Is it worth buying Valyrian Steel Swords?

AngrySoviet

Actually... GRRM doesn't like HBO's arakhs. I thought, and HBO thought (I suppose), and many people thought, that because of the kh consonant group and the descriptions, he modeled arakhs after khopeshes, which is not an invented type of sword. HBO arakhs are basically khopeshes. It seemed to me personally these shape of sword would do well from horseback.I thought for sure I had it pegged down, all while reading I always pictured a khopesh.

I told as much to GRRM and he corrected me, in his book version, arakhs are more like scimitars, though what you may think of as a scimitar is far less than what he explained. Something more like this. A very significant curve.

If we have our way we'll do both versions.

As for Dawn, in the books it has a milky white blade. We do not know a way to mimic that without using paint, and GRRM doesn't like paint.

Thanks valyrian steel for getting back to me. Wow the blade you showed does have an insane curve, very cool. If you guys do have your way and do both versions count me in! (Especially the HBO version, as blasphemous as it may sound).

As for dawn, thank you for the clarification. I neglected to take into account the difficulty of getting that 'milky white' blade look.

Are there any plans to do any other older valyrian steel swords? The two that stand out the most in my humble opinion would be blackfyre and dark sister.

Blackfyre the ancestral blade of House Targaryen, the infamous bastard sword that started the bloody rebellion of the same name, wielded by Daemon Blackfyre and arguably the most famous figure in westerosi history, Aegon the Conqueror.

The other, Dark sister, the famous longsword wielded by Visenya and subsequently by her renowned descendent Aemon the Dragonknight.

Throughout the reading of ASOIAF and the dunk and egg tales, these swords have always stood out to me. Being the ancestral weapons of the dragonlords I picture a dark blade with ripples of scarlet with a jet black hilt and the three headed dragon sigil on the pommel. I could not imagine a more bad ass weapon than the sword of the guy who started it all from dragon back and carved out a continent with fire and blood.

Thank you so much for your time

Two other weapons that I felt has been iconic and would differ from some others your company has so excellently produced.

The first would be victarion greyjoys axe. I picture a black axe (single or double sided, I havent found sufficient textual evidence to be sure) accented with gold and with an inverted golden kracken with twisting tentacles reaching towards the blade, either as the handle or fixed to the handle possibly with the tentacles serving as an additional grip.

The other being Maekars mace from the hedge knight. A black mace with scarlet spikes would strike fear into the hearts of men. Muah ha ha

We'll probably do a Victarion item if/when HBO introduces his character.

We really don't plan on doing Dark Sister or Blackfyre until if/when they get first hand page time in the books (ie, Dany finds one or something).

We may do Dunk's shield.

I couldn't imagine HBO would leave him out. Especially with his involvement in storm and dance. Do you know if the axe is single or double sided? One handed or two? And what do you think about the kraken handle?

I'm sure one or the other will resurface. There was such an emphasis on them especially in the dunk and egg tales. I mean, the second most important civil war in the world was fought because of the sword Blackfyre, I mean that seems to me like a pretty big deal. I hope they do, I can't think of anything cooler than holding the legendary sword of Aegon the Conqueror! Are you planning on doing any Targaryen weapons?

That's so cool! I can picture the tree with the falling star now.. If I remember correctly, you guys talked about making a stark shield. Would you also be interested in making shields from other houses, perhaps house Targaryen? Sorry if I sound like a broken record, I'm just really trying to see some Targaryen hardware. Hell i'd buy just about anything with a three headed dragon on it. Ha

• 1 month later...

We'll probably do a Victarion item if/when HBO introduces his character.

We really don't plan on doing Dark Sister or Blackfyre until if/when they get first hand page time in the books (ie, Dany finds one or something).

We may do Dunk's shield.

I may go all the way across the alantic to kiss you if you do indeed make Dunk's shield.

Ugh, wish I pulled the trigger on one of the Longclaw swords. They're no longer available.

Very glad I was able to pick Longclaw and Ice up in time, however despite them selling out their other product look sweet. I'm now tring to get funds for Needle, Dragonglass set and Oathkeeper (when it arrives), damn you Valyrian Steel I'm going to end up with no money ;)

I've looked around at various U.S. sword retailer websites and not seen a single Valyrian Steel OP sword available. That single offering of Longclaw at the UK retailer may be the only one left. After currency conversion, it will be somewhere in the ballpark of $375.00 to $400.00, before the shipping is added--a bargain at this point.

On eBay I've seen the stainless steel Longclaws going for just under $1000.00; at Amazon, a little less than that--I don't see it available at either site, currently. Both will pop-up at either from time-to-time, but not for long; be prepared to pay *much higher* prices--at least until the HBO Longclaw comes out from Valyrian Steel; I see that version tempering the current high prices for the novel Longclaw, at least for awhile.

I've looked around at various U.S. sword retailer websites and not seen a single Valyrian Steel OP sword available. That single offering of Longclaw at the UK retailer may be the only one left. After currency conversion, it will be somewhere in the ballpark of $375.00 to $400.00, before the shipping is added--a bargain at this point.

On eBay I've seen the stainless steel Longclaws going for just under $1000.00; at Amazon, a little less than that--I don't see it available at either site, currently. Both will pop-up at either from time-to-time, but not for long; be prepared to pay *much higher* prices--at least until the HBO Longclaw comes out from Valyrian Steel; I see that version tempering the current high prices for the novel Longclaw, at least for awhile.

Nice, great news, thanks. I had no idea they were going to be doing an HBO version of Longclaw. It is really the only weapon from ASoIaF I am interested in. I better start putting a little money away every week in case the price is outrageous.

The swords don't even look like the real things!

The swords currently sold by Valyrian Steel are the book swords and not the TV show swords. They have worked with GRRM with regards to designing the weapons, each weapons comes with his signature. You could say the show versions don't look like the real thing, in the show Longclaw isn't a bastard sword.

I believe Valyrian Steel do though have the contract to make and sell the show weapons as well.

George had no involvement in the design of the weapons and armor for the TV series. Including the Valyrian steel swords. They're all done by the production and approved by D&D. Only the Valyrian Steel swords have GRRM's direct input and approval.

This is not know......fair play.

But personally they just don't look that impressive, I mean ICE has 'winter is coming' engraved on the hilt, now my memory is foggy here and quote me if I'm wrong but I can't remember that engraving being described in the book? An isn't it supposed to be a Greatsword?

I own Longclaw and Ice and they both look great. I must say Longclaw especially looks fantastic and feels even better when you hold it. Ice is almost certainly a Greatsword its just about 5 foot in total length, although I will agree with you it probably shouldn't say 'Winter is coming' on it. Valyrian Steel have mention on the forum that they and GRRM designed it to look more richer than the show version as the Stark's were kings of half a continent for thousands of years. Consequently as the ceremonial weapon of the Kings in the North, it looks a bit more flash than the show version.

And if you don't take my word for check all the customer reviews on their website, furthermore Longlaw and Ice are now sold out forever so ones that appear on ebay are selling way above their original values. I suppose its not till you see them actually up close do you realise how awesome they are.

Archived