A Feast for Crows-Chapter 41 Alayne/Sansa III

GearedUp

A couple of questions from this chapter. I have not read past this yet since I had a few questions that bothered me. Please do not include an spoilers from beyond AFFC!

1) "What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear." - Littlefinger

Okay, this may be a stupid question but I can think of 2 queens of considerable note in the land of Westeros at this current time: Cersei & Margaery.

However, who is the 3rd? Jeyne Westerling was stuck in the seiged Riverrun with little to no power after Robb was killed at the Red Wedding. Stannis' wife was left on Dragonstone; she doesn't seem to hold any influence beyond the island. Balon Greyjoy was a widower and his brother Euron, I can't recall if he had a wife of any note..

Am I to take this as Littlefinger being more aware than just his surroundings, which I wouldn't be surprised given that he seems to be one of the most conniving and controlling players in the GoT? Does he know about the Khalessi, Queen Dany?

Or is he inferring some knowledge about Melisandre, of whom it seems rules as Stannis' Queen or almost through Stannis by proxy?

Or does he speak about his plans for Sansa as "queen"?

What are your thoughts?

2) "that Riverrun had yielded, but not Dragonstone or Storm's End." - Myranda Royce to Sansa/Alayne

Now this may just be a weird thing noted with GRRM's timeline, but this statement irked me. We know in previous chapters through Cersei that Dragonstone had been taken quickly by Loras. But this is the first we have heard about Riverrun's fall since we left Jamie giving terms to Edmure Tully.

Is the Vale just oblivious to Dragonstone's fall? Is this "Rhanda" as conniving as Littlefinger and only lets you know what she wants you to know? Or is it just a slip by GRRM and editors?

3) Ser Shadrich, hedge knight, makes an appearance in the Vale.

The same Ser Shadrich, hedge knight, shows up earlier in Brienne's chapter, also looking for Sansa Stark. Well actually he's looking for the reward for Sansa's return offered by Varys, I believe. Hmmm. Now he's in the same room as Alayne, but does he know who Sansa is?

1. The three queens are Dany, Cersei, Margaery.

2. They haven't gotten the news yet.

3. He seems like a guy who's done his homework and knows a bit about the major people in the Vale. I'd think he's probably a bit suspicious then.

1. The three queens are Dany, Cersei, Margaery.

2. They haven't gotten the news yet.

3. He seems like a guy who's done his homework and knows a bit about the major people in the Vale. I'd think he's probably a bit suspicious then.

I am not sure about Cersei being added to that list. She has been making some very rash and foolish decisions recently. I think that Sansa will be one of the queens instead.

Sansa is to marry Harry the heir, giving her ownership of the Vale, and since she is believed to be the next Stark in line, she will inheirit the North. Littlefinger would not let an opportunity to seize this much power slip in my opinion.

I am not sure about Cersei being added to that list. She has been making some very rash and foolish decisions recently. I think that Sansa will be one of the queens instead.

Sansa is to marry Harry the heir, giving her ownership of the Vale, and since she is believed to be the next Stark in line, she will inheirit the North. Littlefinger would not let an opportunity to seize this much power slip in my opinion.

It's not like it's a prophecy, it's just a remark about current affairs. I don't thin Sansa is one of the three queens and if she is, Cersei certainly is as well. As for the 3rd, it could be the queen of thornes, or LF could know more than he lets on and he's talking about Dany.

About dragonstone, isn't there a theory going round that the news of Dragonstone's fall and Loras' injury is just a lie to placate Cersei and in actuality Loras has taken the Redwyne fleet to fight the ironborn.

It's not like it's a prophecy, it's just a remark about current affairs. I don't thin Sansa is one of the three queens and if she is, Cersei certainly is as well. As for the 3rd, it could be the queen of thornes, or LF could know more than he lets on and he's talking about Dany.

About dragonstone, isn't there a theory going round that the news of Dragonstone's fall and Loras' injury is just a lie to placate Cersei and in actuality Loras has taken the Redwyne fleet to fight the ironborn.

I had taken the 3 queens as being:

1.Cersei

2. Margaery

3. Queen of Thorns

But could definitely be wrong.

As far as the fall of Dragonstone:

Initially I had just taken it as showing how poorly news travels in Westeros (No news papers, phones, Internet, etc. to ensure that things are accurate).

The idea that Dragonstone did not fall is one I hadn't thought of but is certainly a good one, since quite often when people who were not at the actual event reference it they seem to get facts wrong (usually about arbitrary things but still ya never know).

That's what I'm leaning towards.

About Dragonstone, isn't there a theory going round that the news of Dragonstone's fall and Loras' injury is just a lie to placate Cersei and in actuality Loras has taken the Redwyne fleet to fight the ironborn.

As far as the fall of Dragonstone:

Initially I had just taken it as showing how poorly news travels in Westeros (No news papers, phones, Internet, etc. to ensure that things are accurate).

The idea that Dragonstone did not fall is one I hadn't thought of but is certainly a good one, since quite often when people who were not at the actual event reference it they seem to get facts wrong (usually about arbitrary things but still ya never know).

It would seem to make sense since we are not given any insider view upon Dragonstone since the Onion Knight persuaded Stannis to leave for the North. Through Cersei's later chapter and from LF & QoTin aSOS we definitely find out that Margaery & the Tyrells are not meek & vapid, as much as Cersei may believe it. I'm trying to think about any other clues that suggest Loras and the Redwyne fleet have set sail for the Arbor.

Thanks for the response. I guess I wasn't alone in wondering aloud about this chapter.

He's definitely talking about Dany. He mentions the Merling King returning to Gulltown with some interesting news. Probably the same interesting news that all the other port cities have been receiving - news of Dany and her dragons.

No. Myrcella is not a queen - that little plot failed.

I think the timing is too close for it to not be plausible... If LF had any idea of the intention to crown Myrcella, it's possible he made the comment referencing Myrcella without knowing that the plot had failed yet. I'm sticking with it. ;)

That said, I am on the second to last chapter of AFFC... I have to imagine that if LF considered Danaerys as a viable queen, that he wouldn't be busying himself with setting up his domestic lordship, that he would be scheming towards making himself attractive (as a councilor or otherwise) to the Dragon Queen.

Archived