Arya in season 2

Arataniello

I don't think we're supposed to take the private parts part of the Kindly Man's speech literally. For instance, people have speculated that her next position will be as a courtesan (she's getting a pretty face), learning the ways of the seven sighs. Her body is theirs to do with as they please. Whatever the job requires, she'll have to do. So basically, she's going to have no control over any part of her life if she wants to serve with them.

I think you nailed it. When they say "take the private parts", they mean that one forfeits love, marriage, childbearing, etc., when one commits to the order.

Why would anyone actually join the FM? I understand how symbolic it is for Arya to join, as she has nothing else to live for, and can only trust in Death at this point. But the rest of them? Are all FM recruits completely out of options?

Well what do we know about the Moonsingers? If there's an affinity between the worship of the Many-Faced God and the faith that founded Braavos, that could help the choice to become a FM seem more moral to many Braavosi. That could mean there is less inertia to overcome. Maybe some of the people who come to the House of Black and White to pray for the gift to a suffering loved one become converts. Maybe exposure to wights and those resurrected by Red Priests will increase the belief that death is indeed a gift.

But assuming there aren't a ready supply of devotees, I suspect that the main crop are not those desperate to get by, but those genuinely desperate to see someone else dead. If the price that the Many-Faced God demands for a given gift is lifelong devotion, there may be a few that would be willing to pay the price (as in the mines of Valyria).

Archived