Is it worth buying Valyrian Steel Swords?

AngrySoviet

Anybody buy the Catspaw blade? I think its too intricate to fit the description in the books, but its still nice and the plaque looks good. Wish I had money to buy all of them lol.

No, it's too... i don't know... bright or something? There's something about it I don't like. I considered getting in on the pre order to try to get an early number but decided against it and actually ended up ordering the dragonglass dagger set.

I will be getting this however :)

http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/swords/robb-stark/prod_21.html

Did Robb Stark have a specific sword? I cant remember ever hearing of one in the books. I dont wanna buy a random sword that has nothing to do with Robb or the book.

I really wanna buy Longclaw or Ice but by the time I even heard of the site it was too late and have been searching for months with no luck. Now all of a sudden theyre hitting eBay but they are 3 times the original price! Anyone think maybe they will make a few more since the others sold so well?

Im really hoping for Dawn or Widow's Wail or Oathkeeper but I dont know if that will happen. Unless someone here wants to hook me up and sell me their Longclaw or Ice for a realistic price???

Did Robb Stark have a specific sword? I cant remember ever hearing of one in the books. I dont wanna buy a random sword that has nothing to do with Robb or the book.

The items they're making from now on will be based on the props used in the show. They're planning to make all the important weapons as they appear in the coming seasons.

I checked their facebook and Oathkeeper is 100% coming out soon and a Stark shield that holds 3 swords. They are also releasing a "show version" of Longclaw and Ice. Im not sure how different they will be though.

I cant wait.

Seems like the direction they are going right now is concentrating on the show replicas as the Hound's Helm, Catspaw Blade, and now Robb Stark's sword have all gone up within recent few weeks. I would expect to see the show replicas of Ice and Longclaw to appear pretty soon. According to VS they should look exactly like the Ice and Longclaw in HBO's Game of Thrones and will have similar prices to the ones they previously sold. They will also have a damascus version of those. As for oathkeeper I did see that it was coming but I would guess not for a while as that is a show replica it seems they have not yet even finished with that design

Seems like the direction they are going right now is concentrating on the show replicas as the Hound's Helm, Catspaw Blade, and now Robb Stark's sword have all gone up within recent few weeks. I would expect to see the show replicas of Ice and Longclaw to appear pretty soon. According to VS they should look exactly like the Ice and Longclaw in HBO's Game of Thrones and will have similar prices to the ones they previously sold. They will also have a damascus version of those. As for oathkeeper I did see that it was coming but I would guess not for a while as that is a show replica it seems they have not yet even finished with that design

Valyrian Steel has said they're going to make book and show versions of most props in ASoIaF. Oathkeeper, excitingly, they might even make a scabbard for!!! Perhaps, most excitingly, they've confirmed that they are going to make a replica of PRINCE OBERYN'S SPEAR. EDIT: Perhaps I should clarify... I didn't see a direct confirmation, but they said that they plan on making it.

Anyway, as an owner of Ice, Longclaw and Robert's Warhammer (very soon the Night's Watch kit and the Hound's Helm), these items are ABSOLUTELY worth it. They. Are. Fantastic. They're so beautiful, very hefty and an absolute blast to handle. Also, just for kickers... I got my Longclaw for about $450. The most recent one on eBay sold for $1500. They will only go up in rarity and value and desire, much like an actual Valyrian Steel blade.

One problem is that any book-based prop must first be approved by GRRM himself. They have been working on concept art for Oathkeeper for going on six years now and they still haven't found the good fit.

To the above poster: I agree about the Catspaw blade. It just feels far too vibrant for such a gritty, dark scenario that it was used for. I'll still buy it, though, because I am a damn addict.

Let me correct some things.

1. The Oathkeeper we are working on now is a book replica, we also intend to do it in a show replica.

2. It hasn't been 6 years in the making, about 18 months. Which is still a long time. GRRM is very busy. There was actually so movement on it today though so :)

3. Catspaw Blade - I don't want to be spoilerly for anyone not fully read up, but we do all know who was the owner of the knife, and that it was a gift to him and placed in his collection. Now, it is said in the books that it was relatively plain other than it had a hilt made of dragonbone and a blade of valyrian steel. But that it had no gold or gems on it. The person who selected the knife didn't recognize the value of the materials though and thought it was an unremarkable knife, because he was an ignorant little bastard. I actually had an email from GRRM today where he mentioned he really liked the design even though it is different from the books because it has gold and gems on it. It is unreasonably different? I don't think so - considering who owned it. Knowing who paid the catspaw and how his mind works we cannot really apply logic to his choice of murder weapon. Anyways, it is what HBO's people designed, so it is what me made. Personally I really like it, it is fun to hold, fits the hand nice, feels solid, looks both beautiful and intimidating.

4. While we'll probably make a red viper spear eventually if it is something cool used on the show - we've far from confirmed it.

5. We're not concentrating on show replicas or book replicas. With a show replica we take something designed already and reproduce it. It is much much faster. With book replicas, we have to design something from the ground up, actually many somethings, and then show it to GRRM like a police lineup and see which one he likes, or which features, then we recombine and show him again. Lots of tweaking, lots of changes. It takes much much longer - especially considering reviewing our sword designs is not GRRM's full time job, he has other responsibilities. So the fact that we've got more stuff happening with the show is just because the show replicas are quicker and easier.

1. The Oathkeeper we are working on now is a book replica, we also intend to do it in a show replica.

Would the book replica have the red and black ripples in the blade like in the book? I dont know if that is actually even possible, but I think it would be cool. Also, is it coming with a scabbard like someone above said?

On the page to order Robb's sword it says that the prototype may change, is that there for a just in case or do you plan on making changes?

Aside from being shorter and the way the wolf head pommel faces, i think, are there any other major changes between how book Longclaw looks and show Longclaw will look?

You dont have an extra book Longclaw laying around that you'd want to sell me, do you? lol

Yes, we intend to do black and red ripples in the metal, there is a way, it'll be spectacular. It will not come with a scabbard.

The "prototype may change" message is just a catchall caveat. We don't intend to do anything.

You can tell the changes from the book Longclaw vs the show Longclaw simply by looking at pictures.

Book:

http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/images/uploads/longclaw-long2.jpg

Show:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/26300000/Jon-sword-Longclaw-jon-snow-26321626-1365-2048.jpg

The stainless steel replica will not have the damascus pattern on the show one, otherwise it will look like the prop.

Sorry, no extra Longclaws lying around. I kept the damascus prototype for myself and that is the only one left.

Proud owner of Ice #1279 and Longclaw #1761. My fiance gave me Ice as a birthday gift last year and I loved it so much it has pushed me into becoming ASoIaF collector.... however it does get pricey. I would love to order all of the items off Valyriansteel.com but that will take some time. I will likely be buying each item based on its scarcity. When Longclaw was down to 100 in stock, I placed an order to make sure I didn't miss out.

I am thinking Robert's War hammer is the next most popular item... or at least that’s my assumption. When they start getting low in stock, I will have to buy one.

We have both Needle and War hammer in our home and I have to agree with everyone else when they say it's absolutely worth it - especially when you can pick them up from Valyrian directly. Even on eBay the price is worth it to some folks, personally we can't stomache the asking prices popping up lately so we've more or less contented ourselves with ordering them before they sell out when we can.

Already put in our preorder for the Hound's Helm and are positive it will live up to our high expectations. I have to agree the Catspaw blade did very little for me, as has (sadly) Robb's sword. I'm not knocking the products or their designs, just that they're not our thing -- that being said we'll definitely be in line when Longclaw show version and Oathkeeper are released. They do great work, I'd recommend them to anyone.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It really depends on what you're wanting to do with the piece. For a wall hanger I say go for it. If you want something unique or you want to put your own interpretation into a sword there are other options. You can commission a piece(expensive) from a blade smith that you could display, and actually use/train/cut with. You can also go a 3 rd route and order a "bare blade" which is a high carbon functional sword that you can ad your own parts to and design your own version of the book swords. http://kultofathena.com/bareblades.asp

Valyrian Steel makes some nice looking stuff(especially the night watch obsidian) but some of it is really ridiculous IMO. Look at the catspaw valyrian steel dagger for example, the book describes it being a very simple/plain dagger of excellent valyrian steel with a dragon bone hilt. Their version is a fantasy shaped blade with a gold wrought "gem" inlaid hilt seen here http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/swords/catspaw-blade/prod_20.html

Bottom line if you want an HBO licensed wallhanger they are the place to go. If you want a functional quality steel blade there are much better options.

• 2 weeks later...

Valyrian Steel makes some nice looking stuff(especially the night watch obsidian) but some of it is really ridiculous IMO. Look at the catspaw valyrian steel dagger for example, the book describes it being a very simple/plain dagger of excellent valyrian steel with a dragon bone hilt. Their version is a fantasy shaped blade with a gold wrought "gem" inlaid hilt seen here http://www.valyrians...de/prod_20.html

Bottom line if you want an HBO licensed wallhanger they are the place to go. If you want a functional quality steel blade there are much better options.

VS's Catspaw blade is an exact replica of the prop used in the show, not the book. Apples and oranges, my friend.

• 1 year later...

if you want to waste your money, thats your issue. Any kind of replica sword is going to be cheap crap, and virtually unusable. As for hanging it on your wall or something, they may look cool, but i think you will be disappointed in that area too. As for Roberts "warhammer", the website says it only weighs ten pounds. In the book, Ned Stark wasn't strong enough to weild it. I constantly use an eight pound sledgehammer at work to bust shit up, with a plastic handle. If i was going to bu something based off of epic weapons, i would want it to be epic as well, not overpriced cheap doodoo.

• 3 weeks later...

if you want to waste your money, thats your issue. Any kind of replica sword is going to be cheap crap, and virtually unusable. As for hanging it on your wall or something, they may look cool, but i think you will be disappointed in that area too. As for Roberts "warhammer", the website says it only weighs ten pounds. In the book, Ned Stark wasn't strong enough to weild it. I constantly use an eight pound sledgehammer at work to bust shit up, with a plastic handle. If i was going to bu something based off of epic weapons, i would want it to be epic as well, not overpriced cheap doodoo.

That "overpriced cheap doodoo" hanging on my wall was selling for 1500 last I checked. I have not personally been disappointed with how it looks hanging on my wall either. Seems you might be the one with the "issue"... not the people buying things they like.

Archived