NFL 22: Free Agency part deux

Mexal

Free Agency is always a tough time of the year for me. The Bengals are never involved and honestly, that's fine given that everyone signed on day 1 or 2 of FA is massively overpriced. However, they never get any talent to fill any holes and if you're not going to be part of FA, then you need to sign your own and we didn't even manage to do that. Talk about depressing

Jaime L, from previous thread:

Redskins get Eddie Royal too. Honestly, I'm not sure what we're doing. How we gonna find time for Garcon, Moss, Gaffney, Morgan, Royal and Hankerson? Especially as the first five are all pretty much the exact same guy. Is really the best way to maximize RGIII's unique skillset to give him his choice of five different possession receivers on each play? Really? Maybe we can confuse our opponents by making them forget which 5'11" guy they were supposed to be covering.

There were reports on WaPo that we signed Eddie Royal, but those were retracted, so it isn't clear we are getting him. In addition, I don't necessarily think that Garcon/Morgan are the same as Moss/Gaffney. Both the former are younger guys who are pretty good after the catch and can stretch the field with speed. Moss/Gaffney have both lost some speed and were terrible after the catch last year. I think that the plan is to get rid of one or both of them this year, particularly if we get Royal too. And we're all hoping Hankerson gets healthy, because he has the size the rest of our receivers totally lack.

The local sports radio in Chicago was running down Brandon Marshall's police blotter this morning. That guy gets arrested a lot. Not sure a town like Chicago is going to curb his enthusiasm for nightlife altercations, illegal lane changes without having a license or insurance handy, and domestic disputes.

Maybe he should move into Cutler's guest room for the season to keep him out of trouble.

Edit to remove redundancy.

The Bears got Brandon Marshall baby!!!!! Now go get Mario Williams.

So far the Cutler/Marshall combo is 15-17 together, and that includes the Hochali Bowl. Maybe it will get better, but Cutler got so zoned in on Marshall in the past that no one else mattered.

The local sports radio in Chicago was running down Brandon Marshall's police blotter this morning. That guy gets arrested a lot. Not sure a town like Chicago is going to curb his enthusiasm for nightlife altercations, illegal lane changes without having a license or insurance handy, and domestic disputes.

Maybe he should move into Cutler's guest room for the season to keep him out of trouble.

Edit to remove redundancy.

There were also a few that got dropped, including not allowing his then GF to leave the driveway by blocking her in.

There were also a few that got dropped, including not allowing his then GF to leave the driveway by blocking her in.

Dropped or not, it's a disturbing trend to just be in situations that lead to police intervention, or even false accusations, of any kind on multiple occassions. The Bears don't need another Tank Johnson.

Dear Jay Cutler: You wanted Marshall, so it's your job to keep him out of the River North nightclubs.

The alleged victim claims Marshall punched her in the face in the midst of a bar fight, Marshall claims he was protecting his wife who had been hit in the face with a beer bottle. I'm waiting to hear some eye-witness reports.

No charges have been filed, however, so what can Goodell do? He'd have to start disciplining everyone who is merely accused of something. I get that Marshall has a record, but without charges what can Goodell really do?

Regardless, hopefully Urlacher, Peppers and Cutler can help settle him down.

The prices for these FA are ridiculous. Carl Nicks got 10 mil a year + 31 mil guaranteed. He's an amazing guard but holy fuck is that a lot of money for a guard. Eric Wright, a 4th tier CB just got over 7 mil a year. Finnegan got 10 mil. Even Meachem, a guy who never had more than 750 yards got almost 7 mil a year.

Bucs sign Carl Nicks for 47 million over five years. I'm sure Josh Freeman is happy about having VJax and Nicks in the huddle next year. I thought Nicks would command more than that, but what do I know?

Really? He's a guard. They're massively undervalued. Getting almost 10 mil a year plus $31 mil guaranteed is a massive haul. He's the highest paid guard in the league.

Really? He's a guard. They're massively undervalued. Getting almost 10 mil a year plus $31 mil guaranteed is a massive haul. He's the highest paid guard in the league.

I guess I don't know too much about overall guard prices, but Nicks is probably the best guard in the league, so I would expect to be paying premium money to land him in free agency. I suppose WRs and CBs just command a lot more money than guards.

Some people have speculated that part of the reason Brees is able to succeed despite being one of the shortest qbs in the league is because of the strength of the Saints interior line preventing push from the middle and opening up lanes. This might really hurt them going forward.

Here's a statement from Marshall's attorney:

”On March 12, 2012 Brandon Marshall was the key note speaker at a charitable event in New York. After the event was over he, his wife and close friends attended a function at a local club.

While at the function a fight broke out NOT involving Mr. Marshall or his friends. While attempting to leave to avoid the melee Mrs. Marshall was struck in the face by a thrown bottle. She suffered serious injury.

While attempting to leave and take his wife to the hospital, the mayhem continued outside. Finally Mr. Marshall was able to take his wife to the hospital where she was treated for serious injuries.

Mr. Marshall is hoping to assist authorities in regards to this matter.”

Seems like this would be fairly easy to prove or disprove.

I'll also add that if someone hit my wife in the face with a beer bottle - woman or man - they're getting slugged right in their stupid face.

Also also, Bears sign WR/KR Eric Weems. Seems like further proof that Knox won't be ready to go.

I guess I don't know too much about overall guard prices, but Nicks is probably the best guard in the league, so I would expect to be paying premium money to land him in free agency. I suppose WRs and CBs just command a lot more money than guards.

Some people have speculated that part of the reason Brees is able to succeed despite being one of the shortest qbs in the league is because of the strength of the Saints interior line preventing push from the middle and opening up lanes. This might really hurt them going forward.

I'm sure it absolutely helped and yes, Nicks is the best guard in the country. Just saying it's a lot of money for a non premium position, that's all.

Nicks made it clear he wanted to be the highest paid guard in the NFL, which is why I hoped the Bears would pass on him. It would be great to have him, sure, but I prefer someone who wants to win first, not who wants a team to bow down to him and proclaim him the greatest and make him filthy rich first.

There were reports on WaPo that we signed Eddie Royal, but those were retracted, so it isn't clear we are getting him. In addition, I don't necessarily think that Garcon/Morgan are the same as Moss/Gaffney. Both the former are younger guys who are pretty good after the catch and can stretch the field with speed. Moss/Gaffney have both lost some speed and were terrible after the catch last year. I think that the plan is to get rid of one or both of them this year, particularly if we get Royal too. And we're all hoping Hankerson gets healthy, because he has the size the rest of our receivers totally lack.

It's true they are younger and Garcon especially has that YAC component to his game. Just think we way overpaid on him unless he develops into a star. He had nice numbers last year with some of the worst QBing in football so there's hope he continues to develop as he hits his prime. He's got to improve that catch rate however.

Anyway, I hope we don't sign Royal because if he had more to his game I think he would've shown it in the late McDaniels years when Brandon Lloyd miraculously turned into a star. And if it's anything near the 2 years/12 million reported, pass. But he's getting the Danny Snyder Morton's Steakhouse treatment so I bet he signs.

And even though he's lost the speed that made him special, I'd be sad to see Santana cut as he carried us through some incredibly lean years in the passing game. Without him we almost certainly have 0 playoff appearances since 2000 instead of 2. But in the NFL all it takes is one bad season past 30 and you're gone.

And even though he's lost the speed that made him special, I'd be sad to see Santana cut as he carried us through some incredibly lean years in the passing game. Without him we almost certainly have 0 playoff appearances since 2000 instead of 2. But in the NFL all it takes is one bad season past 30 and you're gone.

I agree 100% with your post. Garcon is getting paid #1 WR money and we are just hoping he grows into that spot. If so, it's worth it.

It would indeed be a shame to lose Santana, he's always been productive for us. But it happens to everybody in the NFL except London Fletcher, and it might be time. I would prefer getting rid of Gaffney personally, becuase they are similar and I think Moss is better when healthy. Regardless, I think that Morgan + Garcon ought to be enough WR free agents given our other needs on O line and the secondary. It's possible Royal got a bit concerned about whether there's a place for him given the number of WRs we'd already signed. We'll see.

I keep waiting for rumors/reports that the Skins are looking for positions other than WR. Our needs at safety, LG and RT are pretty serious.

But it happens to everybody in the NFL except London Fletcher,

:lol:

Our needs at safety, LG and RT are pretty serious.

Apparently Brandon Meriweather was in town but that's not promising to me. Can only think the Pats and the Bears gave up on the guy for a reason. WaPo was thinking the Skins would go with Meriweather and Doughty at safety which is just depressing to read in print.

Agree on the OL needs. Would love to see us target Ben Grubbs at guard and/or Levi Brown at tackle but not sure we have the cap space for eihter. Probably will find some cheaper options as the team prays Lichtensteiger and Jamaal Brown stay healthy has starters but lack of line continuity is just killer and I wish we had a more solid option. Especially in the case of Jamaal Brown.

Apparently Brandon Meriweather was in town but that's not promising to me. Can only think the Pats and the Bears gave up on the guy for a reason. WaPo was thinking the Skins would go with Meriweather and Doughty at safety which is just depressing to read in print.

I saw something indicating the Jets were interested in Meriweather too. Which would make me laugh my ass off. I think the Jets are the perfect team for the Swole.

I saw something indicating the Jets were interested in Meriweather too. Which would make me laugh my ass off. I think the Jets are the perfect team for the Swole.

Well Rex Ryan did turn Aaron Maybin into a productive and effective defensive player, so maybe he could manage something here too. Rex may ignore his offense and let it all fall to hell, but he does try on the other side of the ball.

Archived