The Winds of Winter: Victarion I ?

MountainMan

I do like Victarion but he's still not really done anything important yet. This snippet suggests that's about to change, which is cool.

He's not clever and is surely going to be out smated by Euron at some point (even though I'd love Vic to get one up on him first). Victarion's got 'win the battle but lose the war' written all over him, but he is fun to read and this chapter and his arc sounds like it's going to an exciting place.

Actually, I take back my Early-Vic-death prediction. I want Victarion to stay alive just long enough for one HILARIOUS courting scene when Victarion realizes he can't just claim Dany by force, and tries to woo her. Then I want her to laugh while Drogon burns him to cinders. I will consider TWOW a success if this happens. I might even start liking Dany again.

What's with the Victarion hate? He's been the most active and badass Greyjoy so far. I want him to continue siezing ships, smashing hopes, and turning bodies of water to blood, but he seems to have almost as bad a reputation on this board as Darkstar.

Which reminds me: why do we have so many Greyjoy povs (more than any other house except Stark)?

Knowing that Vic isn't as clever as he, I'm sure Euron has an ace or two up his sleeve, and that giving the Horn to Vic is simply part of his grand scheme to bind the dragons--and Dany--to him and not Vic. I wouldn't put it past Euron to sacrifice his brother to further his own ends. As long as he's alive, Vic is a threat.

Thank you for the update! I enjoy reading the Victarion chapters (the rationalizations, the insanity, the monkeys, etc.), so this was a fun teaser to see posted! They are like watching the victim in a horror movie decide to fearlessly wander into the basement to discover why the lights suddenly went out. I was curious if Victarion would attack before he realized Dany was not in the city, or attack and make a play for the dragons once he knew she was gone. This hints at the former (and claiming a bride still being at the top of his to do list).

Moqorro tells Victorian the dragons will come to the owner of the horn so it doesn't matter who blows it (no mortal man may sound the horn and live), ....

I can't wait to see what happens to those who blow the horn and if it has any effect on the dragons.

This will definitely be interesting! I still think the "no mortal man" portion hints at someone undead blowing the horn and succeeding, which could still tease Euron (maybe he is now, who knows) or eventually Victarion. Things point to Victarion needing to succeed to a certain degree for Euron's face-value plan to work (otherwise, you just have a dead brother, tons of lost ships and dragons no closer to Westeros). Of course, this could just be a plot device to get Dany her ships.

Agreed, great update. It's interesting to see what George had to pull back from ADwD. Not surprisingly... it seems to be the part with the, you know, actual dragons. I wonder if Vic gets Rhaegal/Viserion and they have to fight Drogon when Dany rides back? Given the mythos behind the historical "Dance with Dragons," this seems possible. But what a bummer to happen at the beginning of this book and not in the one with the proper title...

Vic and Moqqoro are playing the poor thralls big time. No way are they getting lands and wives and gold just for blowing this horn, and double no way would Vic normally spend any time persuading slaves to do his bidding instead of just ordering/torturing them. Vic and Moq need to claim the horn through blood, and these dudes are sacrifices waiting to happen.

I also love the above-mentioned Dusky Woman/Faceless Man idea, though I think a faceless man would be a cooler customer than to tip his hand by hissing at Moqorro when he first shows up...

What's with the Victarion hate? He's been the most active and badass Greyjoy so far. I want him to continue siezing ships, smashing hopes, and turning bodies of water to blood, but he seems to have almost as bad a reputation on this board as Darkstar.

Which reminds me: why do we have so many Greyjoy povs (more than any other house except Stark)?

I agree with this. Victarion Greyjoy, top 5 favorite characters. I know there are alot of POVs, but I do expect Theon and Victarion to die in the next book, so....yea, only Asha will be left

I think everyone gives Euron too much credit. He simpky asked his brother to do it because he knows that Victarion will always 'obey'. He didnt expect a red priest to wash up to there boat and give him pointers. If the point was for Victarion to retrieve Dany and her dragons then what would be the need to Euron to betray Victarion? He doesnt have to worry about be killed by victarion because he knows vicky doesnt want to be a kinslayer and despite what he thinks Victarion is a great commander, killing him would be counter productive. If he truly believed that Victarion would try to screw him over and blow the horn then why send him in the first place? Just to get rid of him? That makes no sense, he could've killed him eons ago, so could they dusky woman.

Euron is an idiot, hes just slightly smarter then vicky.

Martin used so many Ironborn POVs to show us that the only one that deserves our hatred is Crow's Eye. The others are capable of hurting the shore and ever conquer something, but the only danger for the realm is Euron, and as all the others hate him = we like them

Martin used so many Ironborn POVs to show us that the only one that deserves our hatred is Crow's Eye. The others are capable of hurting the shore and ever conquer something, but the only danger for the realm is Euron, and as all the others hate him = we like them

Well, funny since my favorite Iron-born is Euron. ^^

I think everyone gives Euron too much credit.

I personally belives he is the most dangerous man of Westeros actually.

Like the Starks, I'm a slow thinker...

I just realised that one of the key points of GRR Martin's infamous Meereenese knot could well be that he needed the dragons to be split for Victarion's arrival, so that Dany would still have full control over Drogon while the Ironman tried to get his hands on the others.

All this, of course, assuming that the Horn works. I've had my doubts for a long time, but I would think Moqorro knows what he's talking about.

As someone else said, though, it doesn't make any sense for Moqorro - who was sent to help Dany, and whose religious order in Volantis is definitely on Dany's side - would want to help Victarion steal dragons from Dany. He's probably there both to make sure that the sieging fleets are destroyed and that te dragons are safe from Euron and Victarion.

I'm still of the opinion that Victarion is dead already. He died in his cabin! It's the only POV that leaves the perspective of a the person whose POV it is. While Moqorro is "fixing" him, the narrative goes outside his cabin and identifies people in the hallway.

GRRM never, ever wrote something like that.

I think he might be revealed to be dead at some point, and will blow the horn himself, and it won't kill him.

He's bland and boring to me, actually. Khal Drogo preceded him to take the spot of Obligatory Skull-Smashing Barbarian Character and despite having hardly any lines and no POV chapters of his own, Khal Drogo comes off as more complex than Victarion. That's how flat Victarion is. We've got too many Greyjoys considering they aren't actually running shit, they're all over the top and one-dimensional except for Asha and Theon, who are the only Greyjoys who should matter.

I really don't know why there are so many Greyjoy POVs, but I suspect that since AFFC, GRRM has begun to lose the plot a bit.

VICTARION! FUCK YEAH! COMING ALONG TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING DAY YEAH!

I love me some Vic, he's my favourite character in ADWD. He only gets two chapters but they are both gold.

I'm still of the opinion that Victarion is dead already. He died in his cabin! It's the only POV that leaves the perspective of a the person whose POV it is. While Moqorro is "fixing" him, the narrative goes outside his cabin and identifies people in the hallway.

GRRM never, ever wrote something like that.

I think he might be revealed to be dead at some point, and will blow the horn himself, and it won't kill him.

That's something I too have wondered. Also his POV going from names like "The Iron Captain" and "The Reaver" to simply "Victarion", what's up with that?

I think he died and was reanimated, Beric style. Moqorro is a Red Priest like Thoros so it seems plausible. But I don't know if Vic knows or why his arm is all burnt up and stuff.

Actually, I take back my Early-Vic-death prediction. I want Victarion to stay alive just long enough for one HILARIOUS courting scene when Victarion realizes he can't just claim Dany by force, and tries to woo her. Then I want her to laugh while Drogon burns him to cinders. I will consider TWOW a success if this happens. I might even start liking Dany again.

And here I figure it will go the opposite. He'll go "We do not Sow" and she'll go "Dragons don't plant" and they'll kiss and kill some thralls and set some stuff on fire. Victarion fits right in with the whole "fire and blood" and "dragons are for conquering" epiphany she had on Dragonstone.

As someone else said, though, it doesn't make any sense for Moqorro - who was sent to help Dany, and whose religious order in Volantis is definitely on Dany's side - would want to help Victarion steal dragons from Dany. He's probably there both to make sure that the sieging fleets are destroyed and that te dragons are safe from Euron and Victarion.

It seems pretty possible to me that Moqorro is only helping Victarion because he knows that he won't have a chance to harm Dany. And when he says "Every night in my fires I glimpse the glory that awaits you," I think there's a decent chance the glory he sees isn't the sort that would make Victarion too happy to hear about...

Two comments:

- The safest solution would be to have an undead woman blow the horn. Where is UnCat when you need her?

- Victarion's naivity makes me believe he's a hidden Stark. Why not? With all the hidden Targaryens around ...

So hey, crack question. Dany blows the Horn because she thinks she's a dragon and no mere mortal woman, and has demonstrated inability to control her dragons. Ends up with immolated internal organs. Awesome? [Y/N]

Archived