Is it worth buying Valyrian Steel Swords?

AngrySoviet

Their swords pre-date the show, so they're not supposed to represent what's seen on tv. They're based on the descriptions from the books.

But he is correct, they have gotten the rights to do the show swords. I've read this a while ago.

• 2 weeks later...

According to a post on Valyrian Steel's blog tonight, there are less than 100 units left in the limited edition run of Longclaw. I've wanted one since they were announced - by coincidence my wife ordered one for my birthday just yesterday. Lucky me - it's nice having a fellow nerd for a spouse.

• 2 weeks later...

So disappointed that I couldn't get the money together to buy Longclaw in time. Will have to keep saving for one of the HBO replicas. :crying:

The only wife better than the wife who buys her husband a sword, is the wife who asks her husband to buy one for her.

My girlfriend bought me Longclaw for Christmas. Most thoughtful gift I ever received, seeing as we bonded over the books when we first started talking.

I bought her Needle for her birthday, and she was overjoyed to recieve it. They're both hanging beautifully next to each other.

Yes, she is a keeper!

Just got my Night's Watch Dragonglass dagger set. So cool! The wooden box it comes in is very nice and adds to the look of some kind of artifact straight from Westeros and not just some random licensed memorabilia. The arrowhead and pouch are just awesome as well. All the leather work is also just top notch. Couldn't be happier. Can't wait for some of the tv show replicas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both Longclaw (birthday gift from my parents) and Ice (just received as a first Father's Day gift from my wife and son).

I like Longclaw - my hands are a little too large to really hold it as a two handed weapon but the feel is nice.

Ice looks very pretty, but as another poster commented the blade is very wobbly if held horizontally. As long as you don't plan on going after any cave trolls, it will look great on the wall.

If the comments are true about the show weapons being licensed then I will definitely be in line for the Ice from the show - love how that looked.

My girlfriend bought me Longclaw for Christmas. Most thoughtful gift I ever received, seeing as we bonded over the books when we first started talking.

I bought her Needle for her birthday, and she was overjoyed to recieve it. They're both hanging beautifully next to each other.

Yes, she is a keeper!

How often do you duel each other? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I almost waited too long but finally made the commitment and nabbed one of the last few available stainless Longclaws; this just a few days before it sold out from Valyrian. (I now see Longclaw going for up to three times its original cost at both Amazon and eBay.)

This won't be my last purchase from Valyrian Steel. Longclaw #2178 has joined other fantasy and movie sword replicas in my collection. It's quality is very high for a decorative wallhanger--comparable to United Cutlery's finest fantasy swords. (LotR, Highlander, etc.)

Now...what Valyrian to buy next...?

Yes, Valyrian Steel and HBO have anounced Valyrian will be producing GoT versions in open-ended editions; nothing specific, yet, as far as I've read or heard. But series versions of Ice, Longclaw, and Needle would seem likeliest to be produced first, if I had to guess.

I wonder if these will be just HBO Store and Valyrian exclusives; or will their swords be available through the various on-line sword dealers and print catalogs (like Bud K) and those eBay dealers that sell swords and other fantasy weapons. Amazon would certainly carry them, too, since they seem to carry everything.

We'll find out these details soon enough; HBO is cranking out plenty of Game of Thrones merchandise, with no end in sight, apparently.

An interesting GoT first offering, Ran, likely made I'll bet so as not to compete directly with Valyrian's "book version" swords. Though now that the book Longclaw is out-of-production (and very soon Ice), I expect their GoT versions will soon follow; I've seen a number of comments, including my own, in various quarters, wanting those versions.

Following on my comment made above, I just ordered from Valyrian the stainless steel version of Ice.

Ser Kennos, you'll have to let us know what you think of it when Ice arrived. I decided to skip on buying it. I'm fine with having Needle and Longclaw on the wall, and couldn't part with the ~$300 right now.

I actually like the look of the HBO Ice a bit better than the book one that VS was offering. Maybe VS can chime in, will the HBO valyrian blades have the same etched stainless steel blade, be made of damascus, or both? I would probably buy the show version if it had the same looking blade as my Longclaw, so they match on the wall.

No, we do not intend to acid etch the show blades, it wouldn't match the props. That kind of texture is very visible, and you can't even see anything in most shots of the swords on the show.

As Ran said Robb's will be the first sword we have out likely, but the first item will probably be the Hound's Helm or the Stark Shield.

Archived