Magnar of Thenn & wildings at Queenscrown - question

Murder of Crows

Could someone please explain to me that after scaling the wall why does Jon along with Magnar Then (i think thats who it is) and 150 wildings go to Queenscrown, from which they hope to open the gate at Castle Black?

Looking at the map Queenscrown is a fair bit south (its in the new gift) and I wonder why they go so far south as The Nights Watch never look south, only north. And it seems along way to go only to have to go back to the wall.

if someone could explain this I would be really gratefull.

I think they were just erring on the side of caution. Any other path would have taken them much nearer the wall, were the possibility of being sighted was much greater. Also, it mentions that Mance Rayder was leading the Black Brothers on several wild-goose hunts in an attempt to spread their forces as thinly as possible. Taking the longer route may have been an attempt at buying more time for them to accomplish that goal.

In my opinion they also did this to avoid being detected by the Nights Watch. Didn't think they were chasing the old man but just stumbled upon him and for him its just beeing in the wrong place at the wrong time becouse they have to kill him becouse otherwise he is too big a threat. Also if they approach from the south its an ellement of surprise and as said before, staying out of sight of the wall is probably just a big precaution thing becouse the thing they want to achieve is so important.

• 1 year later...

Since their group was the first to scale the wall ahead of the main wilding host, I'm assuming they had to keep out of sight until the plan started to unfold. Mance wanted to spread the watch thing along the wall so as to make the rear assault on Castle Black a complete slaughter. It could be that they were looking to set up camp in a remote part of the new gift until it was time to move out.

Archived