A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

Pretty sure the copy of Robb's will part is a popular supposition by fans, not something in the books. But Maege and Galbart would know who he named in the will, as it says all his lords witnessed it. Pre Dance, lots assumed Howland had Rickon Stark, too.

I stand corrected. The rest of what I said was right.

Is there any chance Quentyn could be alive? I remember reading a fan theory on how Quentyn and the Tattererd Prince may have swapped places and that Quentyn is actually riding Viserion at the moment. I think it was based on Quentyn's odd reaction to his burning - though now that GRRM has confirmed that Targaryens aren't resistant to fire, I think that one's out. On top of that though, Gerris Drinkwater was acting really strange, almost out of character. Is this a crackpot theory or does it sound reasonable?

Is there any chance Quentyn could be alive? I remember reading a fan theory on how Quentyn and the Tattererd Prince may have swapped places and that Quentyn is actually riding Viserion at the moment. I think it was based on Quentyn's odd reaction to his burning - though now that GRRM has confirmed that Targaryens aren't resistant to fire, I think that one's out. On top of that though, Gerris Drinkwater was acting really strange, almost out of character. Is this a crackpot theory or does it sound reasonable?

No. That's crackpot in the extreme. I know what theory you're talking about and there's nothing to it.

How come Dorne was never conquered by the Targs and their dragons?

Dorne became part of the 7 kingdoms through a marriage IIRC, but why could no one defeat the Dornish through standard Aegon steamrollering? Why couldn't the triple dragon assault template work down south?

Have I forgotten something? Did Dorne bend the knee before falling or declare themselves neutral? I thought in the lore of the series they had always resisted invasion?

(I know one Targ king briefly conquered Dorne but was then killed and the campaign ended in failure, so that doesn't count!)

Dorne became part of the 7 kingdoms through a marriage IIRC, but why could no one defeat the Dornish through standard Aegon steamrollering? Why couldn't the triple dragon assault template work down south?

Have I forgotten something? Did Dorne bend the knee before falling or declare themselves neutral? I thought in the lore of the series they had always resisted invasion?

(I know one Targ king briefly conquered Dorne but was then killed and the campaign ended in failure, so that doesn't count!)

I think it's implied that Dorne's terrain (mostly desert) and asymmetrical (read: guerrilla) warfare were what kept it from being conquered. It's a lesson that the other kingdoms could learn.

I always figured as a result of the mountain ranges shielding Dorne from the rest of Westeros, it would be near impossible to get an entire invading army into Dorne. You could fly the 3 dragons to Sunspear sure but without an army to back them up its too much of a gamble with such a valuable chess piece.

Can anyone enlighten me regarding 'first night rights' as spoken of by Roose and Ramsay? I've got my own assumptions, but rather than sound like a proper dolt, I'd like to see if anyone else's thoughts on the matter match my own before I start rambling...a proper cop-out I know, but it wouldn't be the first time I've spouted a load of rubbish and crawled away with embarassment! Any help with this small but bothersome question would be much appreciated.

'first night rights'

Wiki says that it is an alleged legal right allowing a medieval lord to take the virginity of his serfs' maiden daughters but there is no historical evidence that it has ever existed. A post-medieval urban legend :)

Look up "droit du seigneur" online and you'll find out more.

Wiki says that it is an alleged legal right allowing a medieval lord to take the virginity of his serfs' maiden daughters but there is no historical evidence that it has ever existed. A post-medieval urban legend :)

Look up "droit du seigneur" online and you'll find out more.

Of course it has evidence, it was in Braveheart... :hat: :cool4:

Many thanks, that's more or less what I thought. I think it was Roose and the miller that threw me a little, as I couldn't fathom why he'd take any notice of what the miller got up to and with whom. Will look up 'droit du seigneur' straight away :)

Now I've looked up that little bit of french, things are much clearer.

Of course it has evidence, it was in Braveheart... :hat: :cool4:

Otherwise known as a paragon of historical accuracy :D

Will look up 'droit du seigneur' straight away :)

It certainly makes for a great story element, I can understand why GRRM wanted it in the books.

I have a question concerning Mel and when she was able to turn Queen Selyse into a follwer of the Lord of Light??? Have they always been followers or did they release that info when Robert died. I just find it convienent that right when Stannis is fighting for the Iron Throne, Mel is there saying he is Azor Azai reborn or do you think if Robert never died she would be still be preaching that...

I have a question concerning Mel and when she was able to turn Queen Selyse into a follwer of the Lord of Light??? Have they always been followers or did they release that info when Robert died. I just find it convienent that right when Stannis is fighting for the Iron Throne, Mel is there saying he is Azor Azai reborn or do you think if Robert never died she would be still be preaching that...

I don't think that's ever revealed, but from the way Davos thinks about her it is indeed recent. Maybe she only saw Stannis in her fires after Robert's death, when he was calling his banners - when he was on the way to becoming king, as you said. And as Dragonstone is not that far from Essos, it's not impossible she arrived there just a couple of months before the prologue to ACOK. Maybe that was why it took Stannis so long to act - he didn't have Mel's magic at first.

What is the difference between Noble and Masterly (like Glover and Tallhart) houses? Does their seats used to be reserved for younger Starks? Are they just "hereditary castellans"?

The Glovers and Tallharts would still be nobles. They just aren't paramount houses with authority over the entire region (i.e. the Starks are a paramount noble house with authority over the entire north). The Glovers and Tallharts and Boltons and so on have their own land, but they would pay taxes toward the Starks, send men and supplies if the Starks asked, etc. They have that land at the Starks' pleasure. Occasionally you'll see a smaller house sworn to one of these (like the Haighs are sworn to the Freys, who are sworn to the Tullys).

^^ Is Brown Ben Plumm an offspring of this son??

I don't know about Aerion Brightflame's son, but Brown Ben Plumm — if he actually has dragon's blood — would be descended from Ossifer Plumm and Elaena Targaryen (Elaena was Daeron I and Baelor I's sister, Aegon IV's cousin and Aegon III's daughter).

Archived