Is it worth buying Valyrian Steel Swords?

AngrySoviet

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for it, but it does say "General Discussion of ASOIAF" so hey, what the hell.

I have been considering buying something from Valyrian steel for a while, I'm into collectibles and it may even be worth something from the future. Did any of you guys buy it? If so, what item do you recommend? Are you satisfied with the quality?

I was thinking about getting Ice, till I heard it's length makes it wobbly and insecure in the hilt. So I might just go for Longclaw. Not sure if I want the stainless steel version or Damascus steel.

Depends what you want to use it for- Stainless looks nicer on a wall, while Damascus is better for holding the "Valyrian" pattern, and if you're going to be using it Damascus is tougher. As for Ice being wobbly that's an unfortunate side-effect of a greatsword- with length and power comes lack of stability and weakness in the hilt, which is why many historic Scottish and German greatswords had the first foot or so of the blade wrapped in leather, to give the swordsman something else to hold onto.

Personally, I'd wait to get Robert's Warhammer or the Night's Watch kit, but that's just me. Personally- I just want all of their products [My sister wants Needle- she identifies with Arya quite a bit :P]

Depends what you want to use it for- Stainless looks nicer on a wall, while Damascus is better for holding the "Valyrian" pattern, and if you're going to be using it Damascus is tougher. As for Ice being wobbly that's an unfortunate side-effect of a greatsword- with length and power comes lack of stability and weakness in the hilt, which is why many historic Scottish and German greatswords had the first foot or so of the blade wrapped in leather, to give the swordsman something else to hold onto.

Personally, I'd wait to get Robert's Warhammer or the Night's Watch kit, but that's just me. Personally- I just want all of their products [My sister wants Needle- she identifies with Arya quite a bit :P]

Well, I'm not planning to decapitate anybody any time soon, so I'm just going to go with the display purpose of the swords :P. The main reason I want Damascus steel is that it has better quailty, doesn't rust as much, etc. Robert's Warhammer does look quite badass, but I'm more of a sword type of guy... if only they came out with Oathkeeper, I'd make my choice.

And that's very interesting about wrapping the leather around the sword, I never heard that before. It actually makes sense, it always confused me as to why people did that in movies and video games... do you mean that it stabilized the sword's hilt, or that they actually held the sword by the leather strip instead of the steel hilt?

And that's very interesting about wrapping the leather around the sword, I never heard that before. It actually makes sense, it always confused me as to why people did that in movies and video games... do you mean that it stabilized the sword's hilt, or that they actually held the sword by the leather strip instead of the steel hilt?

The latter. Hilt weakness was not a major problem with period blades, though. The leather wrap is an after-the-fact way to get the same effect as an unsharpened area (called a ricasso), which makes half-swording possible without the need for mailed gloves.

I was trying to get across the idea that greatswords are unwieldly, coupled with the fact that Ice is designed for "real" Valyrian steel, and not actual steel with a smokey pattern, probably has something to do with the lack of stability in the hilt as a "true" Valyrian blade wouldn't put as much stress on it. And those non-rust reasons for Damascus are good too :P Unless you want it shiny, in which case go with stainless. However, as "true" Valyrian blades are supposed to be quite dark compared to actual steel, so if you want the "Valyrian" look, I'd go with Damascus.

And those non-rust reasons for Damascus are good too :P Unless you want it shiny, in which case go with stainless. However, as "true" Valyrian blades are supposed to be quite dark compared to actual steel, so if you want the "Valyrian" look, I'd go with Damascus.

Their Damascus is high-carbon, and will rust like crazy if you aren't careful. It will definitely look better if you care for it though.

• 3 weeks later...

It's weird, the bust looks exactly like HBO show Dany, but the weapons all look different and, I must say, not nearly as good. In particular I find it odd that Ice would have "winter is coming" on the hilt.

Well these are designed from the book's descriptions and can afford to me more fanciful vs the much more gritty and functional needs of the HBO series.

It all depends on what angle you want to approach the question from. As a family heirloom handed down generations over the course of thousands of years, I can totally see the inscription of the Stark family placed on a very ornate type hilt.

Of course if you approach the issue from the standpoint of the very rough and utilitarian nature of the Starks, then the hilt with its inscription seems oddly counter to the Stark tradition and personality and the HBO version would appear to me more appropriate and true to the Stark spirit.

Bear in mine that all designs are subject to final approval by George RR Martin himself who signed off on the inscription with no problems whatsoever.

Either case, as Valyrian Steel has managed to secure the rights to the weapons and armour of the HBO series as well, if you don't like the book version, there will be an opportunity soon enough to get the HBO Ice with the simpler hilt with no inscription soon enough . . . :)

We made Ice fancier because the Starks have been kings for thousands of years. Winterfell is an amazing castle with much wealth. White Habor alone is very wealthy, larger in the books than King's Landing is in the show, and is subservient to Winterfell. Overall HBO made things poorer and smaller (armies, populations) than in the books. They took closer equivalents of earth cultures from the medieval time periods, where a ruler might come from a dynasty hundreds of years old, perhaps. I'm sure it also saves money from a TV perspective, as well as making the show more understandable by fitting it better within a time period of earth's history.

In GRRM's world though these cultures are far older, probably closer to how Chinese history went with a rule lasting thousands of years. How much wealth could the Stark's have amassed over thousands of years of ruling half a continent? Especially when you think that their glory days are past them, imagine the wealth and power of the civilization when they built the Wall, had more villages in the North like Queenscrown, or put up the Tower in Old Town?

So, would the ceremonial sword of a King who ruled half a continent that was passed down for a thousand+ years be a little fancy? We thought so (as did GRRM, who ultimately is the one who picks designs). Even then of course, it isn't really that fancy.

I have both Longclaw and Needle hanging on my wall. The pictures of Longclaw on the site don't do it justice, it's a true work of art. I was surprised by how heavy and sturdy it is, very well made. Needle is also a beautiful piece, and looks just like how I imagined it from the book. You won't be disappointed with either of these blades.

1. Gosh, I was so excited to see that the swords are available. since I guess they wont be adding Dawn anytime soon (:P) I am pretty much having a hard time chosing between Ice and Longclaw. Ice has bigger reputation and "aura" around it for my taste, as well as the story, but Longclaw seems phsyically much more suitable for me (and also the handle is absoulotley beautiful). Not John's biggest fan, though.

I contacted them and I hope they will be able to ship it to Israel.

I would wait before purchasing swords right now, if i remember correctly Valyrian Steel not to long ago got the Rigths to make official replicas of the swords as they actually look in the show. Their current swords are nice and look good but they look nothing like the swords from the show, with the exception of Long Claw looking pretty close.

I would wait before purchasing swords right now, if i remember correctly Valyrian Steel not to long ago got the Rigths to make official replicas of the swords as they actually look in the show. Their current swords are nice and look good but they look nothing like the swords from the show, with the exception of Long Claw looking pretty close.

Their swords pre-date the show, so they're not supposed to represent what's seen on tv. They're based on the descriptions from the books.

Archived