Is Stannis dead?

Patchface12

Sadly for Stannis Jon thought the letter was true. I think that we're going to get to see Stannis at his best. The Battle for Ice is going to be him luring the Boltons onto the lake and drowning them... Wonder what the Battle for Fire will look like. Ramsay's letter is written out of desperation. I think that Mance kills Roose and that Stannis is sieging Winterfell. However, Jon doesn't know this. I think that Stannis may have to return to the Wall because of the clusterfuck caused by Jon's assassination and I think that he will die defending the Wall

Yeah I'm not so sure Jon did. Jon certainly acts publicly like he believes every word, but that is after two hours of sequestered conversation with Tormond where who knows what was discussed.

As for Stannis, I am not a fan, though I totally support what he's doing in the North right now (enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing). I think he has a very dark end coming to him but I think that end is farther down the road and that he's alive and will live through the battle for Winterfell. Can't call it the battle of ice since I think that is further down the line too. I felt this way before the gift chapter from the simple fact of whom he asks for (not to mention the whole if it doesn't happen on-screen there is the strong chance it didn't happen the way people think aspect that seems to be running strongly through the books). Several of those hostages have no value to Ramsey unless Stannis is alive (his daughter and his wife especially) and then there was the whole Reek/Arya demand (though the gift chapter did make it possible that there was a battle where Theon/Arya aren't there but on their way to the wall).

I'm not sure, Stannis is one of my favourite characters, but for Asha and Theon to play a part in the story, I think he has to die.

I think it's the other way round. Even with Theon to challenge the result of the Kingsmoot, Asha doesn't have the strength and support to take over the Iron Islands. However, she could form an alliance with Stannis, so her claim has a King (who also happens to be the best naval commander we've seen so far) behind it. Also, Theon knows all the ways and passages of Winterfell.

That is, of course, if things turn out well, which will probably not happen.

Ramsay's not the most honest or trustworthy of people, but I don't think he's lying about this. Stannis's men are freezing and starving, and the Boltons are in a much better position.

Tycho warned Stannis about Arnolf, but he could still be betrayed by other northmen. We've never heard about Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont since Robb sent them north on the river to the neck. If they were captured offscreen, this could be very bad for Stannis. Also, when Arnolf came, he brought the Dreadfort Maester and was there for 8 days before he got caught. He could have told Glover men and Maege's daughters that the the Freys had their liege lords and they would be released if they turned on Stannis.

Stannis's historical counterpart Richard III was betrayed at Bosworth field where he was killed. Maybe Martin has the same in mind for Stannis.

Ramsay's obviously lying.

Now, I think Stannis might have like Beric Dundarian and been brought back to like by Melisandre either on the blackwater or before we even meet him for the first time.

Stannis is alive and he'll go all Alexandr Nevsky on the Boltons and Freys. It is known. Battlle of Ice!

Besides, he has plot armor for now: Dany has yet to meet him according to the House of Undying prophecy and judging by her tempo... Stannis might well see his 100th name day.

Who is this Alexandr Nevsky? Don't you mean Napoleon at the Battle of Austerlitz?

Ramsay's not the most honest or trustworthy of people, but I don't think he's lying about this. Stannis's men are freezing and starving, and the Boltons are in a much better position.

Tycho warned Stannis about Arnolf, but he could still be betrayed by other northmen. We've never heard about Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont since Robb sent them north on the river to the neck. If they were captured offscreen, this could be very bad for Stannis. Also, when Arnolf came, he brought the Dreadfort Maester and was there for 8 days before he got caught. He could have told Glover men and Maege's daughters that the the Freys had their liege lords and they would be released if they turned on Stannis.

Stannis's historical counterpart Richard III was betrayed at Bosworth field where he was killed. Maybe Martin has the same in mind for Stannis.

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

Stannis is not dead yet, and between the Northern lords he is trying to win and the sellswords he is obtaining with Iron-Bank financing, is doing quite well. In that chapter, he is quite confident about the coming battle against Frey and Bolton. Stannis' personality has virtually no braggadocio or swagger; he is not confident without cause.

For future reference, folks: spoilers coming from The WInds of Winter should not be discussed here. They are limited to the very specific Winds of Winter sub-forum only.

there is another way into winterfell, bran mentions in one of his chapters there is a passage inside one of the walls that runs halfway around winterfell and brings you out near the first keep....i think he will use the ravens or some other warged animal to show this to stannis, providing theon doesnt already know of this too

Stannis will win heres the reasons

1) He's in Dannys propheceies- a blue eyed man who casts no shadow

2) Why introduce the banker if Stannis is going to die right after, seems an odd thing to do

3) I believe theres an offhand remark about a snow castle in a prophecy

4) The Boltons and Freys have reached the end of their narrative really, Stannis hasn't

5) The Mandelays brought lots of food and are surely planning to switch teams. The Umbers too, particularly if the Greatjon was released when Jamie demanded the Freys prisoners

The red wedding was in Dany's prophecy as well, and she didn't witness that. She also saw Maester Aemon on the deck of that ship and she never met him or saw him die. I don't see why Stannis would be any different.

The snow castle where Sansa killed a giant referred to Sansa building a snowcastle in the Eyrie, Petyr kissing her, and then Robert comes out to play and she breaks his doll, which was being 'a monster attacking the castle'

This overall event led to Petyr killing Lysa.

Perhaps the banker is to go to Aegon or Dany when Stannis dies, or was simply there as a plot device to help Theon, Asha, and those Ironborn get together so they can flee to Tohrren's square and go back to the Iron Islands. Also, to mislead us into thinking Stannis has a chance.

Not dead.

I'm calling BS on Stannis being dead.If he was then Ramsay would have theon.

That and I want a payoff for that ridiculous Lightbringer ceremony with Stannis, Selyse and Melisandre near the beginning of ACoK. He's going to charge headlong into something thinking he's Azor Ahai reborn and...*clunk*...fails spectacularly.

ETA:

I'm also a Stannis fan. Stannis is a fairly popular guy I think.

I generally like him too. Not a warm and fuzzy guy but he gets stuff done. I just think that the spiritual goo-goo eyes he has for Melisandre is going to eventually kick him in the butt, and I can't help but giggle about that.

Because that prophecy specifically referred to her.

It said she was the slayer of lies. In a way, a lie is slayed when the truth is revealed. It doesn't necessarily mean that Dany has to kill Stannis or even Aegon. It also doesn't mean Stannis will be alive when she gets to Westeros.

• 1 month later...

Archived