A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

In the Hedge knight we see Daerion T explain to Dunk the dream he had about Dunk killing a red dragon, and he said to Dunk " my dream are not like yours, they do come true" (paraphrase). I know he does not worship the old go but do you think that some of the Targaryen are Green-seer?

Bloodraven is,of course,so perhaps it's in the blood.Don't know of any others,though I haven't read any more Dunc&Egg.

Some Targs do have dreams of the future, this does not necessarily means they are greenseer, and even if it does, it was never told that you have to worship the old gods to be a greenseer...

In ADWD we are told that the greenseer are probably the old gods.

Both appearances by the Others in the books were in the presence of "sentinel" trees.

Personally,I think it's probably an irrelevance,but then does George say things without a reason?

I can't think of any other mentions of sentinel trees.

Sentinel trees are pretty common in the descriptions of the landscape of the North. I am doing a re-read of AGOT and I've already come across a bunch of references around Winterfell and the Haunted Forest around the Wall.

In the Hedge knight we see Daerion T explain to Dunk the dream he had about Dunk killing a red dragon, and he said to Dunk " my dream are not like yours, they do come true" (paraphrase). I know he does not worship the old go but do you think that some of the Targaryen are Green-seer?

No. I think that's of a different stripe than being a greenseer. Two different types of "gifts" that happen to overlap in the prophecy department. No evidence of warging ability or power over nature or anything of that sort in the Targs.

Stannis pretty much retreated when the Lannister/Tyrell host arrived at Blackwater.As well as that Stannis was heavily outnumbered at the wall but won because the Wildlings were taken by surprise and disorganized.

Also Mance dived into the center of the fighting and was captured,essentially causing a mass retreat.

Stannis also had trained knights on horseback in full armor who tore through the wildling ranks before they even knew what hit them.

Thanks. I forgot the obvious advantage Stannis had with his armored knights, together with the element of suprise. But his armored knights where mostly Florents (Queens men) am I right?

Can someone tell me with how much men Stannis attacked Kings Landing, and with how much he landed at Eastwatch? Lastly, when he moved south, did he left all the Queens men, or did he took some with them?

At the end of AFfC, why was Leo included in Marwyn's band of conspirators? He didn't seem to get along with the rest of them, especially Alleras and original Pate in the first chapter so isn't it suspicious that he was hanging out with them in the last?

Bloodraven is,of course,so perhaps it's in the blood.Don't know of any others,though I haven't read any more Dunc&Egg.

I think Bloodraven said that some Targs have dreams of the future. Not all are interpreted correctly and leads to problems for that person. It reminded me of seeing the future in the red priests flames. I think it was the last Dunc and Egg story.

I think Bloodraven said that some Targs have dreams of the future. Not all are interpreted correctly and leads to problems for that person. It reminded me of seeing the future in the red priests flames. I think it was the last Dunc and Egg story.

more Targs with prophetic dreams were Daeron the Drunken and Daemon Blackfyre the Fiddler (since we talk of Dunk&Egg stories).

Are we still have to mark as spoilers references to ADWD (here in the General section) or are we free to spoil ? :dunno:

I'm assuming it's a spoiler free zone in the general section.

But open to correction.

Last I checked, ADWD spoilers may be left umarked in the General section. If you haven't read it yet, you should probably stick to the "Still Reading" section until you do.

What does "thick as thieves" mean? Very close friends? It's about Tyrion and Bronn

Inseparable, not necessarily friends, but it implies alliance, conspiracy.

Thanks.

At the part where Brinden was talking about Lysa refusing tons of men for marriage, catelyn replied with this

“She says yes, provided she finds a man who suits her,” Brynden Tully said, “but she has already rejected Lord Nestor and a dozen other suitable men. She swears that this time she will choose her lord husband.”

“You of all people can scarce fault her for that.”

What's the sentence in red mean?

Sorry for all my questions but . . . I think I realized now that my English isn't as good as I'd like it to be :(

@DirePenguin

It means "You of all people can hardly fault her for that"

Brynden, "the Blackfish", Tully never got married, even though Lord Hoster Tully really wanted him to. Brynden rejected all marriage proposals. Catelyn says to Brynden, that he can´t criticise Lysa for rejecting Lord Nestor and a dozen other suitable men.

At the end of AFfC, why was Leo included in Marwyn's band of conspirators? He didn't seem to get along with the rest of them, especially Alleras and original Pate in the first chapter so isn't it suspicious that he was hanging out with them in the last?

I think it is weird too. I assume that the answer is that GRRM may need a tratior in the group later, so he decided to add a character like that among them. Or to show that the Tyrells had their hands in everytinhg.

In-world: Maybe Marwyn had nothing against him like his fellow students did, and I assume he was the one who chose his own conspirators. Other acolytes had nothing to say in that matter, most likely.

@DirePenguin

This is when Tyrion goes up to the Eyrie, where he is to be tried. I´m surprised that you understood chagrined (displeased). I didn´t. Went to his fate means went to his destiny.

So the whole sentence: “Alas, my lord father would no doubt be most chagrined if his son of Lannister went to his fate like a load of turnips."

You can also say: "Unfortunately, my lord father would no doubt be most displeased if his son of Lannister was going to his destiny like a load of turnips."

Archived