ASOIAF and real medieval history

eidius

Militarily, I'd regard it as being similar to Western Europe in 1300 or so. My impression is that most men at arms wear mail, rather than plate, and while longbows are a useful weapon, no one has yet come up with the idea of massed volley fire from longbowmen in the way that Edward III did.

Read this: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1250/

Essos is even more puzzling - militarily they seem further behind than even Westeros. The Doom of Valyria is reminiscent of the Minoan explosion of Thera and the destruction of Akrotiri - which happened around 1500 BC. An advanced culture that was destroyed by a cataclysmic volcanic eruption - in some theories inspired Plato's writings on the lost city of Atlantis.

Actually, Martin said recently that the Doom of Valyria was based on the explosions of Mount Tarawera that destroyed the Pink and White Terraces in New Zealand, Krakatoa and Vesuvius.

But that just lends even more credence to your point. Martin doesn't take from just one period, he draws from many different eras to make things his own.

(you know your obsessed when this happens!)

I was just reading a book, and it was talking about Jack Cades rebellion. (wikipedia time!) Apparently during the rebellion he had to execute one of his captains for 'disciplinary reasons.' Similarity to Rickard Karstark anyone?

That is an awesome picture Godric!

That sort of thing happens a lot. My favourite is from the battle of Tewkesbury when the Duke of Somerset was so aggravated by the inadequate support received from his co-commander Baron Wenlock that, according to legend at least, he rode over and killed him in the middle of the battle. I can imagine Gregor Clegane doing something like that.

That sort of thing happens a lot. My favourite is from the battle of Tewkesbury when the Duke of Somerset was so aggravated by the inadequate support received from his co-commander Baron Wenlock that, according to legend at least, he rode over and killed him in the middle of the battle. I can imagine Gregor Clegane doing something like that.

Maybe his title should be The mountain that rides...over inadequate co-commander!

I would say its Europe in the early 1400's in most of westeros, with the north being slightly behind the rest of Europe, maybe post-bannockburn Scotland being a suitable comparison. Medical theory seems to be ahead of real medieval thought, especially since autopsies are performed in the citadel, something that the Church banned in real life. The reach is France, river lands are the Rhineland, vale is south Germany/Austria, while essos seems like the lands around the Mediterranean.

Archived