help with some English please.

DirePenguin

When something 'agrees' with you it benefits, or improves things for you. In this instance Tyrion is giving an ironic compliment to Cersei, suggesting war has improved her looks.

This is Tyrion's description of Robert Arryn.

rheumy-eyed = waterly eyes? rheumy in this case is not about the nose?

and the "stuff cushion under their cheeks .. " Is he sitting on it to look higher? The cheeks mean butt in this case?

Tyrion Lannister had been looked down on all his life, but seldom by rheumy–eyed six-year-olds who needed to stuff fat cushions under their cheeks to lift them to the height of a man. “Is he the bad man?” the boy had asked, clutching his doll.

@DirePenguin

Yes rheumy-eyed means he has watery eyes but not from tears but because of a flue or some other sickness.

And yes cheeks means butt in this case and if I remember correctly, he sat on them to look more important.

He is preparing himself to be hit. Not raising your arms but probably stiffening his muscles, maybe shifting his position a little to protect himself by pushing against something

The "helpless".

Is it a message Tyrion was sending to Catelyn with his shrug? something like "hey I can't help you with that" ?

Or is it explaining the way he shrug that he himself is helpless?

Catelyn Stark took a step forward. “You are accused of sending a hired knife to slay my son Bran in his bed, and of conspiring to murder Lord Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King.”

Tyrion gave a helpless shrug. “Those crimes I cannot confess, I fear. I know nothing of any murders.”

The "helpless".

Is it a message Tyrion was sending to Catelyn with his shrug? something like "hey I can't help you with that" ?

Or is it explaining the way he shrug that he himself is helpless?

I think it means "innocent" but I think it also depends on the POV. Is this part written from Tyrion's POV, or Catelyn's? I don't remember.

Archived