A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

@DirePenguin

Sam thinks he will not improve.

And ignore what Morrigan said, I and many others are happy to help you. Morrigan seems to be unaware that there are languages the books are not translated to, or in my case translated horribly.

ETA: @Umberto You could look here.

This isn't popular supposition by fans. The copy of Robb's Will was sent with Maege Mormont to Greywater Watch before the Red Wedding. It was the last that was heard of Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont. What became of it would be supposition.

We were never told what happened to the signed copy of the will as it was only mentioned at the very end of the chapter. It was introduced as a seperate subject to the battle orders for taking Moat Cailin and it is unlikely that the only copy of the will would have been sent to Greywater Watch as Robb had stated he would be giving Glover and Mormont false papers in case they were captured.

There are plenty of threads on the subject, this is a recent one:

Robbs Last Document?

A small question which I could not find by searching the forum:

How does Jaqen H'agar make the connection that Weasel is Arya Stark? I suppose he overheard the conversation between Gendry and Arya but at best he can make out that she is part of a Northern Lords family or close circle.

Thanks Lykos :)

And thanks for the dictionary link Morrigan. Sorry if this is the wrong place. But I seem to get the fastest response in this thread.

I've been using English dictionary for my language, it's missing a lot of words from this book :( And there are sentences here and there that knowing individual words don't help . . . Again I'm sorry about that. I'm rereading the first book and just trying to understand it better.

Small question regarding Jaqen

If Jaqen is a FM then he isn't allowed anyone except his target right? Then why does he kill Pate? I doubt Pate was his target

I understand why he killed the three people at Harrenhall but thats different than Pate

It doesn't make any sense to kill Pate except if the purpose was to infiltrate the Citadel, in which case I thought the FM only killed people, infiltrating and finding out secrets is more of a sellsword thing IMO

If Jaqen is a FM then he isn't allowed anyone except his target right? Then why does he kill Pate? I doubt Pate was his target

I understand why he killed the three people at Harrenhall but thats different than Pate

It doesn't make any sense to kill Pate except if the purpose was to infiltrate the Citadel, in which case I thought the FM only killed people, infiltrating and finding out secrets is more of a sellsword thing IMO

I assume you answered your own questions. However, I think we have to wait 'till The Winds of Winter to find out more about that.

What was Dany thinking when she climbed on the Pyre with her dragon eggs? She knew she couldn't burn, alright...but what was she trying to accomplish?

Did she know the dragons would hatch? How so? And why would they hatch anyways? I know it's magic and all, but surely there is some logic or history behind why that entire ritual.

Any answer are appreciated! :D

That might have been some kind of instinct, gut feeling, or, the answer I like best: her believing fire wouldn't burn her and that the eggs would hatch was simply the first indication that Daenerys does have the Targaryen tendency to madness and might end up like her dear father; she was just lucky in the end. ;)

A small question which I could not find by searching the forum:

How does Jaqen H'agar make the connection that Weasel is Arya Stark? I suppose he overheard the conversation between Gendry and Arya but at best he can make out that she is part of a Northern Lords family or close circle.

Well, the FM do seem to be trained to observe things more closely than people generally do, that's part of their job. I suppose he noticed that she spoke like a highborn girl, might have noticed her Stark looks, might even have been aware that Arya Stark was missing, so it wouldn't be impossible to make the connection, even if he didn't eavesdrop their conversation. There also seems to be a theory saying that Jaqen was actually Syrio or something like that, so...

I don't think he meant to kill Pate; I think the golden coin he paid him with had been taken from that pond, or something like that, from the House of the Undying, so it was poisoned, and Pate was foolish enough to bite the coin to pretend he could actually differentiate gold from other metals.

So this isn't important at all. But I was wondering if Brandon was Lord before Eddard? I know both Rickon and Brandon were murdered, but if Rickon died first then Brandon became the Lord untill he died and then Eddard became Lord after Brandon. I'm just curiosity.

Thanks Lykos :)

And thanks for the dictionary link Morrigan. Sorry if this is the wrong place. But I seem to get the fastest response in this thread.

I've been using English dictionary for my language, it's missing a lot of words from this book :( And there are sentences here and there that knowing individual words don't help . . . Again I'm sorry about that. I'm rereading the first book and just trying to understand it better.

You might want to make a separate thread to get these questions answered. It seems like you're going to have a lot of them. I'm sure those who are happy to help you would be happy to do so outside of this thread.

So this isn't important at all. But I was wondering if Brandon was Lord before Eddard? I know both Rickon and Brandon were murdered, but if Rickon died first then Brandon became the Lord untill he died and then Eddard became Lord after Brandon. I'm just curiosity.

But weren't they killed practically at the same time? I don't know if it's ever stated who dies first, but it's possibly only a matter of seconds. Which means that it probably jumped from Rickard to Eddard, and Brandon never was lord.

It's Rickard.

They were killed at roughly the same time. I can't remember who died first — Rickard was cooked alive and Brandon strangled himself trying to save his father. Either way, if Brandon was Lord of Winterfell it would've been for, like, minutes at the most.

What's curious about this is that maybe neither of them were Lords. Don't know if this is the case but Aerys could've stripped lands and titles from the Starks, it's never mentioned he did but since he killed both Rickard and Brandon and ordered Lord Arryn for Ned's head it could be possible that he tried to end the Starks. I know there's still Benjen and Lyanna but it's still a very interesting set of circumstances and technicalities.

Who knows what was going through Aerys mind those last months ?

What's curious about this is that maybe neither of them were Lords. Don't know if this is the case but Aerys could've stripped lands and titles from the Starks, it's never mentioned he did but since he killed both Rickard and Brandon and ordered Lord Arryn for Ned's head it could be possible that he tried to end the Starks. I know there's still Benjen and Lyanna but it's still a very interesting set of circumstances and technicalities.

Who knows what was going through Aerys mind those last months ?

Given that the rebellion began right after Aerys had the Starks killed, I don't think it really matters if or when he stripped the Starks of their power.

And ignore what Morrigan said, I and many others are happy to help you. Morrigan seems to be unaware that there are languages the books are not translated to, or in my case translated horribly.

Of course I'm aware, but this thread really doesn't seem a practical venue for this kind of question. But i guess that's just me... *shrugs*

@Morrigan

Sorry, but you gave the advise to read the translated version of the books. I would second a seperate thread for small questions concerning textual understanding, if it´s pinned. But keep in mind that a lot of pinned topics don´t help in keeping a good overview.

I advised DirePenguin to ask the questions here, because I thought a thread of unrelated small questions most fitting, and I really don´t see how a question concerning textual understanding could disrupt people who are looking for answers concerning content.

I can't even access my own profile :(

Where do I go for help?

its the same for all of us. I guess that due to net traffic and other issues some functionality is disabled :) its nothing to worry about though :)

It's Rickard. They were killed at roughly the same time. I can't remember who died first — Rickard was cooked alive and Brandon strangled himself trying to save his father. Either way, if Brandon was Lord of Winterfell it would've been for, like, minutes at the most.

Sorry I didn't have my book on me.

I don't think he meant to kill Pate; I think the golden coin he paid him with had been taken from that pond, or something like that, from the House of the Undying, so it was poisoned, and Pate was foolish enough to bite the coin to pretend he could actually differentiate gold from other metals.

I don't like the theory that a FM would kill by accident, or dish out poisoned coins without realising that they were poisoned. After all, a Faceless Man can't be haphazard.

It seems to me that it was necessary to do away with Pate - or another initiate - in order to take his identity. We don't yet know why he took Pate's identity, but we've got to assume that it was all part of the plan. Meaning that killing for the purposes of the mission is permitted - which seems to contrast with what Arya was told when killing the merchant.

So, maybe Pate was part of the contract?

Archived