A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

I was looking for info on the horn of winter and maybe someone can fill me in on a current theory or point me to a thread I missed? From the start I thought that the horn Jon found at the Fist of the First Men was; in fact, the horn of winter or at least until Mance showed up with his horn. Seeing how Thormund claims that Mance's horn was a bluff all along I tend to think my gut was right after all.

I was looking for info on the horn of winter and maybe someone can fill me in on a current theory or point me to a thread I missed? From the start I thought that the horn Jon found at the Fist of the First Men was; in fact, the horn of winter or at least until Mance showed up with his horn. Seeing how Thormund claims that Mance's horn was a bluff all along I tend to think my gut was right after all.

The prevailing theory is that yes, the horn they found in the obsidian cache is the "real" horn, if there is a "real" horn.

To favour someone with something means to gift them it. In this case he's giving them a mocking smile and making sure they know it.

The intent is slightly ironic, as you can just as equally favour people with, say, a warm friendly smile. But that's not really Visy's thing.

But Darth didn't view what he was saying as a bad thing, right? He was saying that the destiny he had in mind for Luke was a good thing. And it was Darth's fate to die after redeeming himself slightly.

To quote Obiwan: "That depends upon your point of view" :D

Probably a trivial answer to this question, but I cannot think of it: Why did Davos sail to Storm's End with all the oninos to feed Stannis&co. during the siege? It is not that it matters to a common pirate who wins the civil war, as long as he can continue his trade. So why bother going there and feeding a whole army? (Why even putting so much onion on you ship?)

:leaving:

To quote Obiwan: "That depends upon your point of view" :D

Yes, and we use language and words with differing connotations to express our point of view. So what one might consider a cruel fate, another might consider a glorious destiny.

Probably a trivial answer to this question, but I cannot think of it: Why did Davos sail to Storm's End with all the oninos to feed Stannis&co. during the siege? It is not that it matters to a common pirate who wins the civil war, as long as he can continue his trade. So why bother going there and feeding a whole army? (Why even putting so much onion on you ship?)

:leaving:

Because Davos Seaworth is the greatest man ever to live in Westeros!

No, actually I don't think this has ever been sufficiently explained. Maybe we'll get Davos' memory of it sometime in a later book, because we haven't yet heard why Davos was a Baratheon supporter.

Because Davos Seaworth is the greatest man ever to live in Westeros!

No, actually I don't think this has ever been sufficiently explained. Maybe we'll get Davos' memory of it sometime in a later book, because we haven't yet heard why Davos was a Baratheon supporter.

To be realistic, he is not. I mean, he is a great man, honourable and good and stuff, but some of his chapters tend to be boring *cough*Ijustreadthe20-pagelongdescriptionofshipsattheBlackwater*cough*.

Thank you, I already thought I was missing something important.

@Buckwheat

I always pictured Davos having obtained a shipload of onions for unknown reasons, and who will pay you better, than a great lord under siege?

ETA: I think Davos only became a Stannis supporter afterwards, when he was rewarded beyond his expactations and at the same time punished for his crime of smuggling. Regarding the punishment as a sort of absolution, and being impressed by Stannis´ incontrovertable adherence to the law. Recourse to the law is of great value to people in such insecure professions as "trading".

Probably a trivial answer to this question, but I cannot think of it: Why did Davos sail to Storm's End with all the oninos to feed Stannis&co. during the siege? It is not that it matters to a common pirate who wins the civil war, as long as he can continue his trade. So why bother going there and feeding a whole army? (Why even putting so much onion on you ship?) :leaving:

I think he just wanna get paid...

A question: Is there a theory concerning the horn that is said to exist em Claw Isle? It is said that it can summon monsters from the waters, or something...

A question: Is there a theory concerning the horn that is said to exist em Claw Isle? It is said that it can summon monsters from the waters, or something...

There are theories about Aeron waking a Kraken to fight Euron...

ETA: I think Davos only became a Stannis supporter afterwards, when he was rewarded beyond his expactations and at the same time punished for his crime of smuggling. Regarding the punishment as a sort of absolution, and being impressed by Stannis´ incontrovertable adherence to the law. Recourse to the law is of great value to people in such insecure professions as "trading".

I also thought of it that way ... that is why his decision to go to Storm's End in the first place puzzled me.

Not so much a question as a strange observation:

Isn't a bit weird that, after warging Ghost and seeing what the wildlings were up to in aCoK, we don't ONCE hear Jon remark that this is slightly odd, or reflect in any way on this ability, or generally seem the least bit phased by something he probably assumed was just folklore up till then? He mentions in aSoS that some of the wildlings call him a warg, and again just glosses over it as if it were any other nickname. I don't really understand this.

Not so much a question as a strange observation:

Isn't a bit weird that, after warging Ghost and seeing what the wildlings were up to in aCoK, we don't ONCE hear Jon remark that this is slightly odd, or reflect in any way on this ability, or generally seem the least bit phased by something he probably assumed was just folklore up till then? He mentions in aSoS that some of the wildlings call him a warg, and again just glosses over it as if it were any other nickname. I don't really understand this.

It's like Arya, who keeps seeing things through the eyes of Nymeria or a random cat and doesn't find that strange at all. Maybe Robb and Rickon acted the same way to their warging abilities, who knows? Bran is the only one who rationalizes the experience, and only because he is guided to do so (through his dreams and Jojen). I think they just react instinctively to it, like it's a natural thing, a part of them, and don't even have the space to question how strange that seems to be after all.

Edit: it would be like questioning an ability you have and other people don't, like being ambidextrous. It's a part of you, you may find it strange, different, but it's simply too hard to rationalize it.

I also thought of it that way ... that is why his decision to go to Storm's End in the first place puzzled me.

Well, the siege last many months, so news of it certainly reached him, wherever he was. The man was a smuggler, so he probably saw feeding a bunch of starving men who would give anything for food and be forever grateful to him as a good opportunity to get tons of money, maybe he even expected to be granted lands, especially if he suspected Robert might win the throne (which was likely, at that point), and probably thought the new king would be extremely happy that he had saved both his brothers from starvation. He obviously didn't know Robert, and didn't expect Stannis' lovely sense of justice. :cool4:

But the difference is that Arya doesn't know she's actually warging Nymeria, she just thinks she dreams of being a wolf. Jon had confirmation that what he saw was not only real, but was what Ghost was seeing as well. Bran's the only other Stark to have this confirmation, and his entire arc is based on exploring this. Seems odd not to just throw in a paragraph somewhere in which Jon reflects at the oddness of it.

But the difference is that Arya doesn't know she's actually warging Nymeria, she just thinks she dreams of being a wolf. Jon had confirmation that what he saw was not only real, but was what Ghost was seeing as well. Bran's the only other Stark to have this confirmation, and his entire arc is based on exploring this. Seems odd not to just throw in a paragraph somewhere in which Jon reflects at the oddness of it.

But Arya must know something is up with the cat, too. I think the first time she sees through the cat's eyes at the inn was an accident but the second time she uses the cat's eyes - when the Kindly Man tries to hit her with a stick - I think that was deliberate. Yet she doesn't seem to think that it is weird or anything. As far as I can recall, she seems to just take it in her stride that this is a skill she has and then uses it to her advantage.

But doesn't she react as if she knew what she sees through Nymeria's eyes is true in a certain moment/ I think it was when the wolves found Catelyn's body, and Arya says something to Sandor about it?

If there is another thread about this topic, please direct me to it.

Regarding the dragon eggs that Illyrio gives Dany. If they were valuable enough to provide Viserys with all of the armies and ships that he would need to invade Westros,(Viserys thought so when he was going to steal them) why didn't Illyrio just buy the army and ships for Viserys and send him on his way? Did Illyrio genuinely want to put Viserys on the throne? Was Viserys just stupid(again)?Did Illyrio have any idea that the eggs would actually hatch?

Archived