Perhaps too much treachery and betrayal?

Pinn

Just finished book three.

When I reflect on it, I realize that almost all of Martin's major characters have met their demise through some form of treachery or betrayal. For me this has become so commonplace, that I am beginning to expect it.

Martin himself discussed the good/bad in each of us in a recent interview with the CBC saying "you can make a good decision one day, but a bad (or evil) one the next depending on the situation" (paraphrased). I am not so sure. During the middle ages cluniac knights modelled themselves after the self sacrifice embodied in the "Song of Roland", a song so omnipresent at the time that part of it was recited by a jongleur while juggling two swords before the hosts at the Battle of Hastings. I believe that is more human nature.

I am reminded of the quote by Mohandas Gandhi:

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Thoughts?

I wouldn't look to songs and poems if you want to understand how shit really went down in the Middle Ages. War has always been brutal and nasty - medieval sackings of cities for example were gruesome affairs. Even Japan's samurai were constantly betraying and plotting against each other, and we're quick to adopt guns as they're main weapon. But remember, the series isn't close to finished yet, and most of the bad guys (Joffrey, Tywin, Gregor, Balon, etc.) have met their demise. Of course there are more, but do you want a story with no conflict of surprises?

Which of those four deaths did you anticipate?

at most Gregor Clegane´s, but the other 3 were just out of the blew. if you indeed anticipated those deaths and how they went down then kudos dude, you should be a writer too.

Archived