Is it worth buying Valyrian Steel Swords?

AngrySoviet

Any idea right now (rough estimate of course) what each of those might cost? I'm going to assume that these will be 1:1 (full size, though half-scale might be more practical for home display).

I especially love the show's Stark shield design--I have one of HBO's nifty metal Stark Shield key rings (minus the chain & clapse now) displayed with their ICE letter opener and a medieval-looking letter opener stand I found for sale at eBay.

Ser_Niall:

I'll be happy to give my impressions of the Stainless ICE after it arrives; I received confirmation that it finally shipped on 7-17. The slight delay was due to my needing to send an additional shipping payment because I had requested double-boxing of ICE. This so it's very nice product packaging sleeve wouldn't get damaged, as had happened with my recent purchase of Valyrian's now OP stainless Longclaw. (I'm a longtime Collector--cap "C"--of many things and really despise receiving ordered items with any kind of shipping damage!)

Once again, as with Longclaw, I snagged this one just under the wire before it sold out. (My next purchase will be NEEDLE, then the wooden boxed dragonglass dagger set.)

For those interested (and with $700.00+ to spend), Valyrian Steel still has copies available of the Damascus version of ICE--but I wouldn't wait too long on that one, not now. Prices have already begun to skyrocket on the just OP Stainless ICE and will only go higher; consider it an investment, if nothing else.

Below is a YouTube link I spotted while there that shows the careful unboxing of ICE and then compares all three of Valyrian's Stark family swords; this so you can get a better look at what all three actually look like up close. Based on this video, I'm not at all unhappy I finally committed to buying this nicely-executed wall hanger greatsword:

The completionist bug bit me yesterday... I knew I'd regret it if I didn't get Ice, seeing as the other 2 Stark swords are currently hanging on my wall. I ended up getting one on Amazon last night. They're charging a little more than what they were going for on Valyrian's site, but the shipping is free. I was apprehensive about throwing more money at yet another sword so soon, but now that it's ordered I'm happy that Ice is on it's way.

There are still 11 left on Amazon in case anyone else wants to snag one. This is probably the last stock on the 'net for the Stark family sword.

Question for VS: I know that since you've acquired the HBO license, your next few offerings will probably be from the show. Are you planning on reproducing more weapons based on the book license along side the HBO items? I'd love to see swords like Oathkeeper produced, and I've heard something about making the Bran assassination dagger?

The dagger will be a show replica.

Yes, we're going to continue working with GRRM to produce book replicas as long as we can... however GRRM is the planet's busiest human so the process can be slow. With HBO, with a prop already existing we just need to copy, it'll go quicker, and you'll notice that in product releases.

Received my double-boxed and packed copy of ICE (#1538) on Friday, July 20, four days after receiving Valyrian's UPS shipping notice; this must have been just about the very last copy of the stainless ICE shipped out from their warehouse (I've really got to stop cutting these purchases so damn close!)

Hauling the big, double-boxed sword inside my house from the porch wasn't too far from moving a bulky appliance! I have to hand it to Valyrian: They know how to pack-up a big sword and its product packaging extra-carefully for picky collectors like me (thanks a bunch, VS)!

Extracating the sword (very carefully of course) from the above double-boxing and its attractive product packaging sleeve and styrofoam container, I then gave ICE a quick cursory look-over and saw nothing to be alarmed about. (The Stark family wall-hanging display plaque and Martin-signed certificate of authenticity are still packed as I post this.) Like Longclaw, the overall quality of the weapon is pretty obvious: It easily compares to quality decorative swords made by United Cutlery or Marto and Denix in Spain; I couldn't ask for better quality. I'll post more about ICE after I get the time for a more detailed examination of everything.

The only problem with both swords is their light blade color--unavoidable being made of stainless steel, I realize. But I've been giving some serious thought to a way to fix this on my stainless Longclaw and Ice. (The [cap "C"] Collector inside my head is loudly saying I'm nuts to even consider doing anything extra to both swords.) But I'll post more about this notion after doing a little more research: the ASoIaF novels indicate that Valayrian steel swords are dark--darker, even (it appears) than Damascus steel, from their descriptions. But just how dark is dark? Very dark gray? And are any other color hues or values mixed in both swords that reflect from the steel?

There's only one person that can really answer that one and that's GRRM himself. Fortunately, George and Parris are old friends of mine (decades now). When he returns at the end of July from his current Spanish book-signing tour and convention trip, I'll call him after he's had a chance to clear the decks of piled-up e-mail and regular mail, and we'll get caught up again (it's been a couple of months). While doing that, I'll ask him to clarify just how dark is Valyrian steel. And possibly proceed from there with my wild-hair idea...stay tuned.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to reach out to any potential Longclaw or Ice buyers. I have a few for sale. I you have any questions or are interested, please contact me at [email protected]

I have 4 Damascus Long claws

#29, #81, #87 and #99

I also have #81 and #99 Damascus Ice

and well as one Stainless Steel Longclaw

#29 has what can only be described as a "hangnail" like spur, flat and slightly smaller then the tip of a pencil. It is located towards the tip of the sword. It is so small it won't even show up in pictures. I'm sure it can be removed, but is almost completely unnoticeable. I just want to be up front about this. All other swords are in MINT CONDITION.

All damascus swords have been treated with Museum Grade Renaissance wax to protect against rust

I Prefer to keep the 99's because Mr. Martin is the proud owner of 100, but if the offer is good enough, I will "consider" parting with them

That's quite the arsenal :drool:

Did you have one hanging in every room of the house?

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to reach out to any potential Longclaw or Ice buyers. I have a few for sale. I you have any questions or are interested, please contact me at [email protected]

I have 4 Damascus Long claws

#29, #81, #87 and #99

I also have #81 and #99 Damascus Ice

and well as one Stainless Steel Longclaw

#29 has what can only be described as a "hangnail" like spur, flat and slightly smaller then the tip of a pencil. It is located towards the tip of the sword. It is so small it won't even show up in pictures. I'm sure it can be removed, but is almost completely unnoticeable. I just want to be up front about this. All other swords are in MINT CONDITION.

All damascus swords have been treated with Museum Grade Renaissance wax to protect against rust

I Prefer to keep the 99's because Mr. Martin is the proud owner of 100, but if the offer is good enough, I will "consider" parting with them

It might just be due to the type of lights I have, but my stainless longclaw looks sufficiently dark when hanging on the wall. The light reflects off of the shiny stainless parts, but leaves the etched areas nice and dark. It truly looks Valyrian to me. When I have to off the wall and laying flat on a table, however, the color looks a little more uniform.

My Ice is out for delivery as we speak... can't wait to get home.

The only problem with both swords is their light blade color--unavoidable being made of stainless steel, I realize. But I've been giving some serious thought to a way to fix this on my stainless Longclaw and Ice. (The [cap "C"] Collector inside my head is loudly saying I'm nuts to even consider doing anything extra to both swords.) But I'll post more about this notion after doing a little more research: the ASoIaF novels indicate that Valayrian steel swords are dark--darker, even (it appears) than Damascus steel, from their descriptions. But just how dark is dark? Very dark gray? And are any other color hues or values mixed in both swords that reflect from the steel?

Ser_Niall,

HAHA,

I suggested to my wife when I got my first sword that I wanted to put it up on a wall. She pointed to the closet and said, "sure, go ahead". If it were up to me, our whole house would look like a combination of the ludis from Spartacus and the throne room at kingslanding. Every word I own would be displayed with the pride and respect they deserve. But short of a divorce, that's just not going to happen:)

I lost this fight before i even knew it started:(

My girlfriend insisted that we hang Longclaw and Needle up in our bedroom. She's mine... all mine... my precious...

Only problem is that there's no room for Ice. Might have to hang that bad boy somewhere else.

Ser_Niall,

HAHA,

I suggested to my wife when I got my first sword that I wanted to put it up on a wall. She pointed to the closet and said, "sure, go ahead". If it were up to me, our whole house would look like a combination of the ludis from Spartacus and the throne room at kingslanding. Every word I own would be displayed with the pride and respect they deserve. But short of a divorce, that's just not going to happen:)

I lost this fight before i even knew it started:(

Opened up my Ice last night. The sword is a thing of beauty. I'm glad I ended up picking it up. The hilt is very regal looking, which I know some people complain about since the Starks are northmen who live simply. However, this is a ceremonial sword passed down through generations, and the looks speaks to that. Luckily, mine did not have any smudges on the white suede that some people are complaining about, and I don't have any of the blade wobble either. Just need to find a place to hang this bad boy....

My wife is very understanding, but then she knew I was a Collector when she married me a long time ago; as long as I keep all this stuff reasonably organized, there's no problem. (But considering its current size, I've felt for a longtime that The Collection has slowly begun to collect *me,* psychologically speaking.)

My copy of Ice had a minor smugey stain on the leather-covered handle, but a dab of suede cleaner took it right off without a hitch, leaving no trace of either on the grain. LIke your copy, Ser_Niall, it seems perfect in every way; it does has some very minor blade wobble, due to the wide blade's overall length and weight, but that's a characteristic of real greatswords (as noted at the beginning of this tread); Ice feels solid and certainly looks that way.

Given the much higher expense and blade maintenance issues for an unsharpened, *non-combat,* high-carbon patterned steel blade, Ice in stainless is perfect for me. It's as good as other quality wallhangers hanging in my large collection room (which has *lots* of other stuff in it, too, not only swords, including U. S. 1st edition/1st printings of all of GRRM's books pubbed during the last 40 years).

But I'm not quite happy with the light color of both stainless Valyrians; until George gets back from his Spanish tour at the end of this month, I won't be able to ask him (see my note above about this) regarding the proper hue and color of Ice and Longclaw. I realize this is a little obesssive, but most Collectors are cursed with the characteristic. (Ultimately, I may just have to live with it.)

I've found a few really nice damascus daggers and un-hilted sword blades on Ebay. Do a search on Damascus dagger and see how many pop up. Usually run around US$95 or so, less if you can do your own metal work adding handle/grip, crossguard and pommel to the blank blades.

Just received my Needle (#0834) and it is AMAZING. Stunning quality, looks amazing and is overall badass. Plus I mean...it's needle, there's nothing more kick ass than Arya + Needle. Came surprisingly quick in the post to Australia, just under 10 days.

Massive thumbs up to everyone at Valyrian Steel.

Hey Valyrian Steel,

I saw that a while back the concept of creating a Dothraki Arakh has been tossed around, have any plans been made for production? My apologies if this has been discussed to death but I, along with others I know would be lining up at the door to get my hands on one. I feel that GRRM and HBO has put forth so much effort essentially inventing this type of sword for the series/show, it would be amazing to get a replica with the quality your company boasts to hang up on my wall. The Arakh with its curved half blade-half scythe design saw much use in the first season and will no doubt grow in the subsequent seasons with the introduction of Strong Belwas and Daario's golden wanton lady hilts (could sell as 'queens sellsword package' with matching stiletto). I am only a lowly book reader and know not the ways of smithing but if this can be done it will no doubt sate the appetites of fellow 'mothers men' and sell very well.

I see that someone has already suggested Dawn be made (the meteorite blade allows for some really cool design work IMO).

Actually... GRRM doesn't like HBO's arakhs. I thought, and HBO thought (I suppose), and many people thought, that because of the kh consonant group and the descriptions, he modeled arakhs after khopeshes, which is not an invented type of sword. HBO arakhs are basically khopeshes. It seemed to me personally these shape of sword would do well from horseback.I thought for sure I had it pegged down, all while reading I always pictured a khopesh.

I told as much to GRRM and he corrected me, in his book version, arakhs are more like scimitars, though what you may think of as a scimitar is far less than what he explained. Something more like this. A very significant curve.

If we have our way we'll do both versions.

As for Dawn, in the books it has a milky white blade. We do not know a way to mimic that without using paint, and GRRM doesn't like paint.

For Dawn I don't know if its commercially feasible (or even practical) for use on such a full-sized sword, but could you use an all-white ceramic blade, possibly slightly tinted (if that's even possible)? Is a ceramic blade doable and affordable in such a large format?

I have a several white ceramic kitchen knives, and they're crazy sharp and cut through just about anything; and talk about light weight! But ceramics can be chipped if used/handled improperly.

Of course, a dull-edged Dawn blade would be practical and necessary for a decorative sword. You could issue a special handling warning with the sword, it being ceramic. I imagine that a full or half tang might be necessary for mounting the blade to its handle (w/wooden pins Japanese katana style) or even some kind of epoxy--though I'm just guessing on that detail.

Could Dawn be done with a metal blade that is then powder-coated a slightly (translucent?) milky white? Since powder-coating isn't paint, that approach might possible work; and the finish is very durable, too.

Just a pair wild-hair ideas; two more I'm *sure* you need at this point (clearing throat)!

Finally, confirmation that GRRM imagined scimitars all along! The curve of a horseman's scimitar is ideally suited for fighting on horseback, especially when your opponents are mostly lightly or unarmored -- the curvature makes for a superior slicing weapon, and the "slashing" style of attack Martin describes in the book seems to be pretty much spot on for scimitars.

Archived