Is it worth buying Valyrian Steel Swords?

AngrySoviet

I own both Longclaw and Ice in their stainless steel versions. They are both as impressive as any of the higher-quality brand wallhanger-type swords produced by the best sword reproduction smiths--I'm thinking in particular of those wallhangers produced in Spain by Marto or those in the U.S. by United Cutlery (think the LotR swords by UC).

For decorative, non-combat weapons they couldn't be any better. I know because I've been collecting repro swords since the 1980s and have the collection to prove it. I'll buy any Valyrian Steel-brand sword, anytime, anywhere, as long as I can afford to keep up with their coming output (which has my wallet cringing in fear as I read about all their up-coming new products).

As to Ice's inscription with the House Stark motto, it certainly wouldn't be in English (I chock this up to a bit of harmless artistic license by GRRM and Valyrian Steel.) The real house motto would likely be in the written language of ancient Valyria, or if the hilt and pommel predate the blade, perhaps dating back to the time of Bran the Builder; maybe it would even be in some kind of ancient runic form dating back to the time of the First Men; only GRRM can settle this question (unless Elio has Secret Knowledge or at least a better memory than I do about this specific detail).

I doubt the hilt predates the sword. If it was made when the present Ice came to the Starks, I imagine it would have been written in the common tongue -- the language of the First Men is a dead one, south of the Wall, and I don't think whatever Stark king got a hold of it would have been some scholar.

(*awhile later*) Yes, I bow to your expertise, Elio. If I can remember to do so, I'll ask GRRM the next time I call if he can elaborate any further on Ice's specific minutia beyond what's in (and not in!) in the books; if he has anything new to add, I'll post it here, with a note to you (possibly) for the Wiki. My curiosity about this detail is now piqued! (crazy Collector obsessions...)

Valyrian Steel has three stainless versions of Ice back in stock, they have put them on ebay. The first sword's bid is currently at $600 that is insane, but its nice to know for any of us who already have one how much its worth now. Although I'm not ever going to sell my one just in case I capture a deserter from the Night's Watch.

Given that ICE is OP from Valyrian, that $650.00 final price (on the first Ice sold after 30 bids) is actually lower than I've seen them sell for recently at other venues; It wouldn't surprise me that the bids go even higher for the 2nd currently up at eBay. A 200 to 400 percent rise in value is pretty common, across the board, on many hot collectibles that have recently gone OP. Expect the prices to go even higher on these swords as the HBO series and the popularity of the books both continue to rise. Demand always = $$$ every time!

Both versions of Longclaw are gone, OP forever from Valyrian Steel...until they issue the HBO show version, which is diffferent than the book version--it's not a hand-and-a-half sword as GRRM describes.

BUT...the Damascus steel version of Ice is still available from Valyrian Steel in remaining small quantities. ORDER IT RIGHT NOW!!! (He who hesitates is lost.) The price is $700.00 (retail, only 250 were made with the Damascus blade) + $20.00 for shipping. (The OP stainless steel version is selling for that right now.)

Keep watch closely (and very regularily) from now on at eBay--search using both Valyrian Steel + Ice, or VS + Longclaw and other similar search parameters when doing so.

Also check Amazon and the Objects of Ice and Fire section here pretty often, too.

And be prepared to pay Collector Prices when the swords do show up. Your competition will be monied and likely fierce, too, the most monied usually winning the auction. (I speak from experience: I've won more than 3000 auctions at eBay since 1998.)

I really wanted Longclaw or Ice, but the site siad they are both sold out :( and im guessing there is no other way to get my hands on one of these swords ???

The ones that are sold out are the book series swords desgined by GRRM and Valyrian Steel (they were limited edition only). However the TV show versions will be released within the next 12 months and they will never sell out.

Longclaw, unfortunately, is now OP from Battleorder.uk, as well--I just checked their website, LongNightswatch. But they still have the stainless steel version Ice for 247.00 Pounds (plus shipping); this just may be the only retailer that still has the stainless Ice in stock.

TheWildWolf, if you read this, I'd suggest ordering Ice IMMEDIATELY; he (or she) who hesitates is lost! Ice will gone very soon from them.

Sworn Shield: I don't think Valyrian Steel has annouced their edition policy on any of their forthcoming HBO series swords. I suspect they'll be opened-ended on the stainless steel versions, but we really don't know yet--unless you've read or heard something elsewhere. But I do wonder if their HBO license will allow them to offer any special Damascus-blade versions of any swords produced.

I doubt the swords will be produced forever; it may all depend on if the series goes the distance and becomes one of HBO's longest running series. Right now it looks good, but HBO is only renewing the show season by season; time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Longclaw-Sword-of-Jon-Snow-Officially-licensed-from-A-Game-of-Thrones-/160924318533?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=EIIxOk83v%2Bs0fh4umq7qrNYmoRU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now that's just crazy. The last Damascus steel Longclaws were resold for $2,000, but that's just the stainless steel one. Although the wording almost makes it sound like that was the actual sword used on the set of Big Bang Theory, but I don't think that's what they meant because of the "edition" wording. But maybe someone thought so...

Well, I predicted this might happen in one of my early posts on these Valyrian swords (in one of the Objects of Ice and Fire-related topics here). I've seen this happen all to often: When a very hot collectible superheats, the sky's the limit on auction prices.

And the Ice and Fire series has sold millions and the HBO series is watched by even more, creating even more readers. This feedback loop creates an increasing market-demand among Serious Collectors. This could well mean future Valyrian offerings will sell-out much more quickly and then rapidly escalate in value; hang on to your checkbooks and credit cards, it's going to becomie a more expensive ride.

BTW, the copy of the V.S. Longclaw seen in "The Bang Bang Theory" is still hanging on the apartment wall, near the front door, in all current episodes; it's become a regular show prop.

• 4 weeks later...

I just dropped by Valyrian's main Web page to both price and get a look at their new Hound's Helm offering ($300.00) and noticed that the Damascus Ice is now OOP, too. Watch the prices begin to really escalate on the aftermarket for this version, too. (Time for me to get Serious about Needle, Baratheon's Warhammer, and the Dragonglass set, just as soon as I recover for Xmas spending.)

The coming Hound's Helm will have wait; but I'll be watching closely how it sells, since it's the first of Valyrian's major HBO "Game of Thrones" offerings.

Archived