Most Annoying Saying

This thread just shows how annoying a lot of your personalities are.

Then don't marry anyone of us.

touché :thumbsup:

as for the OP:

It is known

and every time Dany opens her mouth to say: "I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, of the blood of old Valyria... yada yada yada" :ack:

"Done and Done"

wouldn't simply "done" suffice?

What secondary aspect is going on here?

"Must Needs" just horrible, horrible, awkward reading

Otherwise, nothing annoys me.

I love Daenerys titles- it gets me going, like Russell Crowe in Gladiator when he reveals himself in the colluseum- albeit with a little added insecurity thrown in for good measure as she is on a learning curve. Perhaps it would have more of a kick if, when she enters westeros, she could edit it down to "I am Daernery Stormborn of the House Targaryan, the daughter of a murdered king, the sister to a murdered heir, I am the mother of Dragons, and I shall have my vengeance in this life or the next..." ( copywrite allowing, of course!)

I love " a Lannister always pays his debts" ever since AFFC. It now has an added dimension- the Lannisters are quite conspicuously NOT paying their debts, and the myth could well shatter around them. Now it's working two ways AGAINST them- as the Braavos have resolved to pay their debts. I know the Lannisters could argue that it is the crown- Tommen Baratheon who isn't paying his debts, but that is small comfort when fighting Braavosi, plus as it was Cercei's decision(a Lannister) and Tommen's debt (a Lannister x2) then the phrase becomes deliciously ironic.

Throw in the emotional "debts" the Lannisters have wracked up against the Dornish, the North, the Riverlands, and the Lannisters could be doing a lot of paying...

The one that bothers me is "Words are wind." First of all, words can be very important, even a matter of life and death. Then there are vows and promises and commitments. If these are not usually taken seriously and with intent to fulfill, then society starts unraveling.

You could try "Words are breakwind" :-)

touché :thumbsup:

as for the OP:

It is known

and every time Dany opens her mouth to say: "I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, of the blood of old Valyria... yada yada yada" :ack:

Because of course she says this on every page. Right. It would be interesting to know how many times she herself says this (as opposed to Missandei or someone else making a formal announcement of her presence.)

"Done and Done"

wouldn't simply "done" suffice?

What secondary aspect is going on here?

"Must Needs" just horrible, horrible, awkward reading.

I repeat what I said above: don't read any Shakespeare or any other Elizabethan writer: you will think that they are given to horrible awkward writing. If you want to complain that Martin is not doing a good job of trying convey the feeling of a medieval setting in his choice of phrases, then say so.

Archived