has been said. I think that the key change is that through his journey and the previous events he seems to have gained some humanity which is something many of the other Lannisters, and Jaime up until recently, sorely miss. For me it not only makes him a more likeable character but also I more interesting character now as it sets him apart a little from Cersei and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that relationship might unfold in the future. He also seems to have more self awareness and a greater desire to mean something in life, perhaps in part due to losing his hand being a wake up call to his mortality. Definately one of my favourites now and one to watch!

I hope he's a POV character in future books, his was very interesting. ICAM though he seems to look at everyone differently now, Cersei, Tywin, etc. I am glad we got this POV too because in AGOT we saw very, very little of him, he was discussed more than we actually saw him and same in ACOK, so getting to know him and his history really helped develop him & to make him a likable character. I can't help but wonder now what he'll do now that Tywin's dead.

Archived