The gift chapter and a clue regarding "Aegon/Young Griff"

Lord Damian

Stannis's first choice of sellswords would be the Golden Company. They were founded by Bittersteel, "who swore to one day put a son of Daemon Blackfyre on the Iron Throne. This to me is another clue that Aegon decends from the Blackfyre line. I have been and continue to be of the belief that Aegon will sit on the Iron throne. No for long, however.

I'm not sure that it says anything specific one way or the other, but it's at the very least yet another solid name-dropping of the Blackfyre Rebellion — I don't see how it's anything but a Chekov's gun. It has to come up at some point, and "Aegon" is the clear plot device for it to do so.

I'm not sure that it says anything specific one way or the other, but it's at the very least yet another solid name-dropping of the Blackfyre Rebellion — I don't see how it's anything but a Chekov's gun. It has to come up at some point, and "Aegon" is the clear plot device for it to do so.

Agree, not concrete but GRRM specifically dropped the Aegon angle again by mentioning the Blackfyres and the Golden Company. He loves to tease us.

Agree, not concrete but GRRM specifically dropped the Aegon angle again by mentioning the Blackfyres and the Golden Company. He loves to tease us.

There's that and there's also the fact that the Golden Company is widely considered to be one of the best, if not the best mercenary company in the known world. Not only do they have an impeccable reputation in a trade often characterized by treachery and deceit, but they're also a very large mercenary company. They field more troops than most of the other companies we've heard about in the series combined. Any commander who knows his business would make them his first choice, but that doesn't mean he's likely to get them.

:agree:

There's that and there's also the fact that the Golden Company is widely considered to be one of the best, if not the best mercenary company in the known world. Not only do they have an impeccable reputation in a trade often characterized by treachery and deceit, but they're also a very large mercenary company. They field more troops than most of the other

companies we've heard about in the series combined. Any commander who knows his business would make them his first choice, but that doesn't mean he's likely to get them.

Yea Aegon already has them lol.Poor Stannis

I am more convinced than ever that Aegon is the "Cloth Dragon". He is almost absolutely a decendent of Daeomon Blackfyre. This does it for me, however as we have seen. Right, through blood means nothing, whether you are Aegon the Conqueror, Robert with his hammer or Lannisters with their gold and treachery. Might, along with good health will win and hold the Iron throne every time.

The point of it being that they have more of a chance of winning and "returning home", if that is their motive, by joining Stannis so if they stay with YG that clearly isn't their motivation. Would they have any other reason to break off a contract?

If "Aegon" dies in his quest to take the Iron Throne, the Golden Company might well defect to Stannis since he has gold enough to hire them. That would be an interesting scenario.

why do so many people dislike aegon anyways?

I'm not so sure that people dislike him. He is interesting, and has a role to play, I just view him as a pawn, not a player.

Even if by some miracle he wins the throne, he isnt going to keep it very long IMO.

I think that he is a creation of Varys, and that he will end up dead in order to serve Varys' grand scheme in some way..

why do so many people dislike aegon anyways?

i do not like any Targs except for the possibility that Jon is one. (he is a Stark at heart)

I think Aegon to be a Blackfyre decendent, not a true blood legit line. I personlly want the North to be free and under a Stark Monarch, therefore as long as there is an Iron Throne that claims the North, I am against them unless it is a Stark that mounts it. I tollerate Stannis because he is fighting the Boltons and Freys.

Stannis should hire 20k dothraki screamers/ 20k freeriders.Then we will have a lotr type "battle of pellonor fields" in TWOW with rohirrim cavalry to the rescue..

Nope, because we are talking about a winter campaign And the use of a cavalerry in the winter war we have allready seen in Stannis march to Winterfell. And those are weterosi fighters, who have allready seen some snow in their lives. The upcomming winter is going to change warefare quite a bit. ( But that is goig OT)

I think Aegon to be a Blackfyre decendent, not a true blood legit line.

I'm not sure about the lineage, but is the claim of the Blackfyres really not legitimate? The D&E story Sworn Swords gave me the impression, that one claim was as good as the other. Or is it just that they lost? I mean, they are Tagerians, too.

Stannis should hire 20k dothraki screamers/ 20k freeriders.Then we will have a lotr type "battle of pellonor fields" in TWOW with rohirrim cavalry to the rescue..

I think Martin's world tracks more closely to the real ancient world where disciplined infantry could almost always beat calvary attacks. I don't know if we've heard about the Dothraki being horse archers on par with the Mongols and we know the Unsullied beat a Khalasar despite being heavily outnumbered.

I'm not sure about the lineage, but is the claim of the Blackfyres really not legitimate? The D&E story Sworn Swords gave me the impression, that one claim was as good as the other. Or is it just that they lost? I mean, they are Tagerians, too.

The Blackfyres are descended from a bastard, Daemon Blackfyre; he was ever considered a candidate only because Daeron, the legitimate Targayren heir, was a wise and learned scholar who wasn´t good at crushing people´s brains with big chuncks or iron, and the westerosi, cunning and forward-minded as they are :thumbsdown: , decided that was beyond all bearing: They wanted a good jouster and swordfighter as king, even if Daeron was a bastard. :dunno:

Archived