The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

I think people from Westeros are Westerosi. Those from Essos are "bloody foreigners".

For some reason Amazon tells me my copy will only get here on the 6th of november, despite it being released today (if this were a normal book, I'd have it on release day. Or even earlier...). This upsets me more than it probably should.

So does anyone want to put in another suggestion as to what Kingdom of the Ifeqevron means?

It's a large forested area to the North of ( but apparently not that far removed from) Vaes Dothrak. Now I don't know what latitude Vaes Dothrak is like compared to for instance Winterfell, but it does not feel like a place that refers to the home of The Others, because it does not seem remotely cold enough. Possibly the Children of the Forest, if it is something exotic?

So does anyone want to put in another suggestion as to what Kingdom of the Ifeqevron means?

It's a large forested area to the North of ( but apparently not that far removed from) Vaes Dothrak. Now I don't know what latitude Vaes Dothrak is like compared to for instance Winterfell, but it does not feel like a place that refers to the home of The Others, because it does not seem remotely cold enough. Possibly the Children of the Forest, if it is something exotic?

Children of the Forest? I doubt so. Maybe another ethnic group from Essos, the so-called "Ifeqevron",(geographically) not unlike the Finnic peoples, living in the forests between the southern plains dominated by the nomad Turkic tribes and the northern lands of the Karelians.

Now I don't know what latitude Vaes Dothrak is like compared to for instance Winterfell, but it does not feel like a place that refers to the home of The Others, because it does not seem remotely cold enough.

No idea on the kingdom, but Vaes Dothrak should be at roughly the same latitude as Storm's End or even northern Dorne (Braavos being located opposite the Fingers).

No idea on the kingdom, but Vaes Dothrak should be at roughly the same latitude as Storm's End or even northern Dorne (Braavos being located opposite the Fingers).

You can see it on the world map linked above. Vaes Dothrak is at the same latitude as the Iron Islands and the Fingers.

What about Essos? Essoans?

No such thing such (though based on convention it would be Essosi): they'd be called Braavosi, Volantenes, Qartheen, Astapori or Meereenese or whatever instead.

You can see it on the world map linked above. Vaes Dothrak is at the same latitude as the Iron Islands and the Fingers.

Looking at it it seems more comparable to Crackclaw Point, but I think the important thing is that it's much further south than Winterfell.;)

I searched various pieces of "Ifeqevron" in an online Dothraki dictionary, the only interesting thing I noticed was that "Qevir" means "forest."

Putting Lonely Light and Faros on there are pretty cool moves. Some nice attention to detail. I wonder if the 'Thousand Islands' is a nod to GRRM's own 'Thousand Worlds' SF setting?

That giganormous mountain range seems to be in search of a better name than 'Bone Mountains' though. If that's Martinworld's equivalent of the Himalayas (and from their size compared to the Mountains of the Moon or the Red Mountains, it looks like they are), they would seem to deserve a grander title.

I'm still not convinced by Qarth no longer being the only way into the Jade Sea though. It looks to me like Port Moraq and Faros should be at least as rich as Qarth (maybe they are, who knows?) since they control the other way into the Jade Sea.

Qarth has never been said to be the only way to the Jade Sea, but it's surely the most convenient path to Yi Ti. It all comes down to the cost-benefit analysis of whether the quick route and highish tariffs at Qarth might be preferable to the slow route and less-highish tariffs.

Another possibility is that the wind blows predominantly eastward at Qarth, making the Jade Gates all the more appealing, and that the "trader's circle" might suggest that the wind circulates along the coast of Essos, bending down to Asshai before beginning to loop back. South of Great Moraq, the wind may well be predominantly blowing to the west/southwest, suggesting that Faros and Port Moraq are part of the return leg of the trader's circle, rather than seen as an alternative route to Yi Ti.

Any number of ways to sort it out, anyways.

Qarth has never been said to be the only way to the Jade Sea, but it's surely the most convenient path to Yi Ti. It all comes down to the cost-benefit analysis of whether the quick route and highish tariffs at Qarth might be preferable to the slow route and less-highish tariffs.

Maybe Qarth is the route free of corsairs. We know the Basilisk Isles area is corsair-ridden, and they're organized enough to have a corsair prince!

Got my copy today and I absolutely love it! The posters are so gorgeous I'm glad I didn't order the older map posters of Westeros/Essos cause "The Known World" trumps them all.

I kind of wish they werent folded so that I could frame them up without all the creases :( But I think I will wait hopefully an individual poster of the known world which comes rolled instead of folded.

Archived