Should Arya Have Kept Quiet? (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

When she saw Harwin and revealed herself to him?She knew him from Winterfell and his father was Hullen, Master of Horse at Winterfell. But still he was with men she did not know and in no position to keep her safe. It is not like he was with a host of Starks.

Also didn't Harwin fail in his duty to protect Arya at all costs out of loyalty to her father and House Stark? He could have escaped with her later and not agreed to treat her like a captive, which led her to escape and get caught by the Hound. She was so close to RR anyways, she should have kept quiet.

I share the same thoughts on that. If she didnt trust the northmen at Harrenhal she shouldnt have trusted the northmen at the inn, doesnt matter if she knew them or not, thats why she didnt reveal herself before so she should have zipped it knowing she was so close to her destination.

We need to remember Arya is still a child, she didn't reveal herself to the men at Harrenhall because they weren't her father's men.

Harwin was the first person she had seen since Kings Landing who she actually knew, and he was a Winterfell man. I think her excitement of seeing a familiar face and her naivete due to her age got the better of her.

We need to remember Arya is still a child, she didn't reveal herself to the men at Harrenhall because they weren't her father's men.

Harwin was the first person she had seen since Kings Landing who she actually knew, and he was a Winterfell man. I think her excitement of seeing a familiar face and her naivete due to her age got the better of her.

Also, Harwin probably would have recognized her in the end anyway. Frankly, I thought it was a natural reaction of her's to see one of her father's men and to expect help from him. And to bust into tears.

Frankly, I have a hard time believing a lot of the ages of these people. And, the TV series has ages that are more believable. Thinking that Dany is 13 when wedded to Drago.. and by the time of this book.. all the things she is doing?

Frankly, I have a hard time believing a lot of the ages of these people. And, the TV series has ages that are more believable. Thinking that Dany is 13 when wedded to Drago.. and by the time of this book.. all the things she is doing?

Remember that the series, although fantasy, is written to be in a Medieval style. Historically, in those times, girls did marry at the age of 13, or thereabouts. Also, it may be hard to believe the ages because you think about the situations that they are being put in, and there is no opportunity for immaturity or childish tendencies. Although, there are points where the younger characters arguably show their inexperience in life.

I.E. Dany in her "save the whole world" tendencies. Even though a lot of times she does act very mature, the fact that she's so easily distracted from her original goal, and the fact that she has an easy temper, and makes spontaneous decisions without thinking things completely through show.

The same goes for Arya and such.

These are children whose childhoods have been stripped from them, and they're dealing with their crazy world the best they can.

SummerGhostofNymeria, I agree with all that you said, however I also agree with Hookd that I like the TV ages better. It's much easier for me to grasp that Robb, Jon, and Dany are close to adulthood and Arya and Sansa are in their teens, given the choices they make. But I suppose it's also just easier to relate to people closer to your own age (I'm 29) than a child.

SummerGhostofNymeria, I agree with all that you said, however I also agree with Hookd that I like the TV ages better. It's much easier for me to grasp that Robb, Jon, and Dany are close to adulthood and Arya and Sansa are in their teens, given the choices they make. But I suppose it's also just easier to relate to people closer to your own age (I'm 29) than a child.

Yeah, I understand that, of course. I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense on the show, it absolutely does. It's just that I understand why the book is the way that it is. (I'm 26, so I get it) Granted, now when I read the books, all I ever see are the faces of those from the show. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing at all.

Archived