Favorite Book

1. Dance with dragons...Nothing can be compared to " The North remembers, lord Davos"...

2. Feast for Crows...Cersei`s stupidity, Sansa`s transformation into Alayne, Martells

3. Storm of swords...Red wedding, I`ll never forgive GRRM for that...but then he redeemed himself with PW

ASOS.. and then I cant decide between the rest..

the second half of ASOS was nothing but awesome almost every chapter.

dracarys, tickler, red wedding, joff wedding, battle of the wall, barristan, tywin, gregor vs oberyn, lysa & LF, unCat...

by comparison, the other books didnt have as many epic moments.. Dance had a good start and end but the middle was quite dry (maybe ill enjoy it more on my re-read since I probably missed a lot of stuff). ACOK Tyrion and Blackwater/HotU were great.. AFFC: I loved the start cause it dealt with the aftermath, and I loved everything to do with the Martells cause well they are awesome..

AGOT I read after the show, so I was really enjoying how well they did S1 of the show but I knew what happened..

I'd have to tie the first four.......but ADWD......whereas I sped thru the first 4 books quite eagerly, I had to drag myself thru ADWD. Took me weeks to get thru it. I simply didn't care. Way too much Dany (I kept thinking "For God's sake move along or just die!"). The whole Tyrion POV hooking up with Penny and all that followed......boring and it just didn't seem to fit. Again, I was reading it thinking "Yeah yeah yeah. Don't care. Move along."

ASOS is just incredible to me from start to finish, and not just because there's a great deal of action. There's also a ton of great history and lore, plenty of touching/evocative moments, and the story is told beautifully from all POVs. No filler whatsoever. This was (and likely will remain) GRRM's high water mark.

After that, I'd say...

AGOT - Loved how tight and fast paced the story was, did a great job of introducing the important characters and never getting bogged down.

ACOK - A unique book that took a lot of risks, most of which paid off. Some fun new characters and storylines, and several of the best chapters in the series.

ADWD - A great book that could have been magnificent, but most of Dany and Tyrion's chapters were just meh for me. Also, the plot moved at a plodding pace. For a book of such enormous size, there were times when character arcs seemed stagnant.

AFFC - Not a bad book by any means, definitely gets better for me with each subsequent reread. Just not as strong all around as the other books. Has some great individual chapters (Jaime, Cersei, Arya, the Dornish stuff) but often feels bloated. GRRM's filler might be better than 90% of what other authors in the genre write, but it's still filler.

A Storm of Swords first and foremost- How can I not? This is the only book that made me cry bitter tears throughout, some of the most beautiful writing, TONS of character growth and development, and some wonderful new POVS. It was just perfect IMHO.

A Game of Thrones- I mean come on. First book of an amazing series. Loved it.

A Feast of Crows - I loved it, I don't care what people say. A good read after the Storm of Swords rollercoaster. I loved the new POVS SO Much....except Hotah and Damphair.

A DwD- Theons chapters saved this for me...the other ones were ehhhh I did not like Danys chapters nor did I find Tyrions as amazing as I wanted them to be, and Quentyn was UGH

A CoK- Sorry.....I just didn't connect as well to it, mayhaps because my favorite characters have more plot from the third book onwards

I loved the new POVS SO Much....except Hotah and Damphair.

Damphair gets a lot of hate but I rather enjoyed peering into the inner dialogue of a single-minded fanatic. I find religious zealotry bordering on madness to be a fascinating concept so that may have something to do with it. The last couple of re-reads I've done this uber nerd thing where I read his chapters out loud in a doomsday prophet voice...it really adds to the experience. :D

Archived