Is Stannis dead?

Patchface12

Ramsay's not the most honest or trustworthy of people, but I don't think he's lying about this. Stannis's men are freezing and starving, and the Boltons are in a much better position.

Tycho warned Stannis about Arnolf, but he could still be betrayed by other northmen. We've never heard about Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont since Robb sent them north on the river to the neck. If they were captured offscreen, this could be very bad for Stannis. Also, when Arnolf came, he brought the Dreadfort Maester and was there for 8 days before he got caught. He could have told Glover men and Maege's daughters that the the Freys had their liege lords and they would be released if they turned on Stannis.

Stannis's historical counterpart Richard III was betrayed at Bosworth field where he was killed. Maybe Martin has the same in mind for Stannis.

I think the pink letter is either a deliberate bluff or an ignorant one.

Stannis telling Justin Massey that he might hear news of Stannis' death seems to me to mean that Stannis is planning on faking his death or allowing people to believe that he's dead.

The fact that Stannis' plan and strategy is cloaked in secrecy seems to mean to me that it just might work. We see a lot of very good strategies laid out that either end in disaster (Stannis' Blackwater plan) or are prevented from happening (Robb's plan to take Moat Cailin from the south). Martin is holding Stannis' ideas close to the chest and I think that might mean that this is one plan that will work.

I anticipate that Stannis will lure the heavy Bolton calvary out onto ice and let them drown under their own weight.

And remember that Bolton doesn't have that many solid allies inside Winterfell — his own men, the Freys (who suck at handling the cold) and possibly Lady Dustin's people. The Umbers, Manderlys and probably the Cerwyns (especially when/if they learn how their kinsman was killed by Ramsay) will break for Stannis when they can.

And Aenys Frey at least is apparently already dead.

ETA: The Gift Chapter isn't a good piece of evidence. I'm pretty sure it takes place before Jon receives the letter, even though Martin moved the material to a later book (probably to keep the Stannis cliffhanger intact?).

I think he is probably still alive, mainly because the letter is from Ramsay. He enjoys all sorts of lying games to meet his ends, and this letter seems to me very bully-ish (of course, its from Ramsay, lol). the intent is to strike fear and uncertainty and threaten, so truthfulness is not an issue.

I think after the Frey force fell through the ice, since the Manderly force was coming up behind the Frey force, Lord Manderly saw his chance and pushed them into the lake. Wyman than hatched a plan with Stannis.

Wyman arrives at Winterfell saying Stannis is dead with Stannis's glowing sword as proof of his demise. That would explain Ramsay's letter saying he had Stannis's sword. Roose Bolton, at ease, lets his guard down and he and his allies have a celebration. That night while Roose and his allies are asleep, Stannis's forces descend on Winterfell with Manderly's men opening the gates and Stannis and his men take Roose unawares.

He could still be alive, but from a plot point, I just don't see what he can add to the story any further.

If anything, my doubts come from the Blackwater. I wanted Stannis to win and kill that evil bastard Joffrey, but the unexpected happened and he lost. Who's to say it won't happen again, and Stannis loses. He doesn't have a good track record at killing off evil bastards,lol.

Ramsay is a liar, but even if he's telling the truth, the knights of the Vale, the Wildlings, the Skaggs, or the Manderly's could still deal with the Boltons. Plus, if Stannis is dead, Roose and Ramsay will no longer share a common foe and probably be plotting to off each other.

When Richard III was betrayed on Bosworth Field, he charged on horseback, sword (weapon?) in hand shouting "Traitor, traitor, traitor!" Stannis doing the same thing with Lightbringer just sounds so badass to me.

I think after the Frey force fell through the ice, since the Manderly force was coming up behind the Frey force, Lord Manderly saw his chance and pushed them into the lake. Wyman than hatched a plan with Stannis.

Wyman arrives at Winterfell saying Stannis is dead with Stannis's glowing sword as proof of his demise. That would explain Ramsay's letter saying he had Stannis's sword. Roose Bolton, at ease, lets his guard down and he and his allies have a celebration. That night while Roose and his allies are asleep, Stannis's forces descend on Winterfell with Manderly's men opening the gates and Stannis and his men take Roose unawares.

Though Ramsay also claims on his letter that he has the heads of Stannis' friends on the walls of Winterfell.

If Manderly did do that it would be a massacre, everyone against the Bolton and Dustin men, perhaps also some Ryswell.

And I do believe Ramsay will kill his father before Stannis falls in battle, and that would make many Bolton men desert the bastard, I'm sure they have heard tales of what he does to women and other stuff, I'm not sure where, but i think Lady Dustin tells Theon northeners follow Roose because they know him and what he is capable of, though Ramsay they don't know, nor trust.

I can see it happening that way, too. Ramsay receives Stannis' sword as "proof" that he's dead and runs his mouth off prematurely.

I think it also bears asking how it is that Ramsay is the one writing the letter and not Roose.

If anything, my doubts come from the Blackwater. I wanted Stannis to win and kill that evil bastard Joffrey, but the unexpected happened and he lost. Who's to say it won't happen again, and Stannis loses. He doesn't have a good track record at killing off evil bastards,lol.

The thing about Martin is, lightning doesn't really strike in the same place twice. Just because Stannis lost to one little psychopath doesn't mean he'll lose again. If anything it suggests the opposite.

Stannis hasn't been hanging around for five books just to randomly die trying to take Winterfell. It's almost as silly as thinking that Jon is actually dead from falling onto some knives.

ETA: If GRRM wanted Stannis dead, he would've killed Stannis when he went to defend the Wall from Mance Rayder. It would've been a fairly satisfying end for him, from a narrative standpoint, because it would've wrapped up all of the arcs he had set up from the beginning of A Storm of Swords. Instead, GRRM is adding new arcs, and having Stannis go on and do new things.

Stannis is too stubborn to die. I want to see him sitting on the Iron throne clenched teeth and all in the end.(with a mentally stable patchface as his master of whispers). I think Manderly will make his way to Stannis informing him that he didnt have his best friend killed. The duo then procede to hatch the plan to bring down The Boltons.

Lots to say. First, it was wonderful to read as one person called it "the gift chapter". Thanks GRRM. Since, the banker, fake Arya, mormont and a couple of others are being sent to the wall by midday, the "supposed battle" that Ramsay is writting about is about to happen. Remember, a messenger arrives saying the gate is rising. Now, when Theon escaped the first time, it appears that the Freys came out to pursue, not to find Stannis for battle but to "rescue" fake Arya. This is where Ser Aenys dies and the Freys take losses. This time, as reports of the gate opening are being delivered to Stannis, seems to be the prelude to "A Battle". It could be that during the battle, Theon is released and escapes with fake Arya, the banker and more or less others. We are possibly talking moments or minutes from recapture etc. The Karstark men are now going to fight for Stannis or burn in the hall as one group people because there will be no betrayal as Karstarks are found out. Stannis's position has been given to Bolton (thanks to the maester's map) and they are no doubt riding out now to exploit it before Stannis can react. I have to say that I think Stannis is a goner (I hate it but GRRM stated that he has to start getting rid of people). Heavy losses by both, lets say that Stannis is or it is reported to Ramsay and Roose that Stannis is dead. the Sword Blah Blah Blah. Reek thinks it will be Roose Staying in Winterfell and Ramsay coming. Yet, Roose would be the one sending the letter, not Ramsay. I think Ramsay would kill his own father and since he sent the letter, that may have happened already. I think at least the odds are better than 50% Stannis is dead. No word on Lord Manderly's condition, after his flabby through was slashed, which could be good or bad. Also, i love the umbers, it is noted that they do not recognize fake Arya, therefore they question her. Roose is right about the Umbers, they are cunning. i am of the opinion that Glover may be arriving undetected from the south with Manderly's army from White Harbor because Lord Wyman seems too smart to let an opportunity to pen up Bolton and Freys in one place and not try and pitch in to take them out.

I'm almost positive that the chapter took place before the letter being sent, so while it makes us Stannis fans hopeful, it doesn't settle it.

Does that make us a club with 2 members, or are there more?

I do think the Theon Chapter is before Ramsey's letter to Jon, or at least before it arrives to Jon. I think Ramsey sent the letter before attacking Stannis with all confidence that he would prevail. So we don't know if Stannis is alive, but I think he is.

I do think the Theon Chapter is before Ramsey's letter to Jon, or at least before it arrives to Jon. I think Ramsey sent the letter before attacking Stannis with all confidence that he would prevail. So we don't know if Stannis is alive, but I think he is.

The Theon chapter is certainly before but why would the letter be sent by Ramsay unless Roose is dead. Theon, who has gotten to know how the Boltons opperate told Stannis that Roose will stay inside Winterfell with his most loyal men, Ramsay would be send behind the Freys and Manderlys.

Sadly for Stannis Jon thought the letter was true. I think that we're going to get to see Stannis at his best. The Battle for Ice is going to be him luring the Boltons onto the lake and drowning them... Wonder what the Battle for Fire will look like. Ramsay's letter is written out of desperation. I think that Mance kills Roose and that Stannis is sieging Winterfell. However, Jon doesn't know this. I think that Stannis may have to return to the Wall because of the clusterfuck caused by Jon's assassination and I think that he will die defending the Wall

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore. Your false king’s friends are dead. Their heads upon

the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me. I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell. I want my bride back. I want the false king’s queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want his wildling princess.

I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it.

I was damn happy to read the sample chapter of WOW since I am a fan of Stannis but I am still in doubt whether Stannis is dead or alive. It is very clear that the POV takes place before the letter is sent. We don't know what has happened. And I just don't understand why would Ramsay lie like this. I mean, why would he want all these people sent to him... It's not like he can do anything right now? Stannis will be surrounding the Winterfell and these "hostages" will walk right into them. So hostage grabbing plan also fails for Bolton... why would he really lie about this..

I too am a Stannis fan.

Archived