Favorite POV Character

TyrionFan82

Just for AGOT, my list of POV favorites would look like this:

1. Tyrion (do I need to explain this?)

2. Catelyn (her motivations and actions were pretty cool, and I always loved her chapters - especially as she reunites with Robb and witnesses his actions leading up to becoming the King of the North)

3. Eddard (we had some cool insight into the political aspects of Westeros, and we saw a lot of interesting characters in King's Landing through his eyes. Though, I grew tired of Eddard having so many chapters - but I later realized that I actually missed him after his death, LOL)

4. Arya (she's just awesome, but only started to become my favorite character after Tyrion in ACOK)

5. Daenerys (the Dothraki storyline had very interesting scenes and a huge climax, but I had some problems to like her character and understand her motivations. I'm going to start my ASOIAF reread soon, so I might be able to change my opinion of her, but in general, I had less difficulties to like her in later books)

6. Bran (It's not that he doesn't deserve a better ranking, since I really liked his last chapter with this awesome conversation with Maester Luwin as well as Osha's introduction, but the storyline didn't interest me quite as much as the aforementioned did)

7. Sansa (in the beginning, she was just the beautiful little princess dreaming of knights and princes and lemoncakes, but after Eddard's death, I started to feel for her soo much, especially the scene in which Joffrey presented Eddard's head to her was great and included powerful writing)

8. Jon (my least favorite POV character in the very beginning, which has changed in ACOK, although I still can't like him, IMO the stereotypical hero. The story about his training in the Night's Watch did not raise my interest as good as the other stories, but I started to like it after Ghost found the ranger's hand - "it", not "him")

There wasn't any character I didn't enjoy. But

Dany's story by far hooked me deeper than any other character. Maybe it was her isolation from the other events which all else seemed so directly interconnected, but I just fell in love with her story and her progression, the way she started out so small, alone, and scared and then found inner strength. I was fascinated by her.

I totally agree with people trashing on Sansa but I have to admit that her chapters sort of sparked in me my childish love of fantasy in all its indulgent silliness. Because through Sansa's eyes, at least in the early chapters, the world of Westeros truly did seem like a fairy tale with potential happy endings.

• 4 weeks later...

Ned was my absolute favorite. everything he did was just based on "good." not what was best for him, his family, or anything else but doing the right and honorable thing. everyone else has a touch of good/bad to them but he was just purely good.

My second favorite is Arya. shes pretty freakin awesome.

• 1 month later...

My favorites are Jon and Tyrion

Jon bc I like reading about the NW, plus Jon's story there seem a growing up story

Tyrion's bc I like his intelligence a lot, he is a survivor

The ones I enjoy the least are Danny and Catlyn

Dany, bc she is no different from her brother, I don't like her arrogance, and her high-steem, she doesnt even know what is the iron throne and she wants it, just bc her brother wanted it...this reasoning seems like a child wanting the cool toy that his brother is playing with. It was really work for me to read her.

Catlyb, I did admire her intelligence, her dignity, but her mother's love was kind of tiring.

I did love Ned's pov, it was wonderful, until his naivity started to come out more and more, and then, although still enjoyable became frustrating

I also did like Arya's willfuness, her courage.

As for Sansa, I did not dislike her, but I found her infuriating. I understand she was sheltered and all that, so I put more the blame in Catlyn and Ned. I do hope she grows

From best to worst for book one I'd say Jon, Ned, and Tyrion are the most interesting characters to follow. I started reading after the fifth episode of season one and books made realize that Jon was my favorite character not Ned. Arya was great as well she's probably in my top three favorites. Catelyn and bran were interesting but I enjoyed them more when Robb was around and the WotFK was starting. Dany's story in book wasn't all that interesting to me as in the next books but I really liked learning of the history and experiencing such a different part of the world through her. Sansa is my least favorite to follow in aGoT and I became less interested in book 2.

My favorite POV character will be Ghost's in the next novel!

yo! you seem pretty convinced^^ I hope for you there is more than one of those chapters :D

my fav's in GOT were

1) Jon

2) Bran (I know, bizarre)

3) Tyrion

4) Arya

5) Dany

6) Eddard

7) Cate

8) Sansa

but I was also biased since I saw the show before I read the books.

• 2 weeks later...

Arya has always been a favorite. (that goes for both books i've read so far - AGoT + ACoC)

Ned provided the backbone of the story in AGoT though and i loved him as a character so i always enjoyed his chapters too.

• 4 months later...

Im greatly surprised by the change of my mind during a re-read. Im rereading AGoT for the first time now and while during my premiere I almost hated (or was 2nd worst) Bran chapters now I seem to love it. If you consider how interesting his chapters are - its amazing. The process with NW deserter, finding direwolfs, jaime and cersei, three eye crow and air look on westeros, tyrions arrival from NW, first ride while crrypled and wildlings ambush.His chapters are a bomb!I dont really understand why I dont like them during my first read (maybe cuz I know what would happen in ACoK)

Also enjoying a lot of Neds chapters :) and Jon as always, and Tyrion for sure.Maybe Arya and Sansa chapters seems a bit meh now reading it in comparison with ACoK and ASoS!But most significant is Daenerys storyline during the first book, that one is super interersting with all that tense with Viserys and Drogo's savages.

Archived