Finished SoS.........What is Littlefinger grooming Sansa for?

Freefolk

Also, Cat is not the type to think about what she has to gain. Again and again she shows that she's ruled by emotion. See: her attitude toward Jon Snow, her accusation of Tyrion, her release of Jaime. Think of a man, take away reason and accountability. Don't mistake her for a "good guy" just because she's Ned's wife.

She is actually his real daughter. Catelyn wanted to get back at Ned for Jon Snow and Littlefinger was convenient. You may think this is crazy but go back to book 1 and read Carelyn's conversation with Littlefinger in chapter 18. Specifically about what Varys knows (everything).

Do you think he is that perverted? He kissed Sansa and clearly wants to do more than that with her, if you know what I mean. I don't think he would do that to his own daughter.

• 3 weeks later...

My impression, just having finished SoS, is that Littlefinger arranged to have Joffery poisoned and have it look like Sansa/Tyrion's doing, so that he could rescue Sansa and then send her back to King's Landing later. LF is ambitous, devious, self-serving, (and a lech), and it would serve him more to align himself with the Lannisters. At this point he knows that Winterfell has been burned, and that Robb and Catelyn are dead, so he wouldn't gain much by aligning himself with the North. While he does lust after Sansa, I think he'll be more than willing to give her up for his personal gain. He's just amusing himself with the possibility that he might end up seducing her before giving her up.

As far as him mentoring Sansa, I think it's only to make himself seem like a convincing savior to her. However, Sansa has evolved past the point of being completely naive. I think LF is the first character that affords her the opportunity to mistrust, from the very beginning, someone who seems like a kind person who's only trying to help her. She'll take what she learns from her enemies and will use it against them. She will become a player in the game, and LF will be the first piece that she will dispose of. The dwarf woman at high heart forsees this in one of the Arya chapters...she sees Sansa "slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow." So I wonder if giant = Littlefinger or someone else?

• 1 year later...

I think that Littlefinger has been grooming Sansa for becoming his wife from the very beginning - the tourney of the Hand. At first, it seemed as the perfect revenge to Cat for not loving him enough. However, during book 4, the Westeros geopolitical situation allows Littlefinger to win 3 out of 7 kingdoms through Sansa. She is the heir to Winterfell, potential heir to Casterly Rock through her marriage with Tyrion, potential heir to the Vale through her arranged second marriage. Littlefinger is a patient man. I am sure he plotted the murder of king Joffrey with the Tyrells in order to frame Tyrion. He did not care about murdering the king per se. Tyrion survived, which is now delaying his plans to marry Sansa off to the heir of the Vale. Once he achieved that, he would find a way to murder the heir. In that case Sansa'd become the Lady of Winterfell, Casterly Rock and the Vale. If he was to marry her, and let's not forget he is the Lord of the Riverrun at the moment, he would control 4 kingdoms and 4 armies. Then, he would accuse the Tyrells of regicide, start a war with them with Lannisters on his side, thus gaining Highgarden. He probably has a longterm plan for Dorne. As for the Storms End, he believes Lannisters and Tyrells will defeat Stanis first. So, that would be his clever game. He said himself that he wants the Iron Throne and that he had learned from the duel with Brandon Stark that he cannot win by force, but by "fucking them". However, Tyrion is not dead and Sansa cannot wed again yet. Also, he is falling in love with her and that, I believe, will be his downfall. Sansa is his pupil and protégée who, in time, might outplay her teacher and protector. Or she might fall in love with him and make him go through a transformation worthy of Jamie Lannister. Or both. He may yet die redeemed and betrayed.

This is spoilers from Feast and Dance: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/99141-bad-news-baelish-or-purple-wedding-20/

Littlefinger is somewhat opaque with his longterm plans, probably because he doesn't have any. He is an opportunist. He saw an opportunity to kidnap the known heir to the North and in the running for the Riverlands, and did so. However, Baelish told Sansa that he is helping her for the love he bore her mother. This is the exact same line he told Eddard. Littlefinger tells people he is on their side, and typically proceeds to kill them when they are a risk or are no longer useful.

I'd wager Sansa is no exception, especially considering what she knows of Littlefinger.

I think that Littlefinger has been grooming Sansa for becoming his wife from the very beginning - the tourney of the Hand. At first, it seemed as the perfect revenge to Cat for not loving him enough. However, during book 4, the Westeros geopolitical situation allows Littlefinger to win 3 out of 7 kingdoms through Sansa. She is the heir to Winterfell, potential heir to Casterly Rock through her marriage with Tyrion, potential heir to the Vale through her arranged second marriage. Littlefinger is a patient man. I am sure he plotted the murder of king Joffrey with the Tyrells in order to frame Tyrion. He did not care about murdering the king per se. Tyrion survived, which is now delaying his plans to marry Sansa off to the heir of the Vale. Once he achieved that, he would find a way to murder the heir. In that case Sansa'd become the Lady of Winterfell, Casterly Rock and the Vale. If he was to marry her, and let's not forget he is the Lord of the Riverrun at the moment, he would control 4 kingdoms and 4 armies. Then, he would accuse the Tyrells of regicide, start a war with them with Lannisters on his side, thus gaining Highgarden. He probably has a longterm plan for Dorne. As for the Storms End, he believes Lannisters and Tyrells will defeat Stanis first. So, that would be his clever game. He said himself that he wants the Iron Throne and that he had learned from the duel with Brandon Stark that he cannot win by force, but by "fucking them". However, Tyrion is not dead and Sansa cannot wed again yet. Also, he is falling in love with her and that, I believe, will be his downfall. Sansa is his pupil and protégée who, in time, might outplay her teacher and protector. Or she might fall in love with him and make him go through a transformation worthy of Jamie Lannister. Or both. He may yet die redeemed and betrayed.

The former - likely to happen.

The latter - not in a million years. Her falling in love with him - not gonna happen, LF being redeemed - not gonna happen. Those two things look about as likely the White Walkers deciding that they would like to find a nice beach in Dorne and get a tan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you think he is that perverted? He kissed Sansa and clearly wants to do more than that with her, if you know what I mean. I don't think he would do that to his own daughter.

There are already so many disturbing dynamics to their relationship, that I wouldn't be surprised if this came true...if not for the fact that Sansa had a Direwolf. In Westeros this is as good as a trip to the Maury Povich show to confirm he is NOT the father.

Petyr/Sansa is rife with incest and predatory themes. LF constantly tells Sansa that her mother was a sister to him, pretends that Sansa's his daughter and claims she could have been, then gives her the alias Alayne which happens to be his own mother's name. This is all of course "their little secret."

As for his big plan? As others have stated, it appears he wants to sit on the Iron Throne and fuck the Seven Kingdoms, just as he wants Sansa to sit on and fuck...well you get the idea. But he should set his expectatios low, and think small. He's bound to underperform,

• 2 weeks later...

Littlefinger loved Catelyn , probably because of his failed romance with her he was driven to darkness and scheming behind the scenes. Also I was sure at some point that Sansa will become Queen. Petyr has already taken over 2 places (Harrenhall if i recall corectly and now the Eyri itself!) and I'm sure he has his eye on the throne , he deserves it in my opinion...! And I'm sure he somehow will rule it! We'll see if i'm correct with this theory. The point is , I'm sure he has a plan of marrying Sansa somehow , i don't believe it's his daughter no no it can't be , she's just a micrography of her mother in my opinnion.

She is actually his real daughter. Catelyn wanted to get back at Ned for Jon Snow and Littlefinger was convenient. You may think this is crazy but go back to book 1 and read Carelyn's conversation with Littlefinger in chapter 18. Specifically about what Varys knows (everything).

Very interesting, it made me go "mmmm" out loud. Think about how different Sansa and Arrya are both physically and characteristically....

Archived