Asha/"Yara"

Anarchosaurus Rex

Anyone see her in the latest trailer? Excuse me, but what the hell? I was skeptical when I saw the actress' headshots after they announced her casting, but this confirms my worst fears.

Instead of short, dark hair, she has long, light hair. Instead of having sharp, angular features, she has a soft face. Instead of having the fierce body of a warrior, she looks like any other noble lady sitting around her castle.

/endrant

The shot killed my mental image of Asha too.

She doesn't look like a warrior at all.

And she's not attractive either.

I won't ever read the books the same way, now.

Damn you, whoever you are, responsible for the casting.

You made one only mistake in a two season perfect ensemble cast... and it had to be... Asha. It could have been plenty of characters I don't care about. But no, it had to be Asha.

Damn you.

PS : I still love you for the rest of the cast ;)

I know, they have done so well casting-wise, I was really shocked at the failure with a character as vivid as Asha. How hard can it be to find a girl like that willing to stage awesome fight scenes and get naked?

Although I will admit that Aeron Damphair looks a little pudgy. I reckon they are just striking out on the Greyjoys.

What is wrong with you people? At times this fanbase can be absolutely ridiculous.

You are being incredibly judgmental over half a second of screen time. You haven't even heard her deliver a line yet and have zero idea of how well or badly she portrays the character.

At least wait until you've seen her in an episode before deciding that she is horrible. I am severely disappointed in this thread.

Shae of the show was a somewhat-necessary expansion to an extremely weak and submissive whore (for lack of better word). She's made out to be an intellectual match with Tyrion in the adaption, which makes it all the more plausible that he falls in love with her and makes her later actions all the more devastating. Can you really imagine the sharp-witted Tyrion of the show falling in love with some tart who constantly calls him her "giant of Lannister"?

I can't believe people here can look at a screenshot of Asha and be convinced that she can't portray her well. Does Asha need to have short hair to be Asha? Does Renly need to have long hair to be Renly? No. And let's not forget that that screenshot is of Asha as Esgred, not Asha as Asha.

This, so much. Give the girl a chance, she isn't there only to fuel fantasies. I don't remember Asha being a babe in the books either, it was her confidence that made her so attractive to Theon, for example.

I also believe that the show!Shae is a major improvement over the book!non-entity as a character. I absolutely couldn't understand Tyrion's fascination with her on paper and I dreaded their scenes but she's an utterly believable seductress on the show.

I know, they have done so well casting-wise, I was really shocked at the failure with a character as vivid as Asha. How hard can it be to find a girl like that willing to stage awesome fight scenes and get naked?

Although I will admit that Aeron Damphair looks a little pudgy. I reckon they are just striking out on the Greyjoys.

Aeron Damphair has not been cast. The baptism scene features Alfie Allen as Theon and an unidentified extra as a priest of the drowned god.

Agree with the other posts criticizing the knee jerk responses here. I will wait to see a performer in a role before passing judgement on their suitability.

At least wait until you've seen her in an episode before deciding that she is horrible. I am severely disappointed in this thread.

We didn't judge her performance at playing Asha at all.

We talked about the physical match only.

Do you mean the match between Yara the television character and your picture of Asha? There is no definitive physical representation of Asha.

Exactly. Does her physical appearance (from one tiny milisecond of video btw) warrant such responses as:

If that is indeed our Asha/Yara, this is a worse casting choice / portrayal than Shae was... and she was (is/will be) horrible.

She might turn out to be more attractive than a fraction of a second shot of her can portray.

All we see is her with her eyes closed at an awkward angle she looks a bit plump I guess but I'm sure you lonely neckbeards will still be fapping if they get her naked.

Also I must mention, when talking about dubious casting choices and defending an unproven character, I wouldn't lean on Renly as a prime example of what can go right... He is absolutely the worst cast... That mini Renly feature confirmed it. I can fart more enthusiastically then when he made his little march of King's Landing speech.

Seven hells! I'm glad there are some sensible people on this thread!

You're judging the actress on one head shot and one split second of trailer and suddenly she's Season 2's biggest casting fail!

Come on, people! Give the hardcore fans of A Song of Ice and Fire a good name and don't reduce yourselves to the rabid fan stereotype who whines about every minor physical detail the actor does not share with their book counterpart!

I think GOT have done a fantastic job in selecting actors for the show. Sure - Renly, Shae and Ros may have caused some derision on the point of fans but I think with Renly and Shae we will be more complicated characters than what we've seen in the books (obviously George was limited somewhat by the smaller POV structure) and I'm sure Ros is more than just a whore there to please the T&A fans. Obviously that's part of her purpose in the show as HBO want to sell the sex scenes but I'm sure David and DB will have her serve a purpose for the story.

ETA: I am annoyed by the name change from Asha to Yara though. That's just insulting the audience's intelligence which is a shame because the show has largely relied on being very exposition heavy and throwing people into the deep end. Osha and Asha sound different. I can understand changing Robert Arryn to Robin and removing Jhogo because it sounds too much like Drogo but changing a main character's name is ridiculous. I don't know if that's on the part of the writers or HBO though.

Robert, Ned, Syrio, many others had changed appearances from the books. It is not important as long as it is not character-defining (like Tyrion's height). The important thing is that they find an actor/actress that can do the role well.

As for the name change, I bet it is because Theon has a lot of interaction with both of these characters, and at some point both of them are in Winterfell. People have pointed out that Yara sounds like Arya, but these two characters are never together and live in completely different "spheres". I do agree that the name itself is not that good, but eh. It is not that important.

Vandalism: A lot of words/ names have a different meaning in some language or other. You can't expect the writers to take that into account.

Exactly. Does her physical appearance (from one tiny milisecond of video btw) warrant such responses as:

I can't answer for the other's responses.

As for

Yes, it definitely warrants it.

There are many characters whose physical appearance doesn't matter. Only the "personality".

Catelyn for example is far older and therefore less pretty than book!Catelyn. And I don't care. Because her prettiness plays a very low and perhaps non-existent role in the current storyline (it mattered when she was young, but not now).

Asha however, her warrior look and her attractiveness are important.

It's completely different to read her sex scene with Qarl (or imagine her talking about a future one with Tris), when you consider her ugly.

The same when she's talking about her axe. The tall charismatic Asha from the books doesn't deliver the speech the same way in your mind.

I'm really convinced that I wouldn't read it the same way now that I have the actress's image in mind.

Archived