Favorite Book

I am a little bias against the first two books as i started the series after i finished season two of HBO's adaptation, the books are way better though

1: ASOS: SOOOO EPIC every character was a joy to read about, especially the introduction of Jamie

2: ADWD: Started a little slow but has really left a massive cliffhanger and start for TWOW

3: AGOT: every pov was great, just a less epic version of ASOS

4: AFFC: so informative and interesting with some good snipets of great action

5: ACOK: great read tyrion's high point in the series for me, however least best of the books imo

So far - ASoS. So much going on, both mentally and story progression. Samwell early/mid chapters had an awesome melancholic, hopeless ambience to them. Jon had the great moral-fighting chapters. Red wedding obviously is amazing, as well as purple wedding.

I think AGOT will always be my favourite because it introduced me to this series and a genre I never was interested in before because I thought I knew what it was about but after reading AGOT definitely changed my view n opened up a whole new world of literature for me. when it's done right the medieval setting, dragons or magic is almost just a background setting for great story telling, amazing characters.

A Dance with Dragons

A Storm of Swords

A Game of Thrones

A Feast for Crows

A Clash of Kings

I mainly liked Dance because of its insane diversity, the Bolton/Stannis/Jon angle with Theon, the most brilliant POV of all, and Tyrion/Dany/Arya in Essos.

I liked Feast mainly because of Sansa's chapters, because of Littlefinger who is my favorite character. I liked the Ironborn angle a lot, especially when Euron made an appearance. I was about to quit on them when Aeron nearly bored me to sleep, but Euron Crow's Eye saved the day.

So far I haven't seen anyone else with my same order:

1. SoS - IMO best book ever written in the fantasy genre. I admit I'm not an expert. I would love to read a better fantasy book.

2. DwD - I understand what everyone is saying about the Mereen chapters being boring and the annoyance with Jon's chapters. But I mean: Theon/Reek! These chapters are really great.

Reek, Reek, it rhymes with the peak of GRRM's writing skills!

:agree:

3. aFfC - I don't understand all the Feast hate I read on this board. This book really grew on me on re-read. I love Jaime and Brienne's chapters.

4. CoK - I really like Tyrion as hand of the king. Arya chapters are great. Bran and Jojen / Meera are pretty good, too.

5. GoT - I love this book but one of them has to be last!

a clash of kings purely because of the sense of excitement i had reading it. i had seen season one of the tv show first, so reading the first book dragged a bit. i started the second book before season 2 came out so it was pretty awesome. and it was a really good book anyway.

i suppose feast would be least favourite, it was definitely rambling and in parts boring but i enjoyed it none the less.

ASOS- By far the most epic. The BWB is introduced. Hound and Arya. Tyrion at KL after he loses some power. The Red Viper coming into the story. His fight with The Mountain. The RW (even though it's sad as all hell). Joffrey's wedding... Tyrion's trial, and what he does at the very end. Oh, and of course Jaime as a POV and his character arch starting to form. Jon and his journey from the wildlings to over the wall and the battle at the wall.

After ASOS... ACoK, AGoT, ADWD, and AFfC.

I think AFfC gets more slack than it should. The most political book in the series. The Greyjoy Kingsmoot, Cersei flaunting power at KL, and Dorne enters the game of thrones.

ASOS was my favorite. Then I rank AGOT, ACOK, ADWD as my second favorite. Finally comes AFFC. In hindsight, I made an excellent choice by going in for ASOS as the first book in the series that I read after seeing the 2 seasons of the TV show as ASOS turned out to be a real crackerjack of a book and it glued me to the remaining books. I don't hate ADWD like some previous posters in this thread. For me, I loved Dany's Essos chapters. Keep in mind that GRRM was describing a totally new world and characters from a completely different culture than the one described in the first four books! I feel he did an excellent job with it. Though i felt that AFFC was a bit boring on the first read I plan to give it a second, more thorough read soon.

ASOS

AFFC

ACOK

ADWD

AGOT

- everyone says AFFC gets better on re-read.

Jaime's story comes alive in AFFC. Brienne's is better once you're not waiting on dragons. I don't even think there's that much diff in quality of books across the series. But I like the events in ASOS the most I guess.

1. ASOS- Pure power. The best fantasy book I have ever read. Emotional gut-punches. The best way I can describe it is an absolute BEAST of a book.

2. ADWD- I loved the expanded world, lots of characters and just a ton of stuff going on. Plus, knowing it was the last new ASOIAF book I would read for a long while, I really savored it, every line, every location, every character, I slowed down and made sure I was completely soaking everything in. This made me enjoy it all the more. Basically, I read it the first time through the way I would typically re-read a book.

3. ACOK- Great mixture of suspense and action. Another pure power book. Tyrion's high point of the series to me. The closest thing a ASOIAF book has had to a traditional climax so far with the awesome Battle of the Blackwater. Introduced Stannis, and made you realize that AGOT was no fluke, GRRM is absolutley the real deal. It was somewhere in the middle of this book where I realized I was reading the best series I have ever read, and was so excited to know that when it was over, I still had 3 more books to devour.

4. AGOT- The one that started it all. Just an amazing debut. The only reason its 4th is because the story just kept expanding and getting better as the series went on, but readers will never forget moments like Ned's Head, the Golden Crown, and the Birth of Dragons. Great mystery and intrigue to go along with some fantastic action.

5. AFFC- 5th place but still a better book than almost anyone else is writing. Definitley a slower read, and was somewhat jarring to be missing some characters after the absolute high of ASOS, as I did not know ahead of time that we would be losing Dany, Jon, Tyrion, etc. Still fantastic though for adding depth to characters, and exposition to the story. There is not nearly as many classic moments, but still a ton to chew on for us ASOIAF die-hards, and holds up FANTASTICALLY on a re-read.

By the way, I said ASOS was the best fantasy book I had ever read. I realized immediately after posting that as far as I'm concerned ASOS is the best book I have ever read, period.

Goddamn, when I really think about it, it is truly amazing how much shit was packed into that book. It was literally one classic moment after another. Doesn't even seem possible for one book to hold so much power. It was like everytime I picked up the book to start reading, I couldn't wait to see where I was gonna be by the time I put it down. I remember by the time Oberyn lost to Gregor, I was just emotionally exhausted. Luckily Tywin and Lysa's deaths, along with Stoneheart's debut, closed it out with some much needed comeuppance for the bad guys.

Here's to hoping TWOW and ADOS will end up being 1,2 on that list. Man, it is exciting to think that there is still at least 2 more of these to read. And then depressing to realize it wont be any goddamn time soon!

Archived