A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

The ultimate Cersei moment, imho, demonstrating just what a psycho idiot she is:

Nah, IMO the ultimate example of what she describes is when, in AFFC, she compliments Tommen's jousting by comparing him to "his father", when she's clearly thinking about Jaime. Then Margaery asks her what tourneys Robert had won, and she changes the subject. :lol:

And what is a solar? Is it like an out door room?

Dude, seriously, this is a thread for questions about story/plot/character/world-building elements from the books, not English 101. Besides, a quick use of dictionary.com would have told you:

sol·ar

2    [sol-er, soh-ler] Show IPA

noun

a private or upper chamber in a medieval English house.

(If your English is so limited that you have to ask about every other word here, I suggest you read a translated version of the books...)

Here's a small question that nonetheless bugs me, because I can't imagine a plausible answer for it.

When Cersei and Ser Kevan dine together, she asks him whether he plans to bring his wife Dorna to court. Of all the things Cersei must want to know at this point, why on earth would that interest her? She seems to approve of the negative answer: "It is a wise woman who knows her place"-- in this case, far away from King's Landing.

The only hypothesis I have come up with is that Cersei sees the world in terms of rival women-- the entire reason she decided that the Tyrells were her worst enemies (rather than strongest allies) was that she envied and resented Margaery, and therefore cast her as the threat from Maggie's prophecy. Since Uncle Kevan is now Regent, and in charge of the court, Cersei might therefore see Mrs. Kevan as a potential rival for the place of "most powerful/primary female" in Cersei's tiny world. If Kevan meant to bring his wife to court, Cersei would start planning to remove her lest Mrs. Kevan gain the power to tell Cersei what to do.

That something is ludicrous is no reason Cersei won't believe it and act on it. She constantly acts on fantasies she mistakes for truths, and tends to react emotionally according to her preferences rather than any facts. She keeps getting mad when anyone calls Margaery a queen, insisting internally that "I am the queen!!" even though she must be aware that she is no longer a queen since Tommen is king. At best she was a regent, although even that power she grabbed for herself; no one ever *appointed* Cersei Regent. If Tommen is the monarch of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei is NOT the queen, but she seems totally unable to admit that fact and gets mad whenever anyone acts as though she were not herself monarch.

Any other guesses about why Cersei would ask Kevan about his wife coming to court, of all the things she might want to know while she awaits her trial and possible execution?

Here's a small question that nonetheless bugs me, because I can't imagine a plausible answer for it.

When Cersei and Ser Kevan dine together, she asks him whether he plans to bring his wife Dorna to court. Of all the things Cersei must want to know at this point, why on earth would that interest her? She seems to approve of the negative answer: "It is a wise woman who knows her place"-- in this case, far away from King's Landing.

The only hypothesis I have come up with is that Cersei sees the world in terms of rival women-- the entire reason she decided that the Tyrells were her worst enemies (rather than strongest allies) was that she envied and resented Margaery, and therefore cast her as the threat from Maggie's prophecy. Since Uncle Kevan is now Regent, and in charge of the court, Cersei might therefore see Mrs. Kevan as a potential rival for the place of "most powerful/primary female" in Cersei's tiny world. If Kevan meant to bring his wife to court, Cersei would start planning to remove her lest Mrs. Kevan gain the power to tell Cersei what to do.

That something is ludicrous is no reason Cersei won't believe it and act on it. She constantly acts on fantasies she mistakes for truths, and tends to react emotionally according to her preferences rather than any facts. She keeps getting mad when anyone calls Margaery a queen, insisting internally that "I am the queen!!" even though she must be aware that she is no longer a queen since Tommen is king. At best she was a regent, although even that power she grabbed for herself; no one ever *appointed* Cersei Regent. If Tommen is the monarch of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei is NOT the queen, but she seems totally unable to admit that fact and gets mad whenever anyone acts as though she were not herself monarch.

Any other guesses about why Cersei would ask Kevan about his wife coming to court, of all the things she might want to know while she awaits her trial and possible execution?

I think it's part of the game she's playing, somehow she wants to manipulate Kevan or make him empathize with her. Can't think of any other reason.

<<she compliments Tommen's jousting by comparing him to "his father", when she's clearly thinking about Jaime. Then Margaery asks her what tourneys Robert had won, and she changes the subject.>>

It's even more characteristic of her that she didn't simply change the subject. She realizes she's made a mistake (which is unusual for her to admit to herself, except when she's wrong about what mistake she made... ) and covers it with a flat out lie. She replies that Robert won a tourney he hadn't, and named her queen of love and beauty, and that she's surprised Margaery doesn't know about that story. If the facts are inconvenient, make up a lie, and then act like everyone else is at fault.... Cersei in a nut-shell!

A solar was a private room so-called because it was supposed to be located in such a way as to admit sunlight. In the upper part of the building, usually with windows-- what the Victorians might re-name the drawing room, but from an era without gas or electric light, so that the amount of natural outside light a room let in would make a great difference to its comfort and atmosphere. Remember when Edmure reminisces about his father in his solar, he remembers Hoster looking out the windows at his rivers. A solar would be built specifically to let in a lot of light, situated in the best position for the lord's enjoyment of the light and views.

That's more than dictionARY.COM would tell you, but I agree, it's better manners to look up the meanings of the words in commonly available resources!

I think she is actually being a bit of a po-faced, sarcastic, smart aleck with the "It is a wise woman who knows her place". But Kevan wants to believe that Cersei has been reformed, he wants to believe that his drastic actions in making her do the walk of shame has actually worked.

She is also throwing him off the scent. I think she is just telling Kevan what he wants to hear. Kevan, nice guy but a bit dim, takes Cersei at her word and he is very pleased with his success in de-clawing the lioness. But really Cersei is just biding her time and eventually she will be back, more deranged and entertaining (for us) than ever.

I also think that there may be an implied threat in her questioning Kevan about his wife, it it just that Kevan is not imaginative enough to get it. I think that Cersei is secretly thinking of ways to get at Kevan's wife, just in case she needs to pull him into line.

It's even more characteristic of her that she didn't simply change the subject. She realizes she's made a mistake (which is unusual for her to admit to herself, except when she's wrong about what mistake she made... ) and covers it with a flat out lie. She replies that Robert won a tourney he hadn't, and named her queen of love and beauty, and that she's surprised Margaery doesn't know about that story. If the facts are inconvenient, make up a lie, and then act like everyone else is at fault.... Cersei in a nut-shell!

Hah, you're right, I had forgotten this detail. Nice save, Cersei. xD

What was Dany thinking when she climbed on the Pyre with her dragon eggs? She knew she couldn't burn, alright...but what was she trying to accomplish?

Did she know the dragons would hatch? How so? And why would they hatch anyways? I know it's magic and all, but surely there is some logic or history behind why that entire ritual.

Any answer are appreciated! :D

Nah, IMO the ultimate example of what she describes is when, in AFFC, she compliments Tommen's jousting by comparing him to "his father", when she's clearly thinking about Jaime. Then Margaery asks her what tourneys Robert had won, and she changes the subject. :lol:

Dude, seriously, this is a thread for questions about story/plot/character/world-building elements from the books, not English 101. Besides, a quick use of dictionary.com would have told you:

sol·ar

2    [sol-er, soh-ler] Show IPA

noun

a private or upper chamber in a medieval English house.

(If your English is so limited that you have to ask about every other word here, I suggest you read a translated version of the books...)

Really no need to be snarky to Dire Penguin, who is not an English speaker and often asks for explanations of words and phrases. And people help.

Try to channel Sansa, (or the boy scouts), and be polite to strangers who need help.. :cool4:

<<she compliments Tommen's jousting by comparing him to "his father", when she's clearly thinking about Jaime. Then Margaery asks her what tourneys Robert had won, and she changes the subject.>>

Actually she only referred to the battle at Trident as to the tournament at Trident, she mentioned that Robert defeated Rhaegar - which he did - and made her his queen of love and beauty - he married her. Her answer was actually very witty and good, seeing that she had no time to thnik of it.

Longwaters is the chief undergaoler, who Jaime goes to see in his search for the missing Varys in AFFC. He tells Jaime an ancestor was one of the beautiful Targ princesses who was locked up by her brother, and that she had an affair with Admiral Oakenfist, and named their basterd son Waters in his honour. The boy supposedly grew up to be a great knight, and his son was a great knight too, and added the "Long" before Waters to show he was not baseborn.

Jaime says "Yes, I almost mistook you for Aegon the Conqueror" and then goes on to think, Waters is a very common name around Blackwater Bay.

But the story does give an idication of what could happen if a bastard marries and has children. Many bastards wear their names with pride, even while people like Loras Tyrell sneared at the names of Great LCs of the KG who had bastard names. Presumably it would depend on how sensitive you are to the bastard name.

Hi quick question that has sort of bugged me.

If a bastard was to marry and have a child what name would the child have?

According to what George says in this SSM, most legitimate sons of bastards keep the bastard name, but some may fiddle with it in later generations (as with Longwaters, whom others have mentioned). Interestingly, I've only just now noticed that he says that legitimate sons of bastards may keep the bastard name. But what about daughters? Is he implying that daughters won't be given the name? Or did he mean to say "children" here? It's not really clear to me.

Pretty sure the copy of Robb's will part is a popular supposition by fans, not something in the books. But Maege and Galbart would know who he named in the will, as it says all his lords witnessed it. Pre Dance, lots assumed Howland had Rickon Stark, too.

This isn't popular supposition by fans. The copy of Robb's Will was sent with Maege Mormont to Greywater Watch before the Red Wedding. It was the last that was heard of Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont. What became of it would be supposition.

Archived