Let's Have a Kingsmoot For The Iron Throne

Out of all the actual contenders, Stannis seems to be the best option, as I always say, with Davos as his hand and Melisandre dead.

I also consider Mance to be a great king for his people, one that really cares and want nothing else but keep them safe.

And amongst the youngest generation, Jon hands down is the best king I can imagine. Pretty good leader, fair, just, his father's (Ned) son when it comes to do the right thing. He just needs someone to act as a PR for him, so a good hand, like Sam, Davos, or even Tyrion.

I still believe Dany has potentional to be a good leader WITH the right council by her side. I like the idea of Stannis as her hand and they would compliment each other. She needs a more firm, consistent way of ruling and Stannis needs a little flexibility and adaptability to his approach of ruling. They both can learn and benefit each other if they can just get over themselves. Oh, and Drogon's stomach would have long met Melisandre at this point.

As for people not contending for the throne, I do think Jon would be a good king but I want him on the wall as Lord Commmander. The Wall needs Jon Snow. I do think Ned Stark with Davos as his hand would have been extremely successful.

All kneel before Stannis of the House Baratheon, the First of his Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the realm!

/bend one knee/

Based on the premise, "Who would be the best ruler", I'd choose Jon as to what I see as his inherent foresightedness and a clear, logical sense of what would be not only right but the most strategic decision/plan/organization, based on the way he has approached the very, very difficulties at play at the Wall. But I can't see him choosing to be ruler of Westeros, and if he did, he'd need to share more of his motives/stategy with his council, invoke their feedback as well.

I haven't been a fan of Stannis, but the more I post in threads which consider different aspects of him, I surprise myself. Of all who are current 'contenders', I do think he would be the best ruler, provided he does not allow himself to be swayed or deluded by Mel (I still don't trust her) and provided he continues to have the very positive, vital, and wise trait of seeking counsel from others, then weighing what he thinks best based on input that he has received [and, of course, continuing to value Davos and his input].

I also think that Tyrion would make an excellent ruler, based on what I think was the truly admirable job he did as Hand; however, I'm aware that many of his non-nonsense tactics would be disliked (e.g., his imprisoning Pycelle when he found him in bed with a whore, though that was likely not his only reason). But compared to Robert, who did virtually no ruling at all, IMO, his tactics could be considered 'sterling'. I think he may be too thoroughly disliked or ridiculed in Westeros, however, for him to be as effective a ruler as is needed.

Having to make a choice, though, I'd pick Stannis, "for the good of the realm".

Out of anyone, alive or dead or undead, I'd pick Lady Catelyn. She's sensible and wants peace, yet she's not a fool. I think she would have been a rather adept player of the game if she had just been given the chance.

Out of those currently alive, yeah, I suppose I'd go with Stannis. He's just, firm and would keep the peace well.

I think the Iron Throne should be destroyed.... my ideal scenario is that the pots of wildfire that mad king Aerys had prepared will explode and the Iron Throne will melt down. End of the Story :)

You have a piont, but for me restoring the rightful dynasty is more important.And besides with a capable enough hand ether of them can do fine.

What makes them the rightful dynasty? If it's because they fought for it and won, then by that same token the Baratheons are now the rightful dynasty.

I don't think Jon Snow would be a good choice. He makes some tragic mistakes in his command of the Night's Watch, earning the enmity of Bowen Marsh and the others and sending his friends and supporters (Grenn, Pyp, Sam) away, so that he's isolated amongst enemies. His heart is perhaps in the right place, but he makes horrible mistakes. Until ADWD, I might have said Daenerys. She has the dragons, of course, and has the courage, shows considerable skill in matters of battle strategy and she gains the love of the people. I'm also all for her anti-slavery campaign. But then she tried to rule in Meereen and made a mess of it. She let crimes go unpunished because they were committed by slaves, turned the Meereenese nobles against her, her distribution of justice is all over the place, incoherent and careless, and she makes mistakes constantly. Stannis I think is too harsh and cold, he will never gain the support of either the people or the lords of Westeros. Tommen is a sweet kid, but hasn't shown any qualities worthy of a leader (but he is very young, so you never know). I think though, after all the little guy has been through, Cersei's manipulations, everybody using him etc., I would just like to see him live the rest of his days happily as the Lord of Casterly Rock. Tyrion would be a great king- he's smart, his heart is in the right place, despite his attempts to persuade everyone of how evil he is, but he's become too bitter lately, plus he has no claim to the throne (I assumed above that R+L=J is true and that it will eventually be made public). Many people bash the Young Griff as being a fake, but really, even if he is a fake, he seems like he could grow to be a great king (he's not there yet), as long as he escapes the manipulations of Illyrio, Varys and Co. I also hope Jon and Daenerys will mature and learn from their mistakes (I will assume Jon somehow survives). And since the dragon has three heads, my choice would be a shared rule between Daenerys, Jon and Aegon (if he's real?), with Tyrion as the wise Hand. People have said before that Daenerys could have more than one husband... But, seriously, I think a good king would be a combination of Tyrion and Eddard Stark. The Tyrion thing I have explained above, and Eddard, though people call him stupid, I think was a good lord. His smallfolk loved him. From what we hear from his family, he gave very good advice on how to rule to his sons, he had skill in battle strategy, and even in treating with other lords. Remember when the lord from the Sisters told Davos that Eddard persuaded his father to help him? The whole thing at King's Landing was where he failed, but imo, it was a case of you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

I beleive that R+L=J so that makes Jon the rightful King but he has taken holy vows so I would go with him choosing Stannis or Danerys as his regent subject to his veto or perhaps he should pick Davos who would be better than either one of them.

Jon, and not because of his likely parentage but because he's strong, just, compassionate, resolute and thoughtful. He would need a shrewd Hand to mitigate his naiveté in matters concerning political backstabbing (heh no kidding) to help him rule, ofcourse. He would need Tyrion. Those 2 together are a recipe for a peaceful realm, and some great conversation.

What makes them the rightful dynasty? If it's because they fought for it and won, then by that same token the Baratheons are now the rightful dynasty.

Aegon the Conqeror didn't take the title of king of westeros from someone he created it for himself, he was first.And it was the Targaryens that eventually united the petty kingdoms of Westeros into a single realm.No matter what enyone sais, for me there is no one more rightful than them.

Aegon the Conqeror didn't take the title of king of westeros from someone he created it for himself, he was first.And it was the Targaryens that eventually united the petty kingdoms of Westeros into a single realm.No matter what enyone sais, for me there is no one more rightful than them.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculously illogical I find it. He did take Westeros, just in pieces. Let's say someone goes to six different people and steals one bottle of beer from each of them to form his own six-pack. Does the fact that he made a six-pack excuse his stealing? Apparently you think it does.

And that's pretty much what Aegon did, only in terms of land. He took it from the Starks and the Gardeners and the Arryns and the Lannisters and the Storm Kings. And eventually someone took it from his descendants in turn. The Targs stole from more established families and then their scions threw a bitch fit when they in turn were displaced. They had it coming.

The funny thing is, even if you cling to your Targ love, based on their own unique primogeniture practices, Stannis' claim is probably better than Dany's anyway.

Archived