A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

Can anyone point me in the direction of a real thread regarding the lineage of John Snow. Because I can't seem to fine one. And while the debate on here is interesting its all very hard to follow and I got the feeling this was more of a 1 question 1 answer sort of thread as opposed to a debate thread. Thanks

Can anyone point me in the direction of a real thread regarding the lineage of John Snow. Because I can't seem to fine one. And while the debate on here is interesting its all very hard to follow and I got the feeling this was more of a 1 question 1 answer sort of thread as opposed to a debate thread. Thanks

Read this from the Citadel.

A few questions about all this:

Why did Bloodraven keep his bastard name Rivers after he had been legitimized along with all Aegon the Unworthy's other bastards? (I know this quesiton has been asked already but it leads directly into my next question):

Being a bastard of Aegon the Unworthy, why did he choose to fight on the side of the trueborn Targs, and not with the legitimized bastards, highborn and low, who fought for Daemon in the Blackfyre Rebellion?

Don't know why he kept the name, though I believe Aegor Rivers aka Bittersteel also kept his bastard name. Perhaps he kept it simply because that's what he'd always been known as?

As for your second question, it's all but certain that Bloodraven hated Bittersteel, which may have been why he fought for Daeron. He may have had other motivations as well, though.

Bloodraven was Hand when Egg was still a boy of ten squiring for Ser Duncan and Prince Maekar was "sulking" at Summerhall-- what happened between that time and when Egg ascended the throne that had Bloodraven banished to the Wall?

I don't think we know this yet.

Why did Aemon go too? I know he didnt want to be at court because he believed he'd be used by those who would want to gain power, but he could have left court to serve at any other castle in the seven kingdoms. Why choose the Wall? Alleras seems to think that the Archmaesters of the Citadel packed him away to the Wall becuase they didnt trust his "dragon blood" (AFfC) But the way Aemon puts it, he chose to serve at Castle Black?

I think it was because as a member of the Night's Watch, Aemon would be doubly sworn and would be unable to interfere in the affairs of the realm.

The last-- and most important-- question i have is how Bloodraven came to be what he is today-- half man/half weirwood, living at the ends of the earth in the vast north beyond the Wall? LCs serve for life--so what brought him there? Was he aware of some old magic that would keep him alive forvever, and is that how he became what he became? What does he care about the fate of Bran Stark? What are the Starks to him?

Once again, I don't think we have any clear answers yet.

He's a Targ and a southerner? Ive heard it said that southerners cannot harness the magic of the old gods, and this whole situation just baffles me. The man he was doesnt seem to line up with the Bloodraven we know through Bran's POVs at all...

Bloodraven's mother was a member of House Bracken. They are a First Men house that still keeps to the old gods. That is probably why Bloodraven has the ability to warg.

Who were the men of the Night's Watch that Coldhands killed (and Summer ate)?

I believe they were the members of the Watch that mutinied against Jeor Mormont at Craster's.

corbon gave you a pretty good link, so let me simply add this one. It's an essay that lays out most of the evidence in favor of the theory that Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's parents.

In addition, if you wish to discuss Jon's parentage in another thread, I would suggest you go to the General (ASoIaF) section and check out the "R+L=J" thread that is pinned at the top.

I think it was because as a member of the Night's Watch, Aemon would be doubly sworn and would be unable to interfere in the affairs of the realm.

I don't think Maester Aemon was a sworn brother. He was a maester of the Citadel who was assigned to Castle Black. The Shadow Tower and Eastwatch also have a maester.

I don't think Maester Aemon was a sworn brother. He was a maester of the Citadel who was assigned to Castle Black. The Shadow Tower and Eastwatch also have a maester.

No, I'm pretty sure he's sworn to the Night's Watch.

ETA--Here's what he says in AFFC:

"No recruit had arrived at the Wall with so much pomp since Nymeria sent the Watch six kings in golden fetters. Egg emptied out the dungeons too, so I would not need to say my vows alone."

And here's Sam's eulogy to him from the same book:

"He was a good man... No. He was a great man. A maester of the Citadel, chained and sworn, and Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch, ever faithful. When he was born they named him for a hero who had died too young, but though he lived a long long time, his own life was no less heroic. No man was wiser, or gentler, or kinder. At the Wall, a dozen lords commander came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to counsel them. He counseled kings as well. He could have been a king himself, but when they offered him the crown he told them they should give it to his younger brother. How many men would do that? He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out. He was Aemon Targaryen. And now his watch is ended."

No, I'm pretty sure he's sworn to the Night's Watch.

ETA--Here's what he says in AFFC:

"No recruit had arrived at the Wall with so much pomp since Nymeria sent the Watch six kings in golden fetters. Egg emptied out the dungeons too, so I would not need to say my vows alone."

And here's Sam's eulogy to him from the same book:

"He was a good man... No. He was a great man. A maester of the Citadel, chained and sworn, and Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch, ever faithful. When he was born they named him for a hero who had died too young, but though he lived a long long time, his own life was no less heroic. No man was wiser, or gentler, or kinder. At the Wall, a dozen lords commander came and went during his years of service, but he was always there to counsel them. He counseled kings as well. He could have been a king himself, but when they offered him the crown he told them they should give it to his younger brother. How many men would do that? He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out. He was Aemon Targaryen. And now his watch is ended."

Well how about that...I stand corrected

Hey, long time lurker here, I haven't posted in forever.

Exactly who was this insurance guy Arya killed and how does it impact events?

I checked the search and scanned a bunch of threads but i haven't found one that deals with this topic.

Hey, long time lurker here, I haven't posted in forever.

Exactly who was this insurance guy Arya killed and how does it impact events?

I checked the search and scanned a bunch of threads but i haven't found one that deals with this topic.

He was an insurer who seems to have cheated some of his clients. As far as I can tell, it has not had any impact on other events yet. Didn't GRRM have a bunch of stuff stolen some time ago. If he wasn't happy with his settlement, this may be his way of taking some revenge on the insurance industry.

He was an insurer who seems to have cheated some of his clients. As far as I can tell, it has not had any impact on other events yet. Didn't GRRM have a bunch of stuff stolen some time ago. If he wasn't happy with his settlement, this may be his way of taking some revenge on the insurance industry.

Are you talking about the Banners that went missing in a BWB reunion (with the crew from season 1)?

I don't think that it was insured.(Things like that have more of a sentimental value than material)

Hello!

This is my first time posting here, so please bear with me :) I noticed that Victarion apparently wears gauntlets that has steel protecting his palms, but I'm unaware of any such gauntlets existing historically.

As described in the chapter "The Iron Suitor":

"...so when Serry’s longsword came flashing down he had reached up and caught it. The stripling had been stronger than he looked; his blade bit through the lobstered steel of the captain’s gauntlet and the padded glove beneath into the meat of his palm."

From what little I know, gauntlets were essentially leather gloves with armouring on the "'knuckle-side" of the hand. Thus the "underside" of the gauntlet would have just been leather.

So is Victarion's gauntlet a unique gauntlet that includes armoring on the both sides, or is there historical precedent for this type of gauntlet?

[Edit: typo]

So is Victarion's gauntlet a unique gauntlet that includes armoring on the both sides, or is their historical precedent for this type of gauntlet?

There actually is, though they were developed quite late: In the 16th century starting with Italy, workshops began producing gauntlets where the palm of the hand was armoured as well as the back (picture). The palm-part was made of overlapping honed steel plates, which supposedly maintained full mobility of the hand. Unfortunately I don't have an English source, only German wikipedia, where this type is called "Eisenhandschuh" (iron glove).

Still, they seem to have been rare and I would suppose that this kind of gauntlet is not standard issue in the Iron Army.

I did not even realize the paperback was not out yet, Thank you :)

When I bought ADWD I asked the guy at the bookstore and he said the paperbacks dont come out for at least a year after the original hardcovers; which means the DWD paperback won't be coming out till the end of summer 2012 at the earliest

Archived