A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

But are they north of the Wall as well? I had assumed their area was limited to Skagos.

I think it's fair to assume that there might be some unicorns north of the wall. At least there were some unicorns at some point in time.

If you want to get technical the tip of Skagos is north of the wall so if there is still unicorns at the northern tip of Skagos then there's unicorns north of the wall.

At the end of the prologue in ADWD, does Thistle turn into an Other?

Edit: Well, I guess she could have turned into a Wight, also.

I'm asking because I want to know why she turned into a Wight (most likely), or an Other. What specific part of her death made that happen?

At the end of the prologue in ADWD, does Thistle turn into an Other?

Edit: Well, I guess she could have turned into a Wight, also.

I'm asking because I want to know why she turned into a Wight (most likely), or an Other. What specific part of her death made that happen?

Wight I'm pretty sure, I don't think humans can turn into Others. As far as we've been shown this has never happened.

We don't know the exact process of becoming a wight, but it involves corpses being revived by Others pretty much.

What is widely considered best 'spoken word' audio cd of the books? I have a possible long and boring business trip coming up and it seems the perfect listening accompaniment.

Thanks

Roy Dotrice's versions are pretty good. Although, he switches up his voices in the last two books which can be pretty frustrating. Littlefinger's voiced got changed HALFWAY though AFfC, now he sounds like Robert Baratheon.

Wouldn't Skagos be considered north of the Wall.

Is Skagos where Rickon is? I remember something about cannibalism on Skagos.

Not really. Skagos is kind of perpendicular to the Wall (east of Eastwatch), kind of like partial north, but I really doubt it forms a part of the "north of the Wall".

And yes, Skagos is popularly known as the isle of Unicorns and cannibals.

Wight I'm pretty sure, I don't think humans can turn into Others. As far as we've been shown this has never happened.

We don't know the exact process of becoming a wight, but it involves corpses being revived by Others pretty much.

They cannot. They can only turn into Wights, if they are reanimated/touched/killed/warged/whateveryouwanttocallit by the Others

They cannot. They can only turn into Wights, if they are reanimated/touched/killed/warged/whateveryouwanttocallit by the Others

So when was Thistle in contact with the Others? She clearly turns into a Wight during that prologue, but it seems like she only has contact with Varamyr. And there doesn't seem to be any Others nearby when it happens.

@frametown

You don´t need contact for warging. But I don´t think Wights are warged corpses, they seem to be raised corpses with some very limited memory. We don´t know wether WW were human once, but they look human.

We have touched this question many times through 9 heresy threads and still don´t know the answer. Here is most of what I know about Others, WW and Wights.

We have seen White Walkers at two occasions, the six that killed Waymar Royce and the one slayn by Sam. We have seen many Wights, Waymar rose instantly after being killed to kill Will, iIrc Small Paul also rose instantly after being killed, Othor and Jafer, who were found by Ghost, rose the night following the day they were found, the massive attack at the Fist of the First Men including aWight bear the dead horse Sam´s WW rode and the Wights chased away by Leaf, when Bran reached the Cave of the Singers. There are also reports of the wildlings being attacked by Wights and more..., this is what Tormund Giants Bane told Jon.

ETA: The WW are discribed as tall, gaunt armoured ice knights with longswords (no human metal went into forging them) sharper than a razor, shimmering blue. No hoods.

@frametown

You don´t need contact for warging. But I don´t think Wights are warged corpses, they seem to be raised corpses with some very limited memory. We don´t know wether WW were human once, but they look human.

We have touched this question many times through 9 heresy threads and still don´t know the answer. Here is most of what I know about Others, WW and Wights.

Thanks, Lykos.

I get the sense that Martin is trying to tell us something, at the end of that prologue, about how a dead human becomes a wight.

Varamyr, obviously a warg, tries to take over Thistle's body, but she rejects him somehow and he suffers his "true death." He then becomes one with all of nature, seemingly in a similar way that Bran can use the weirwood trees to see everywhere at once. Varamyr then sees wights near his old pack of wolves, and one of the wights is Thistle.

So after Thistle rejects Varamyr and he has his true death, something must have happened to make her a wight. She died of course. Maybe the other wights that Varamyr saw with her were the ones that killed her, and that's how she became one herself. Otherwise, her "wight-ening" was rather random.

A question: Are sweet beets different from sugar beets?

I have read somewhere that sugar beets are sweet only if it´s cold when they grow, but the volantene eat sweet beets, and it´s always hot in Volantis...

Also, does anybody have a clue aboud where does their sugar come from (sugar is mentioned at least once, in Dorne), sugar beets or sugarcane?

@Ser Lepus

I think they ship the sweet beets down the Rhoyne. I think they are similar to sugar beets , and there might also be sugarcane types, but I think it´s not mentioned.

Do you have a theory, involving sugar? Wondering about all the brown teeth, are you? Give us a quick hint.

I was wondering if you guys remembered any type of foreshadowing that suggested that Aegon was still alive because YG took me really by surprise. I know that all the proof that Robert and Ned had was the crushed baby skull that Gregor presented them but I think that just shows Kevan's/Gregor's brutality instead of foreshadowing that he isn't dead.

I was wondering if you guys remembered any type of foreshadowing that suggested that Aegon was still alive because YG took me really by surprise. I know that all the proof that Robert and Ned had was the crushed baby skull that Gregor presented them but I think that just shows Kevan's/Gregor's brutality instead of foreshadowing that he isn't dead.

Because of the manner the baby died, people speculated long before the last books that real or a fake Aegon will surface. So far things point to him being fake. Even a foreshadowing/prophecy when Daenerys was told she will have to face "a mummer's dragon". "Mummer's" most likely means "fake", but some people like to think that because Varys is/was literally a mummer, Young Griff still can be real Aegon.

I think the biggest thing was, Martin would only confirm that Rhaenys died. He didn't say anything one way or the other about Aegon. That doesn't mean that Young Griff is real, just that an "Aegon" was likely to pop up. I know that a lot of people were suspicious because the child's face was destroyed, and Varys talks to Ned in the black cells and mentions Rhaenys' death but not Aegon's. Combine all of that with the "mummer's dragon" and you can sort of see where people got the idea that Aegon — real or fake — might pop up after all.

Archived