Why did the Arryns try to grow a Weirwood in the Eyrie?

angelodebo

I was re-reading a Game of Thrones..(tons of foreshadowing in the first book)

In Catelyn's chapter ( the chapter where Bronn battles Ser Vardis Egen in Tyrion's trial by combat)..she mentions that there is a small garden in the Eyrie and "no matter how much dirt they brought up from the Vale a Weirwood Tree would not take root"

The Arryns are 100% Andal and the purest blood of all the Andal houses! Why would they attempt to grow a Weirwood Tree? When re-reading, I thought that was strange. The Andals destroyed on the Weirwoods because they believed they were used by the First Men & the Children as a weapon.

So why would the Arryns want such a weapon inside their impregnable castle?

I was re-reading a Game of Thrones..(tons of foreshadowing in the first book)

In Catelyn's chapter ( the chapter where Bronn battles Ser Vardis Egen in Tyrion's trial by combat)..she mentions that there is a small garden in the Eyrie and "no matter how much dirt they brought up from the Vale a Weirwood Tree would not take root"

The Arryns are 100% Andal and the purest blood of all the Andal houses! Why would they attempt to grow a Weirwood Tree? When re-reading, I thought that was strange. The Andals destroyed on the Weirwoods because they believed they were used by the First Men & the Children as a weapon.

So why would the Arryns want such a weapon inside their impregnable castle?

For Lysa, perhaps.

Was the reference to the weirwood given any sort of timeframe on when its planting was attempted? I could imagine Jon Arryn having attempted to plant a weirwood tree for Ned during his time being fostered in the Vale, or perhaps more simply to provide a proper godswood for any other Old Gods followers who may visit the Eyrie. By this point in the history of Westeros, no one would think of weirwoods as being "weapons" of any sort. In the South, most people would simply look at them as being another type of tree, and even the Northerners would generally consider weirwoods to be symbolic representatives of the Old Gods, rather than necessarily having any specific qualities.

It wouldn't have been for Lysa; she would be a follower of the Faith of the Seven.

Was the reference to the weirwood given any sort of timeframe on when its planting was attempted? I could imagine Jon Arryn having attempted to plant a weirwood tree for Ned during his time being fostered in the Vale, or perhaps more simply to provide a proper godswood for any other Old Gods followers who may visit the Eyrie. By this point in the history of Westeros, no one would think of weirwoods as being "weapons" of any sort. In the South, most people would simply look at them as being another type of tree, and even the Northerners would generally consider weirwoods to be symbolic representatives of the Old Gods, rather than necessarily having any specific qualities.

It wouldn't have been for Lysa; she would be a follower of the Faith of the Seven.

Ofcourse, stupid me.

It doesn't really give a timeline as to when they attempted to grow a Weirwood. Maybe it was a simple gesture to the North. I find it a little suspicious that the Weirwood never took root. These trees represent the "Old Gods"..and the Old Gods would not take root in a castle they were once cast out from? Just a thought..It seems these trees a very much alive, and very much connected to the First Men-Children of the Forrest-Old Gods (they have faces!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It never specifically said that the Arryns built the Eyrie. It just says 'the builders'. When the first Arryn, the Winged Knight Ser Artys, flew to the top of the Giant's Lance to slay the Griffin King could just mean he flew to the Eyrie itself to kill the Falcon King. The Falcon Kings would have been First Men, and therefore worshipers of the old gods. So, they would have wanted a Weirwood tree.

I don't have the book on hand and haven't read it in a while, but does that quote specifically say they tried to plant a weirwood? Catelyn could have just been saying it wouldn't be possible to grow one, maybe as a critique in the same way she (dis-favorably) compared Sweetrobin to Rickon.

• 1 month later...

Wow, that is actually an interesting bit of symbolism you found here!

However, I think this was pretty unintentional--by this point, few believe The Children of The Forest ever exsisted at all, let alone that they are spying on everyone through the faces of the weirwoods. As many people mentioned, it was probably intendid to be a status symbol, much like Lysa's weirwood throne--they are, after all, one of the rarest trees in The Seven Kingdoms.

But on the other hand, it could be seen as a subtle sort of divine intervention--like The Olds Gods proclaiming the Arryn's 'not worthy' of nursing one of their sacred symbols inside Andal walls. Basically a godly middle finger of sorts. :lol:

• 6 months later...

Wow, that is actually an interesting bit of symbolism you found here!

However, I think this was pretty unintentional--by this point, few believe The Children of The Forest ever exsisted at all, let alone that they are spying on everyone through the faces of the weirwoods. As many people mentioned, it was probably intendid to be a status symbol, much like Lysa's weirwood throne--they are, after all, one of the rarest trees in The Seven Kingdoms.

But on the other hand, it could be seen as a subtle sort of divine intervention--like The Olds Gods proclaiming the Arryn's 'not worthy' of nursing one of their sacred symbols inside Andal walls. Basically a godly middle finger of sorts. :lol:

Well it stands to reason that the castle that the Vale kings had before the coming of the Andals possessed a godswood with a heart tree at its center, like the rest of the great houses.

It is merely speculation, but I believe that weirwood throne that is in the High Hall is the heart tree that was ripped free of the godswood after the initial conquest. Perhaps the Old Gods are still a little butt hurt over the weirwood being pulled up and made into a throne, limiting any future growth of the sacred symbol.

Although this might seem to be the most boring explanation, I think it's because the Eyrie is at elevation. The weirwood serves as a reminder of the Eyrie's startling altitude. I am actually surprised that none of the characters ever complain of being short of breath.

Archived